What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance ozone failure  (Read 4445 times)

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
Sundance ozone failure
« on: December 24, 2005, 12:55:32 pm »
Ok...I'm starting to get frustrated with this issue.  My dealer has installed a total of 3 cd ozone generators on my '05 Maxxus.  I just got back from holidays, and the icon is gone again  >:(.  Are there any Sundance dealers out there (or anyone else with some info) that have some idea whether this is a widespread problem or not?  I know the discussion has come up in the past regarding whether or not the unit is functioning, and that the icon is the only way you can tell (along with the smell, as I now know from having a unit that actually worked for a month or so!)  Please let me know if you have any input.

Thanks, and again, Merry Christmas!

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance ozone failure
« on: December 24, 2005, 12:55:32 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Sundance ozone failure
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 02:16:51 pm »
Is it that the unit fails or is it something that causes the unit to fail or is it the control board that stops working? Sorry, I haven't looked at your other threads (if any) on this subject.

I have read here that if someone blocks the circ pump output in the tub it's possible to breach the check valve and get water into the unit.

I work on medical equipment and I would think that if nothing is taking out the circuit on the control board - it should always be giving out the signal for ozone.

If the ozonator is unplugged - does the signal come on. I would imagine that the electronics on the control board aren't that sophisticated as to sense the presence of an ozonator. I would think that it's only acting as a switch.

If the ozonator goes bad (shorts out for instance) then the current should burn out the switch and fry the control board if it's not protected. If the ozonator stops working then the switch should stay on without producing ozone and the icon should be there too.

This is a long range diagnosis and from a not a spa tech but I would investigate the control board - you've gone through 3 ozonators and it's very unlikely that all three were bad.

Just my $0.02!

Vinny

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 04:41:07 pm »
I appreciate your reply...here's a little more info:  The 1st failure was on a different tub; the 2nd and 3rd were both on this tub (a warranty replacement tub installed about a month ago).  The icon periodically "flashes" for a split second - maybe once every few minutes or so, same as the last one.  The ozone is definitely not present - it is very obvious when it is working by the odor when the cover is opened.  I think the replacement of the spa eliminates the control board as the problem. I contacted the dealer, and they'll be out next week with another replacement.  I live in an area with good reliable "clean" power, so power spikes are not an issue.  I think that it is unlikely that I'm the only one with this problem; I also realize that this is a bad day to ask for info! Thanks for the reply :)

Cheers,

Steve

big_daddy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 11:52:48 am »
they had a bad batch of ozone systems. i have a new sundance spa, on my 3rd ozone unit works ok now. i called sundance direct, they had bad batch. tell your dealer to call sundance for ser. number update on units.

J._McD

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 04:28:25 pm »
ssbraun, how about 5 in a row, same customer.  He was less than nice but it lead us to the answer.

Check the back side of the blue "necessaties" ozone box for a label and let me know what the first four numbers are, ie, 0506, 0507 etc.

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 03:36:02 pm »
Service tech just left; he hasn't seen any other failures in any SD tubs, but then again, not everyone knows about the icon (I didn't for the first month or two until I read about it here).  The old one started with 0507; the one he put in started with 0509.  Am I into the good run yet? ;D

Thanks, J._McD

Steve

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 05:08:19 pm »
The old one started with 0507; the one he put in started with 0509.  

I'd imagine there's a 2 month difference there (your tub must be a newer one). Time will tell.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 05:08:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42