What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Turn Ons & Turn Offs  (Read 9906 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Turn Ons & Turn Offs
« on: December 29, 2005, 11:28:37 am »
Well, I'm trying to get geared up for 2006 and this is the time of year where I try to evaluate areas that I can improve upon as a spa-selling profeshnul.  I realize that I have my faults and weaknesses as far as providing the customer with an exceptional shopping experience, so I'm looking to the fine folks on this board for some feedback in order to do a better job.

This topic has been covered before (I believe), but now there are some new members and I am anxious to hear what ya'll have to say.

What were some of the best moments you encountered when shopping for your spa?  What were some of the worst experiences that left an impression with you?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Terminator
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 11:29:17 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

Turn Ons & Turn Offs
« on: December 29, 2005, 11:28:37 am »

Chris_H

Re: Turn Ons & Turn Offs
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 11:52:10 am »
The first thing I would do is get rid of any guns or mounted deer heads in your store.  I know you are from Texas and all, but guns in a retail store.  It certainly would be a turnoff to me, but I am from the Northeast.

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 11:54:53 am »
term,
hope you have a great '06.
Marquis dealer

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 12:08:53 pm »
Hey Term....happy new year to you.

A couple of things that still stand out to me....

1.  Don't knock the competition.  I may like the tub you're knocking just as much, if not more than your tub, so essentially you're telling me "My baby is ugly".

2.  To go with point #1, just talk about the benefits of your tub as they compare with other tubs.  Also, please don't tell me your tub is the best.  There are a lot of good tubs out there.

3.  Allow me to wet test whatever model I'm interested in.  (I'd never buy a car without testing the exact model)

4.  Offer me the opportunity to purchase....don't ram it down my throat.  I think that most consumers are pretty savvy these days.....they realize that deals can be had at many different times of the year.

I think that's about it.  Good luck to you and your store in '06.

Mark

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 12:24:12 pm »
I think true honesty shows through.
I prefer knowledgeable salesmen who are kind and smile alot over the smiling phony ones who are trying too hard to make a sale.
I think it's important to have the most popular models filled with water for wet testing.
My local dealer didn't have the Grandee ready for wet testing.
Changing areas/privacy/cleanliness (as recently talked about)
is also very important.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 12:25:17 pm by Markus »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 12:30:44 pm »
Thanks socal, I appreciate it.  Good luck to you as well. :)

Mark, those are points well worth remembering.  I sometimes find myself swallowing my tongue to not get baited by a customer into badmouthing the competition.  Once in a while, a wiley customer will throw out "The Seamonkey Spa dealer said your spas are white because HS won't put color in them because it would reduce their profit margins.  Is this true?"  Obviously, they are checking to see your reaction.

When I was a young, passionate little fella, I would react with indignation and proceed to tell them what a jackass the Seamonkey dealer is and that his spas would probably melt if you added hot water to them.  Nowadays, I just look contemplatingly at the customer and say "I'm sorry to hear them say that.  How did it make you feel when they started saying such things?"  Customers lie like dogs to salespeople (that's OK, comes with the territory), and it's all about taking what they give you and using it to help the customer in spite of themselves.

Oh, Chris H, don't worry.  No deer heads or stuffed possums and such, only competitors' scalps on the wall.  No guns here, only hot tubs, service, friendship, and understanding. :)

Terminator  

Rmack

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 12:39:28 pm »
I agree that not knocking the competition is a big plus. When a sales person starts telling me how much better there spa is over the competition and you only need to change the filters every 11/2 to 2 years, It puts me in a situation where I don't believe anything that they say.

I think being honest with the customer will definitely sell more spas in the long run.

If possible, a wet test area away from most of the traffic would also be a big plus.

Ron

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 01:08:18 pm »
You might want to loose the bell bottoms, and polyseter shirt with the extra wide collar and the dozen of gold chains.

Oh yea, Hai Karate! is no longer cool and stop doing that damn moonwalk when ever you make a sale. Youre'  scaring most of the customer's away.

Oh yea, when a customer does a wet test, you gotta stop surprising them by jumping out of the coner in your speedo  screaming "Do I make you randy Baby? Do I ? Oh Behave!"

/hey, you asked.....
;)
07 Caldera Geneva

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 01:54:19 pm »
I know I'm a different kind of shopper but I like to look at what is available by myself and not have a salesperson yapping in my ear and following me around.  After I've looked around then, I would welcome a salesperson to answer my questions and to go over the features of the spas that I liked.

Unless your dealership encourages haggling over the price, then post the price and list what that price includes.   I hated having to ask the price.  If the price is firm then post it, don't make me ask.  Or better yet, I visited one dealership that actually had a small brochure that listed the price and the details of each spa.  That was nice to have once I got home since I wouldn't have remembered the different prices or features of the spas.

