What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Extremely high electric utilization  (Read 11308 times)

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
Re: Extremely high electric utilization
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2005, 03:08:53 pm »
Vinny,
You caught the new photos on the Artesian Website before I did. The photos are updated but not the specs. The Island Line is now available with 32, 42, 52 or 62 Jets. I agree with you, I am a little skeptical about how the footjets will be in 2006 for the Garand Bahama and the Grand Cayman. They removed the foot dome on those two models and the jets are now on the footwell wall, but they are larger full size jets. For the Antiqua and Captiva, the foot jets greatly improved. I will let you know how the footjets are, as soon as they arrive and I fire the Cayman up. The shells have been retooled with real sleek lines, it is toough to see it on the web site. Artesian did switch to a larger Circ Pump in the spring of 2005, but I thought you had the older style circ pump, the grey Grundfos Pump, which consumes very little enery. 101 degrees set continuously, could add to the cost abit. Do you still use the tub daily and if so always at night or sometimes during the day. Maybe you could run less heat cycles or drop the temperature back a few degrees, when exiting the spa. Dave.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2005, 03:08:53 pm »

NJDave

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2005, 03:13:43 pm »
Sorry Steve,
This post was entirely about a different company than yours. Hydro Pool, really make a nice high quality spa. Are you displaying spas at the Atlantic City Pool and Spa Show, in January? If so, see you there. Dave.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2005, 03:20:59 pm »
Last month was my first real indication on the cost to run the Hot Tub.  We did not use heat or air conditioning.  My Beachcomber has a 24 circulation pump and I use the tub about 5 times a week, for about 20 to 30 minutes each soak. My bill went up 230 kwh for the month.  You are using about 600 kwh a month more which seems way to high.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 03:22:43 pm by marks »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2005, 04:33:18 pm »
Sorry Steve,
This post was entirely about a different company than yours. Hydro Pool, really make a nice high quality spa. Are you displaying spas at the Atlantic City Pool and Spa Show, in January? If so, see you there. Dave.

Thanks for the compliment Dave. We are represented at the Atlantic City show but I personally, won't be attending. I will however be in the tropical climate of Niagara Falls in mid January for our annual conference. :-/

Take care,
Steve

NJDave

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2005, 04:55:26 pm »
Steve,
Sorry, you won't be at the AC Show. It is always a good show. Have a great Dealer Conference. The conference would be better for you, to spend more quality time with your dealers, instead of a few minutes on the show floor. Hope 2006 is a great year for you. Dave.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2005, 05:02:36 pm »
And you my friend!

doriley

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2005, 05:09:36 pm »
Mendocino101 & NJ Dave

Its a Hydro Spa manufacured in Florida and marketed in my area by a dealer out of a large warehouse.  I thought I did my homework before I bought the Spa.  It seemed to be highly rated by the site I found.  (Can't remember the site name).  They never mentioned the lack of insulation.  

I'm a bit dissapointed.  I hope I can at least alleviate the problem to the point that the spa is affordable.   If the October November bill is an indication of what the December/January/February bills would be I'm glad I turned it off.

Also I will have to blow the air lines out.  I think I'll have to do it with the vacuum since the spa is empty and the pumps will go on as soon as I power it up.

Dave

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2005, 05:26:33 pm »
Vinny,
You caught the new photos on the Artesian Website before I did. The photos are updated but not the specs. The Island Line is now available with 32, 42, 52 or 62 Jets. I agree with you, I am a little skeptical about how the footjets will be in 2006 for the Garand Bahama and the Grand Cayman. They removed the foot dome on those two models and the jets are now on the footwell wall, but they are larger full size jets. For the Antiqua and Captiva, the foot jets greatly improved. I will let you know how the footjets are, as soon as they arrive and I fire the Cayman up. The shells have been retooled with real sleek lines, it is toough to see it on the web site. Artesian did switch to a larger Circ Pump in the spring of 2005, but I thought you had the older style circ pump, the grey Grundfos Pump, which consumes very little enery. 101 degrees set continuously, could add to the cost abit. Do you still use the tub daily and if so always at night or sometimes during the day. Maybe you could run less heat cycles or drop the temperature back a few degrees, when exiting the spa. Dave.

I have the huge circ pump - 48 frame/240V job. I don't know how much power it consumes, I was assuming it was still at 0.6 A but it certainly not the pump on their website.

