What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Making Progress 12/16/05  (Read 4848 times)

Snowbird

• What did he say?
Making Progress 12/16/05
« on: December 16, 2005, 12:41:22 pm »
Green board done and ready for spackle.  Tub finally hooked up and getting warmer.

1st soak after work at 10PM tonight.  ;D

Chemical stress not an issue.   ::)

Nature2 mineral stick, a weekly shock and ph test.  Indoor adult set up requires less work than outdoor for kids.  

We shall see.  :-/

The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Hot Tub Forum

Making Progress 12/16/05
« on: December 16, 2005, 12:41:22 pm »

socal

• so it begins
Re: Making Progress 12/16/05
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 12:43:09 pm »
snowbird,
the room is coming along nicely. enjoy your first soak.
Marquis dealer

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 12:54:01 pm »
Snowbird,

Looks great so far!  Are you going to use a cover lifter or just slide it off?  What type of finish are you going to use on your walls?  Tile? Paint?  Should look great when you get through!

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

blizzard

• Always gettin in to HOT water
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 02:07:44 pm »
I would suggest a big piece of plastic to completely cover tub when sanding drywall to aviod getting dust in tub. Lookin really nice though. ENJOY!!!!

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 02:31:23 pm »
"The Plan" is to use chair rail and a 3 color system.  The ceiling will be white, above the chair rail will be a light gray and below will be the same gray as the tub. All trim and chair rail will be black.  That should be pretty unusual.

SWMBO will do curtains and whatever for color accents (that is way beyond my skill level) and I will install two white 4 foot mini-blinds in each window.

Stereo speakers in the corners, a TV and a stereo in one corner and it will be a Steeler Sunday in the tub.

I will order a Covermate I and a Cover Saver from Doc tonight.  Also some chemicals and maybe a toy or two.  The info on his site has been a great help to me.

We put cardboard then 4x8 OSB sheets over the cover to protect it, but the plastic is a good idea.  Spa Showcase's mechanic was out this AM and showed me the gaps under the side panels where air is drawn in.  When sanding I will need to cover these gaps until the dust settles.

This side of the house should have the siding and eaves done today so the scaffold and ladders should be moved to the other side tonight.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 02:39:28 pm »
I have used a drywall professional who doesn't need to sand. It was a joy to watch him work: he just puts the stuff on so smoothly that he did NO sanding. He used his trowel to smooth any standing bits or rough spots. Any hollows he simply covered over with the next coat and it was perfect.

He said that sanding roughs up the paper in any place where the coating material is too thin - leading to problems when you start painting.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 03:02:15 pm »
I hear you, but the choice was a drywall professional or a hot tub.

I chose the hot tub so it looks like I will be doing some spackling.  I've done it before on small jobs but never a whole room.  I might try using a wet sponge instead of sanding.

At least the tub is nearby when I get frustrated.

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 03:36:12 pm »
Lookin good Snowbird.  Enjoy your first soak!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 03:40:59 pm »
It's commng along nicely.

Keep posting as you make progress!

I envsion a nice steroe, a DPL projector, and a wet bar.

:D
07 Caldera Geneva

tootsie

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 01:16:16 am »
snowbird,

Your room looks really inviting.  I love the view.

lowes or home depot offers a dust free sanding kit for dry wall that basically consists of a 5 gallon bucket that you fill with water and a sander for a shop vac.  I don't think they are very expensive, but if you have the shop vac it's worth the investment,  you get may get a little dust so you'll still want to protect the tub.  We got one a couple of years ago and we use it no matter if the job is big or small because of the time saved sweeping and dusting several times.

blizzard

• Always gettin in to HOT water
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 08:48:14 am »
Since the tub is indoors. What kind of ventilation system have you installed?

bob5820

• Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 09:46:18 am »
Looks great. Good that you have the tub up and running, it will be  nice reward after all that sanding.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2005, 12:22:08 pm »
I'm growing scales over my water wrinkles. :o  It sooo nice it is hard to get out.  Hooked up the TV temporarily for the games.  Will be watching the Stillers today from the tub.  ;)

Ventilation is a Continental exhaust fan controlled by a humidistat through 25' of insulated ducting.  Capable of circulating the air 8 times an hour.  But it is not hooked up yet because the siding isn't done on the back of the house.  For now we are leaving 2 sliding glass doors open into the Dining Room and the Family Room.  So far, so good.

Sun is out today (a rare thing in Pittsburgh!) so it is prettry hot inside.  I may open the windows - it is 29 outside.

I have one of those sanding dust thingys from a previous project in Vero Beach. It works okay and I will definitely use it.  The house is so dusty and dirty now that it won't make a lot of difference anyway.  ::)

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2005, 07:44:00 pm »
Lookin good ...keep the pics coming!

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 03:19:42 pm »
Nice job snowbird..... is that a 375 or 385?  I have 355 and really enjoy it.  same colour scheme as yours.  

Mark

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 03:19:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42