What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New spa...does this sound like ice in the lines?  (Read 2900 times)

richny

New spa...does this sound like ice in the lines?
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:51:24 am »
I am having a problem with one of my pumps on my brand new spa.   My primary pump that runs the heater works great (thank goodness). The second pump starts for a few seconds and then shuts down. Called the factory yesterday and told me to let the tub heat up overnight and then start in the morning....but I tried at 5am ( temp said 100 F) but still the same thing.  They said that they test the units prior to leaving the factory and I may have ice in the lines from the water left it there.

If that is the case....why does it start, push some water out and then shut down...it stays on about 5-7 seconds then shuts down. It will not restart for about 5 minutes.

I am not sure what to do today except call them back. They said they open at 1pm today.  

Anyone have any ideas what to do? I am not even sure if its ice or not...but should it have defrosted overnight?  Should I take a hair dryer to the hoses? I can't really see any obvious ice.  Sounds like I'll be going to have to get a service tech out here.

And to think....I was all set not to get the tub started until the spring....but everyone tells me that winter is the best time....yeesh...man am I having fun :(

Hot Tub Forum

New spa...does this sound like ice in the lines?
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:51:24 am »

drprwnap

Re: New spa...does this sound like ice in the line
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 09:57:16 am »
Sounds to me like you have a pump problem. :(   I would call the dealer and INSIST someone come out and look at it.
That is what I would do. Then again, I'm not a dealer or service tech so that's just  my opinion. BTW, what brand are we talking about?  Good luck!

drpwnap  8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

richny

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:19:09 am »
It is definetly not an ice problem...I just got under there and the hoses are all nice and warm. I started the pump that is causing me problems and it starts (I see the shaft turning)....but it then shuts down. Guess its the pump itself. The brand is no-name from a company called Sun Enterprises. Its a decent set of pumps from Aqua flo....so it may just be my dumb luck to get a bum pump. Will be calling today to see when the service guy can come out.

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 11:09:31 am »
If you have a diverter valve for that pump, make sure that it is not set exactly in the middle.  Set it to one side and turn on.  I have seen diverters put back pressure on the motor and cause this problem.  Just a thought.

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 11:36:35 am »
The motor for the pump has a thermal overload built in.  If it senses ablormally high current, it will trip.  For it to trip in 5 seconds would indicate a locked rotor.  Likely something got sucked into the pump.  Let us know

J._McD

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 11:53:32 am »
Richny, Try taking your filter out, it seems like your pump starts to move water then abruptly water supply is cut off which could be the suction side pulling something in restricting the intake.

It is something related to the pump intake, I don't think it is ice, if it was you would get nothing out of the jets momentarily unless you are sucking in a chunck of ice at the intake.

127 "micro jets", how do they count so many, are these little air injector holes?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 11:54:07 am by J._McD »

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 12:16:37 pm »
 I have seen diverters put back pressure on the motor and cause this problem.  

A common misconception is that centrifugal pumps draw more current when running against a "dead head" like a closed discharge valve.  In fact, the current draw is at its lowest at zero flow with these pumps, and at its maximum at full flow.  

richny

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 02:12:14 pm »
ok, here's the scoop.
Sun opened up at 1pm today and they walked me through a few troubleshooting areas. Really great tech support...they dumbed it down for me so even I could understand what they were saying ;)

They had me check the jumpers then switch the pumps on the main board to see if it was the electronics or the pump...turns out the pump that is bad. New pump on the way....hoepfully this will be the only issue.

Other than that the spa is great....heats up fast, good jet placement, kids love it.

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 02:44:08 pm »
Glad you had a good service experience!  That sure helps give a person confidence in the product they bought...Enjoy your new spa! :)

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 02:44:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42