Don't ask me my budget or how much I can afford.  I felt that was my business and I never answered.  My mission was to find the spa that I liked not one based on the price.

Don't call me at home and ask if you can send me a DVD and brochure and then send it postage due.  ::)

Best of luck in '06, Term!

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 01:55:08 pm »
Sales is a challenging profession.  Have big ears, meaning listen carefully to what the prospect is saying.  Ask questions to draw the prospect out.  If they tell you that they are also considering other spas, ask them what the other spas offer that they like.  Try to discover as much as you can about their needs/wants/priorities before showing them your offerings and explaining the features and benefits of same.  

Several people have told you not to knock the competition and I would agree.  It is possible to overcome competition by demonstrating the unique advantages of your products that you know are superior and asking the prospect to participate in the comparison by acknowledging and agreeing with each point you make.  This approach takes longer and requires you to know your competition.  An astute prospect will react favorably to such an approach because of your knowledge and objectivity.

In the end sales is all about establishing a rapport and trust with the prospect.  To that end, in addition to what you say or do during the prospect's brief time in your store, it is possible to bring third party testimonial support into the sales process.  This can be done by asking each client (i.e. a client is an ex-prospect who has purchased your products and services) to fill out a brief questionaire that is designed to elicit favorable comments.  These can be filled out at delivery, or a week or so after delivery when the bloom is still on the rose.  Have very favorable ones pinned on a bulletin board in the showroom, or have them in a 3 ring binder that prospects have easy access to.

Stay in touch with your clients with a periodic news letter.  The letter can be short and filled with pictures of new or exceptionally nice installations.  Nice client installations also make nice blowup pictures on the walls in the showroom, another way to reinforce to your clients that they made a good decision to buy from you, and simultaneously another subtle way to gain 3rd party support.  Also in the newsletter you can feature new models, offer a coupon deal on a featured accessory or chems or what not.  People buy new cars every few years, why not new hottubs?  Maybe your best prospects for new business are your existing clients.

Always wait until you have earned the right to do so, but never fail to ask for the order.  

My consulting bill will be in the mail.  ;-)

Regards,

Bill

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 02:11:26 pm »
SO to get this streight I should have no deer heads in my store, and I swear I read that the polyester and wide collar was coming back. What am i going to do with the goose I just had mounted for my store? ;)

Good Luck Term you will do great in 2006!
-SpaMan~

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 02:32:13 pm »
Guns don't bother me as long as they aren't pointed at me.  :o

Most people looking to buy a hot tub are confused and uneducated (me especially) so before I spent a bunch of dollars, I needed to be educated.  A dealer should be willing to do a little extra educating for the 1st time buyer.  (Thermspa was too busy selling me a tub to answer my questions.)

I also needed to be reassured that I wasn't on my own after the sale.  (I got that feeling from Pool City.)

The dealer is very important in that he be professional and reliable.  He doesn't have to wear a suit and all that other crap, but he should know his product, be personable and easy to talk to.  I know he is interested in selling a tub but he needs to make me feel he is also interested in my satisfaction.

Finally, don't sell your tub by telling me how bad every other tub is.  Tell me about your tub.  How it is built and how that helps me.  And don't let me get blind-sided.  When I give you my money, I am also giving you my trust.

A store here in Pittsburgh has a slogan that goes:  "An educated consumer is a happy consumer."  ;D
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 03:20:04 pm »
Have to stretch my memory.  Its been almost 3 years now.

Off - A Coast salesman asked who else I was looking at and berated those competitors.

On - The salesman we bought from, now under indictment  :D,  answered all our questions and backed off when we needed time to talk with each other (my wife and I)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 03:22:09 pm »
Limit yourself to one follow-up phone call per customer, and wait at least a week or two after the first contact.

When we were shopping ,out of the 1/2 dozen dealers we visited, only one started multiple call backs, ended up being a real jeak.

if the customer doesn't return your call...take a hint!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 03:22:40 pm by johnvb »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 03:32:12 pm »

My consulting bill will be in the mail.  ;-)

Regards,

Bill

As will your check. ;)

Great, great information from everyone (except drewstar, I'm looking forward to parachute pants coming back into style!)

Thank ya'll so much.  When I get into a groove, it's sometimes hard to slow down and remember to treat each customer in the way that's best for them.  There's times when someone can walk in the door and I just say "Hello" and they're ready to buy and there's other day's when it just ain't gonna happen even if I rub their belly and tickle their mommas.

I'm actually off this week and a guy just called my cell phone that I talked to on Christmas Eve and he's on his way to buy an Envoy.  Next week I'll be busting my butt trying to sell spas and probably won't even get a whiff.  Such is life....

Terminator

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 03:32:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42