What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Taking advantage of the thaw!  (Read 5529 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Taking advantage of the thaw!
« on: December 23, 2005, 05:42:46 pm »
I think today is the first day in central Ohio that the temp is above freezing this month. I looked at the tub and everything looks ok. The water level is maybe 1/4" below the normal spot. I last changed the water Oct 1, so it is doing well.  With the warm weather I decided to get out my 5 gallon bucket and I dumped out 50 gallons of water. I then got out my 8 foot hose (tub is 5 feet from the one faucet). I put back in the water I took out, and maybe a little more above the fill line since I don't know when I can get water to it again.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 05:43:41 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Taking advantage of the thaw!
« on: December 23, 2005, 05:42:46 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Taking advantage of the thaw!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 05:49:28 pm »
Last weekend it hit about 38 F here in Jersey. This weekend it's supposed to hit 50 F. Christmas day in the 50's, go figure.

I was soooo worried about changing water in the winter, with temps like this I can still do my water changes every 1 1/2 months! Maybe in Jan if all is well ...

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 05:50:52 pm »
Gonna be 70* here Christmas Day.

39 Green Christmas' in a row......  :'(

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 06:01:17 pm »
The southern states and California shouldn't celebrate Christmas... we all know it has to be cold and snowy.

Heck, maybe the whole Southern Hemisphere shouldn't either.

Maybe if you all walk around with parkas and sorels on, it'll feel like the season.

Of course on the other side of the world, there's this poster on a website ...

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 06:31:12 pm »
Vin,

When it gets to 55 in Vero Beach they put on long pants, long sleeve shirts, jackets, gloves and hats and talk about how cold it is.

Meanwhile I'm in shorts, tank top and sandals thinking about going to the pool.

It just doesn't look right when they put Christmas lights on a palm tree.

The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 07:10:30 pm »
I have friends who moved to Florida about 15 years ago. They laughed at the people down there who would dress "for the cold" when it hit 70 F. The Floridians would wear as you described ... now 15 years later they dress the same way.

I just had a conversation with my co-workers about "dressing appropriately". They all think I'm nuts going outside in flip flops, robe and bathing suit when it's 20 F outside. I tried to explain to them that as long as you keep your head and torso covered, it's not too bad at this temp. It's cold , yes, but getting in a 102 tub is great.

Funny story, I bought my wife a chimenea to dress up our deck, My 10 YO son was outside fiddling with it to try to get it to light (under my supervision). He was out there in 30's temps in just a bathing suit for about 6-7 minutes and he never noticed the temp. Usually, he'll  complain about how cold it is getting into the tub and again when he leaves the tub.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 07:42:57 pm by Vinny »

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 07:11:02 pm »
81 in Tucson today.  Took the kids golfing.  Used to live in the snow in the northeast, don't miss it at all.

loneoak

• Perception is more important than reality
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 07:55:00 pm »
When we first started talking about getting a hot tub, people were telling us it has to be outside, and sitting in it during the cold weather is the thing to do, etc.  We had our doubts, and before getting the tub, we talked about adding a sun room for it, screening in the deck, etc.

We couldn't decide what to do, so we figured the best thing would be to put the thing in the back yard for a year, and then decide where it should go.  After all, it can be moved.

Then something wierd happened, and 3 months ago you couldn't have convinced me of this:  the worse the weather, the better we like it.  Snow, rain, bitter cold, it doesn't matter.  I was out in -23º C, and I loved it.

(by the way, in order to make a º , you hold down the alt key while typing 679.)

I am actually worried it might be to hot in the summer to enjoy it!

One question:  are mosquitos an issue?  If so, how do you deal with them?

Astrid.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 08:03:18 pm »
I started using my tub in June. Mosquitos come out at dusk.  This year we weren't really bothered by them. I originally wanted the tub enclosed because of them but it wasn't bad.

I've been told that the hot water keeps them at bay. Everyone who I talked to about it said - don't worry - they were right!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 08:19:43 pm »
My husband has had many opportunities to relocate to warm areas, S. Carolina, Fla, Arizona and I have always resisted.  There is nothing like the change of seasons. And no one can tell me sitting in a hot tub when it is 99 degrees out remotely compares to enjoying one when the air temp is in the 20's (ask our Canadian friends).
I can't imagine growing up or raising my kids and never having a SNOW DAY off from school. (Although I am probably in a minority of parents that love to hear those cancelations on the radio!)  My husband doesn't share my love of the winter so last year the kids and I decorated a huge Weeping Cherry tree  with lights making it look like a palm tree. The giant snowflakes even looked like coconuts!  He had to admit that he loves our hot tub so much that he doesn't  mind the cold or the winter any more! The short days are another story. Glad that they are now getting longer!
Really, it doesn't take cold or snow or anything weather related to have a wonderful Christmas. We just need family, friends and to remember why this is the most important holiday.  Have a very Merry and Blessed Christmas everyone! ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 09:03:43 pm »
My wife is very resistant to going outside in the winter to sit in water :o, so we built the addition for the tub.  But I put in some big windows and a sliding glass door.  ;)

After telling her how much you all rave about cold weather soaking she has agreed to give it a try.  :-/

Tonight we are both working the afternoon shift but I get home at 9:30, about an hour and a half ahead of her.  I am going to open up the windows and chill it down  ::).  Temp will be in the high 30's so  this could be the perfect time to win her over.

Wish me luck!  ;D
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 11:25:55 pm »
(by the way, in order to make a º , you hold down the alt key while typing 679.)

I am actually worried it might be to hot in the summer to enjoy it!

One question:  are mosquitos an issue?  If so, how do you deal with them?

Astrid.

Brilliant!  I learned something new!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 11:28:04 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

blizzard

• Always gettin in to HOT water
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 11:47:54 pm »
I don't know about anybody else, but I can't get the alt 679 to work.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005, 12:18:11 am »

...and all this time I've been using Alt0176 or Alt0186 for the "º" symbol. I guess I can save a keystroke now.

Here are some other often used ALTs:
½
¼
±
®

but you'll have to go here

http://www.pcdon.com/page3.html

or here

http://firehotquotes.bolt.com/altcodes/fhqalt.html

to learn how to create them and others. They come in handy. Simply hold down the Alt key and while holding it down type the numbers.

220, 221, whatever it takes!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 12:19:44 pm »
But don't you have to use the key pad?  I use a lap top, not an easy option for me!!!!   :P
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 12:19:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42