What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Green Water  (Read 4709 times)

Snowbird

• What did he say?
Green Water
« on: December 26, 2005, 07:13:13 pm »
I swear that the water was NOT green when we put it in the tub.

But on Christmas Eve we noticed our water was turning green!  Oh no!  :o

When the dealer opened today I gave them a call and the tech said I probably have a case of algae and to throw a cup of Clorox in it tonight and stay out of it for 24 hours.  He is the mechanic and not the chemical expert, but he has seen it before and that was the cure.  The expert will not be available for a day or 2 (death in the family).

In the meantime, assuming this clears it up, how did this happen and what can I do to stop it in the future?

???
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Hot Tub Forum

Green Water
« on: December 26, 2005, 07:13:13 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: Green Water
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 08:21:47 pm »
I would reccomend doing a quick search here on green water and a few things should come up.  I just can't remember what the answers are, but I know we talk about it from time to time.

One thing that pops into my head is... what color was the room when you put the water in the tub and have you painted it since (but perhaps didn't look till Christmas Eve?)?  Could the green be a reflection?

Sorry I'm not more help.

sunnydee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 10:43:38 am »
I remember I had a problem with "green tinted" water because I had metals in my water. When I added Chlorine, thats when the "green" happened. I doubt its algae, I read somewhere on here that algae needs "light". I would imagine you have a cover on your tub. Do a search on the boards and good luck.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 10:47:48 am »
Get your water tested, that will at least indicate if you have any metals in your water which could account for the green tint.  

Has the Clorox done anything?  

Brewman

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 09:52:05 pm »
The Clorox worked.  :)  The green is gone and it smells a little, but that should go away in time.

I'm still a little confused about how the algae started and survived.  I will check with the dealer 1st chance I get.

Thanks for the advice.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 11:21:29 am »
When you check with the dealer, take a water sample with you. The water test should be free, however, I have heard of some dealers charging up to 10 bucks a test.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 11:58:23 am »
The Clorox worked.  :)  The green is gone and it smells a little, but that should go away in time.

I'm still a little confused about how the algae started and survived.  I will check with the dealer 1st chance I get.

Thanks for the advice.

Unless you leave the cover off or the light on all of the time, I highly doubt that it was algae.

Algae is a plant. Like any other plant, it does require some form of light for photosynthesis to happen.

My guess is it was metals that were oxidized through shocking or you are getting a condition that happens when you have 0 sanitizer for a period of time, sanitier is added and a yellow or green tint occurs. This usually clears up depending on how long there was no sanitizer.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 12:19:30 pm »
When you check with the dealer, take a water sample with you. The water test should be free, however, I have heard of some dealers charging up to 10 bucks a test.

Glad I can get my water tetsted for no charge.  The dealer who does it makes money off of all the chemicals I purchase, though.

Brewman

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 12:37:47 pm »
The way I look at it, the dealer does make money off the chemicals, however, look at all the money wasted, if someone was incorrectly treating there spa!! Well worth it as long as your dealer is competant.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 12:44:03 pm »
We offer:
"Free water testing to our loyal customers"

Simple enough.

If you want to buy your chems on-line, from HomeDepot or Walmart, get them to test your water...

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 12:52:40 pm »
That makes total sense. Since you will be most familiar with the chemicals you sell.  Its totally in the best interest of the consumer to use a reputable dealer for water testing and chemicals.

Brookenstein

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 01:02:41 pm »
Just curious what dealers test with and if/how it is different from what I test with at home.  I bought my spa used from a private party so I do not have a dealer.  I took my water to Leslie's Pool and Spa and was shocked that they just used the test strips I have at home to test.   ???  Yeah, that was a waste of a trip to town.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 01:11:56 pm »
I just put my high $ fancy computerized test kit in the trash!  I have maybe 2 or 3 people per month come in for water testing.  It usually consists of me taking a test strip, putting it in their water sample, and telling them to raise their pH and add more sanitizer.  Water care is just not that difficult and anyone who tells you differently is just trying to sell you something.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 01:30:06 pm »
Just curious what dealers test with and if/how it is different from what I test with at home.  I bought my spa used from a private party so I do not have a dealer.  I took my water to Leslie's Pool and Spa and was shocked that they just used the test strips I have at home to test.   ???  Yeah, that was a waste of a trip to town.

At my store we use DPD and Titrate testing and input the results into a computerized water analysis program that prints results and recommendations.

I use Palintest DPD #1 & 4 tablets to test for free and availible sanitizer.

I use Taylor thiosulpahate and phenol red for the pH.

For the titrate testing we use a combo of Taylor and Mursatt reagents.

It is rare that we need to test for metals, but we are prepared.

Once we get the results we plug them into the computer which will calculate the needed additions and provide the customer with a "perscription"

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 01:31:31 pm »
you also might conisder turning your illumination LEDs from green to blue.  
;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 01:31:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42