What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: You say Pergola, I say Patio Cover  (Read 3910 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
You say Pergola, I say Patio Cover
« on: November 25, 2005, 05:06:26 pm »
I've never heard the work Pergola until I visited this site.  In my area we call them Patio Covers.  Anyway, here is the manufacturer that sells Alumawood structures.  They are fairly popular in Southern California.  I still prefer the look of wood but the aluminum version will last forever.  They may not be as popular in snow areas.  I believe they can only handle a load of 10lbs./sq. foot but can be built stronger.

I'm thinking about getting one but can't decide if I would rather have wood?

Oh Brook, they have DIY Kits for you.  8)

http://www.alumawood.com/default.aspx
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 06:11:04 pm by wmccall »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

You say Pergola, I say Patio Cover
« on: November 25, 2005, 05:06:26 pm »

pruned_hands

• Hot Springs Grandee Lover
Re: You say Pergola, I say Patio Cover
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 08:53:02 pm »
"Pergola" is one of those snobby words...it is the correct word, but most folks would think of patio cover first.  The sad thing is that the structure has been called pergola for thousands of years (the Romans and greeks invented the things), but none of us know the name.

I just built a wood pergola but debated over a PVC version which would be maintenance free.  I went with wood as it matches the decking better and the vinyl looked a bit fake.  The wood version was also half the cost (even less) and allowed for more custom installation than the vinyl would offer.  This was important to me as we had specific dimensions we were sticking with.  The pre made versions might not allow you to build as high or as long as you might like, and depending upon where you put it, that might be an issue.  But, the maintenance free factor is a powerful one...

let us know how you decide...

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 09:58:59 pm »
"Pergola" is one of those snobby words...

I really never thought of it as "snobby"...just a new word I discovered in my search for a hot tub shelter.  A workmate called it a "gazebo with a leaky roof" ;D

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 03:51:23 pm »
Kind of like my boss at work saying he's going to step out on the lenai....when all it actually is, is an 8 x 8 ft. cement patio.  I still laugh when I hear him say it.

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 04:33:21 pm »

I really never thought of it as "snobby"...just a new word I discovered in my search for a hot tub shelter.  A workmate called it a "gazebo with a leaky roof" ;D

Its also one of the words you can say multiple ways like tomatoe & potatoe. You say pergella I say pergola....
Homeworks Financing Representative

luigi311

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 03:26:22 pm »
We just built one.  We had a hard time finding the "alumawood".  Funny you have a link listed, just after we finished up a treated pine one.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 04:56:33 pm »
I don't know where in the world you people get these terms from but here in the states of North and South Carolina those things are called "Carports" and they are usually directly associated with trailer parks.   LOL.  No really, they Do "look" like a carport don't they?  In regards to the Lanai term.... Do to it's Hawaiin origins I always thought that you needed to have a view of water in order for that term to be correct. Oh well, live and learn... Happy Chaka-chan to everyone!
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 04:56:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42