What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First impression  (Read 6166 times)

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
First impression
« on: December 29, 2005, 01:20:56 pm »
I am salesman for a HotSprings dealer and I am curious if the way a salesperson(I hate the salesperson term!) is dressed makes a difference.  I do believe a first impression matters alot. If so, what kind of look would make the consumer most comfortable? I personally think casual, casual, casual!  I could be wrong, wrong, wrong!  What do you think works best?

Hot Tub Forum

First impression
« on: December 29, 2005, 01:20:56 pm »

salesdvl

Re: First impression
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 01:29:28 pm »
At the dealership I worked at we used to wear business casual but with everyone's evolving opinion as to what was appropriate.  For example one young employee came to work in a hockey jersey.  When questioned she said it cost over $100.  So we adopted a beige pant and navy polo dress code.  The customer surveys that we sent out frequently came back that it was hard to determine who the employees were.  Going to a dress code helped that as well.

Footnote:  I havent worked there in almost a year now and I still cant wear beige pants with a navy shirt yet.  :-/  But my therapist says eventually I may be able to go with a medium blue.  maybe.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 01:29:48 pm by salesdvl »
Measure once, cut twice.

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 01:30:22 pm »
Casual.  Just don't wear those plaid slacks or sandals with socks! :o

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 01:53:48 pm »
My dealers employees wear some  type of khaki pant and  a polo shirt with the company name embroidered on the front chest opposite the pocket.  I think that looks very smart and helps you identify them quickly.  I hate having to ask someone (anywhere) if they work there!

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 02:03:41 pm »
You are absolutely right that first impressions are very, very important.  Whole books have been written on dressing for success.  You need to dress appropriately for the occassion.  Hot tubs are leisure time, recreational products.  So you need to avoid overdressing.  I think the advice of business causal is quite right, and the idea of a store issuing polo shirts with the company logo on them makes very good sense.  Pants and shoes that you can stand up in all day everyday, to complement the shirts would complete your attire.

A clean, neat, well groomed appearance would be essential.

Regards,

Bill

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 02:04:13 pm »
As a consumer, I would think that business casual is appropriate. I also think the dealership should spring for logo shirts as well.

People don't have to look like clones of each other but I believe as has been said it identifies the people who actually work there and it sets up an idea what the dealership requires of it's staff.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 02:19:09 pm »
Casual wear is fine with me, with maybe something on the person to identify them as an emloyee of the store.
When I'm shopping for high ticket items like spas, cars, and such, I am not really paying all that much attention to what the staff is wearing.

Just bath regularly, and lay off the high octane perfume or cologne.  And chomp a mint if you had garlic for lunch.
Brewman

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 02:47:49 pm »
It's a hot tub store.  If you come out dressed like a used car saleman, what should I think?  Be clean and casual.  Relaxed people spend more money.

No spiked blue hair, nose or eyebrow rings, jeans with holes or t-shirts with vulgarities on them.  Try to remember to wear socks unless you are wearing sandals.  And the Goth look is not impressive to anyone but children and stores that sell that stuff.  They may seem like small things, but us older people with money to spend notice that kind of stuff.  Do NOT play rap music in the background!

I shopped for a spa at the local PDC dealer and spent more time waiting for help than actually getting it. It took the well-pierced kid 10 minutes to come out of the back office where he was on the computer (playing a game?).  Then he kept interrupting our discussion for other customers, delievery men and phone calls.  By the time he was done I felt more like a nusiance than a customer.  Needless to say, I spent no money there.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 03:12:26 pm »
(I hate the salesperson term!)

Fine, I don't care much for you either!

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 03:22:00 pm »
I like neat casual.   It can be casual as long as the clothes are clean and decent looking.  Polo shirts with the company logo are fine.   Big Johnson T shirts and torn jeans are not.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 05:34:11 pm »
Polo shirts with the company logo are fine.   Big Johnson T shirts are not.

...especially if they have the logo as well.  ;)
220, 221, whatever it takes!

fatman

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 11:52:54 am »
First off, leave your personal cell phone with your other belongings. Nothing ticks me off more that a cell phone ringing while I am having a conversation with a salesman, especially if he takes the call. If you don't mind interupting our salesman/customer conversation then you don't mind losing a sale either.   Secondly, if you are going to go to the bother of wearing dress pants, shirt and a tie then please don't wear sneakers too. It makes you look like some fresh out of high school kid whose mother never told him how to dress correctly.
A nice casual approach will do just fine.  Keep the hair cut and looking nicely groomed. For heavens sake wear your pants at waist level. Nobody is interested in seeing your underwear no matter how trendy it may be. As far as in store atmosphere, please get off your butt and acknowledge my presence as I am walking in your store not 5 minutes after I have been looking around. Being ignored will not make a sale. If you are on the phone then at least throw me a quick wave. If you are speaking with another customer and I walk in your store, at least say "Hello".  Keep the store music volume down and avoid rap music.  In short, nothing beats professionalism.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 01:07:00 pm »
First off, leave your personal cell phone with your other belongings. Nothing ticks me off more that a cell phone ringing while I am having a conversation with a salesman, especially if he takes the call. If you don't mind interupting our salesman/customer conversation then you don't mind losing a sale either.

This is my biggest peeve about shoppers. I think they should turn off their cell phones when they enter the store. Especially when its busy and I could be helping someone else. I feel it shows no respect for me to take call after call while I am presenting my product. I really dont mind someone taking a quick call, but someone that takes 2 or more 3+ minute calls upsets me.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 01:16:10 pm »
I was going to go down that road, but since you already did, I'll just give a big fat DITTO. I don't know what makes customers think that just because you are a sales person that you deserve less respect than other higher beings. As for dress, I don't think there is anything wrong with a clean pair of nice jeans. However they have to be at waist level (already stated) and a nice shirt, button bown oxford or polo style.

This is my biggest peeve about shoppers. I think they should turn off their cell phones when they enter the store. Especially when its busy and I could be helping someone else. I feel it shows no respect for me to take call after call while I am presenting my product. I really dont mind someone taking a quick call, but someone that takes 2 or more 3+ minute calls upsets me.

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

fatman

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 03:09:15 pm »
I was going to go down that road, but since you already did, I'll just give a big fat DITTO. I don't know what makes customers think that just because you are a sales person that you deserve less respect than other higher beings. As for dress, I don't think there is anything wrong with a clean pair of nice jeans. However they have to be at waist level (already stated) and a nice shirt, button bown oxford or polo style.
You're right. Cell phone etiquette goes both ways, as does common courtesy, manners and respect.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 03:09:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42