I actually had it to 102 F (was too hot) but brought it down to 101 but as you know the less expensive electronics in the Island series doesn't allow for any saver modes. I don't use it every night and never during the day but want it at temp and ready for use.  As far as the heating cycles I quoted, they are just mathimatical guesstimates. That's the one thing I don't care about in the Island series - some of the other tubs I looked at had economy cycles and I would like that in these electronic - well I can't have everything!!!

Of course when people look at the dollar a day, they aren't looking at the cost of delivery which can add a lot to the cost - in my case about double. Not looking at delivery, I pay about $0.08 KWH and 600 KWH = $48 - truely not bad at all.

Hey, I'm not complaining [glb]SPATOPIA[/glb] comes at a price!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2005, 05:36:05 pm »
doriley,

Since your spa is thermopane, why don't you go to HD and look at that panel insulation, they have some with foil outsides. Cut the sheet to fit the access holes exactly and stuff the corners and the upper areas with fiberglass insulation. They now sell encapsulated fiberglass insulation for using inside a wall stud.

See if you can get any on the spa floor - the more insulation you can put in, the better the the energy efficiency. I would even Duct tape the openings where you put the sheet insulation to create a draft free enviroment

When I was shopping for a tub, I was looking at Emerald which is a TP tub. I was going to get their best insulation package to make sure it didn't cost me too much in the winter.

Good Luck!

NJDave

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2005, 05:46:55 pm »
doriley
I'm glad to hear you did blow out your water plumbing lines, but get that air blower line blown out asap.You can power up the spa for 30 seconds and turn on the blower. If you are conscerned about the the pump running for 30 seconds without water, you can unplug the red plug on your balboa control head, which is your pump plug first, then turn on your breaker and turn on the air blower and watch the water spray into the air, blowing out that air line. If you would rather not, turn on the breaker, then remove the set screw holding the PVC line to your air blower and blow air into the air blower line that way. That other website that rates them four stars, has a paid for rating system that costs $25,000. Dave, what matters is you are enjoying your tub and it is fine for you. You have good reliable electronic controls by Balboa Instruments. You can work on the insulation situation to lower operating costs and start enjoying that tub again. keep in touch and let us know how things go. Goodluck. Dave.

NJDave

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2005, 06:00:13 pm »
Vinny,
Great suggestion! They sell those insulated panels in diiferent thicknesses from 1/2"-2" thick. Some are just foam and others have a foil like the Celotex Brand.  Duct taping the seams and corners will help to seal that loose fitting cabinet. The floor will help also. Vinny, you are not doing bad for winter costs, with keeping that tub at 101 degrees all the time. And hey, you are in Spatopia. Your 48" frame circ pump does have a amp rating higher than .60, which is the old rating for the Grundfos Pump. But, the filtration system does not cost you that much. Most of the cost comes when that heater turns on, drawing 22-24 amps and when the high pumps run. It's a great night for the tub. Enjoy the Hot H20. Dave.

doriley

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2005, 07:29:49 pm »
NJDave,

OK just blew out the air lines, got a nice spray.  Pump was on less than 30 seconds.  Sopped up extra water.

That 4 star rating I guess is like consumer reports, more you pay, better the rating.

Thanks.

Dave

NJDave

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2005, 10:40:57 pm »
doriley,
I have been told by more than one manufacturer that the other site with the ratings charges $25,000 for the 4 Star Rating, which they call a fee for advertising. It is a shame for the folks that trust the site and use the rating to assist in their buying decision. About 6 manufacturers just don't belong on their 4 Star List, some should be on the 2 Star List. Oh well. I'm glad you were able to turn on the air blower and push that water out of the air injectors. Looks like you are all set now. Hope you will be back in soon. Enjoy. Dave.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2005, 10:55:55 pm »
Gawd I'd love to see a pricelist from P&S on gaining a best of class rating...

NJDave

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2005, 11:21:36 pm »
You guessed it Steve. It is quite a lot. We had a local dealer from Camden New Jersey, that was calling himself a manufacturer, selling his private Label Spa, he had a 4 Star Best of Class Rating on that site. He paid the fee and got the best rating money could buy. In the end that 4 Star Rated Company, had internet consumers all across America looking for them, as they took deposits and failed to deliver 94 Hot tubs. I'm sure you know who I am talking about, you could not forget his outrageous posts. I tried to warn people that they were not a manufacturer at all, but just a new dealer that popped up. But, with a Four Star Best of Class, many folks took stock in that and went with these guys. It was a real shame. I just repaired 2 of their spas this week, for customers that thought they were getting a 10 year equipment warranty. Money talks. Stick with major known manufacturers, shop local dealers, wet test and get what you deserve, service.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2005, 11:21:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42