What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Psuedonomas...Arrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 8673 times)

taylornmartin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Psuedonomas...Arrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: November 10, 2005, 10:10:50 am »
Hi, I've had my Hot Spring Vista for almost a year now, but since March I've been getting a skin rash to varying degrees after every use.  I saw a dermotologist, but all he did was prescribe a cream and recommend that I use a lot of moisturizer.  I have drained it and cleaned it and refilled it three times now (I think I may have recontaminated it by using the same hose when I refilled).  It has been sitting empty since Saturday, but I want to be sure I've done everything possible to rectify the situation before I refill it.  My research leads me to believe I have folliculitis (tiny red bumps that feel like poison ivy).  Here's what I've done so far:  I drained the tub.  I cleaned it with a mixture of water and chlorine (even inside the motomassage compartment).  I removed and cleaned the filters.  What else can I do?  Please Help!

Martin  :'(

Hot Tub Forum

Psuedonomas...Arrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: November 10, 2005, 10:10:50 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Psuedonomas...Arrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 10:22:29 am »
It sounds like you have taken most of the necessary steps to resolve your problem.  I would also suggest running the spa while simultaneously turning all of the Smart Jet and Comfort Control levers to make sure the sanitized water is being flushed throughout the entire system as an added precaution.  Keep us updated and good luck!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 10:26:21 am »

Cleaning and draining the tub with a product like Swirl Away can help in cleaning out those pipes and any cooties that could be living in there. I used it on a pre-owned tub I had and had to really flush out and rinse the tub after using this product.

However, you said you washed and drained it 3x. this might be ok.

Shock and sanitize the tub after filling it. I am told bacterai can live in the hose that you filled it with.

Remove and clean any pillows. Clean the filter compartment area, get rid of any "toys" that maybe in the tub (duckies that have squeaker holes in them, squirt guns, etc.)

Hydrocortozone  cream after using the tub can help too if you have over sensistive skin.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 10:27:16 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 10:32:10 am »
Add 3oz Lysol concentrate and 2 cups of bleach for every 500 gallons.
Run spa for 24 hours turning jets in all directions.
Dump and immediately refill.
This works.

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 11:25:15 am »
Guzz is right on point! That is a proven method and DOES work!  Good luck!

rick

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 02:18:01 pm »
Before you go assuming you have a bacteria,  check your ph.   A low ph is a nasty kind of water that will give you a nasty kind of rash.  I learned this first hand.

taylornmartin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 02:24:35 pm »
Other than a 10 day vacation just before all this rash stuff started, I've been very attentive to chlorine and ph levels.  My brother was taking care of the tub while I was away, and I fear that the sanitizer level was low and the problem started then.  I don't know how to be sure about the bacteria, is there a way to test for it?

taylornmartin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 02:26:21 pm »
Another question, My reading led me to believe that the red bumps (like poison ivy) was probably folliculitis.  Does this sound right?

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 02:30:33 pm »
As far as testing for the bacteria that causes folliculitis,  I am unaware of such test.  If you have little red bumps, most likely it is folliculitis. I would treat your tub in the manner that Guzz stated in an earlier post.  That should take care of the problem.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 02:31:16 pm »
Can't you have your water tested to determine if you have Psuedonamas?  Are you the only person in the family who has this problem?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

stan1

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 02:39:12 pm »
Try buying a portable water softener filter comb that is sold in marine stores filling the tub, shock and use ezspa. good luck Stanley

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 04:05:18 pm »
Ok my question is..my husband has now come up with a rash...his is the same...as you all have discribed but...my question is..how come I haven't gotten it yet..we both are in the same water..all levels are perfect and the water is only 2 weeks old. He started getting this rash just a day or two into the new water change but, I cleaned the hot tub really well before we put in the new water.

Guzz

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 05:30:48 pm »
Some people are more sensitive to it. Your husband may have it, yet you may never be affected. It's a bacteria that gets into your hair folicals so unless you have a hairy chest you should be o.k( I'm presuming you don't)

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 05:43:52 pm »
Some people are more sensitive to it. Your husband may have it, yet you may never be affected. It's a bacteria that gets into your hair folicals so unless you have a hairy chest you should be o.k( I'm presuming you don't)

Guzz hun if I have a hary chest I'm in deeeeeep do do cause I am going to run away and join the circus....headlines "HAIRY WOMAN RUNS AWAY....HUSBAND DEVISTATED!"

Guzz

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 05:53:29 pm »
I'm sure you are a fine looking specimine but being an ex sailor I can assure you there are some really hairy girls out there!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 05:53:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42