What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Which is more energy effecient?  (Read 2202 times)

Bosmani

• lifes to short to drink cheap wine
Which is more energy effecient?
« on: November 28, 2005, 07:26:38 pm »
Seen this asked on another forum. Keep tub at desired heat 24/7 or drop 7-8 degrees untill you wish to use it? Personally I keep mine up there but there were some interesting views on this. anyone any thing to add?

Hot Tub Forum

Which is more energy effecient?
« on: November 28, 2005, 07:26:38 pm »

sms392

• Grandee Owner
Re: Which is more energy effecient?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 08:54:33 pm »
The answer is setting the temperature down is more energy effiecient and hence cheaper then keeping the tub a constant temperature.  This is actually a first year physics problem routinely given to explain "work".  It's a fact,  there really isn't any question about it.  This is the reason home thermostats are now programable, you save lots of money over time by turning down the heat while your not there, in bed, etc.  Of course having to go out to the tub an hour ahead of jumping in doesn't seem worth while to me.  We're at a constant 102!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 01:33:32 am »
Same here.  We keep the temperature constant, I don't want to wait the time to heat the spa up to temp.  
But doing so would save money.  
Brewman

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 05:47:03 am »
Seen this asked on another forum. Keep tub at desired heat 24/7 or drop 7-8 degrees untill you wish to use it? Personally I keep mine up there but there were some interesting views on this. anyone any thing to add?

If I told you it would save you 20-30 cents a month would it be worth it? That's 2 bucks a year, 20 bucks in 10 years....well you get the idea. Hardly seems worth it.
I will shut my truck off instead of letting it idle one time in a month and save more.
Retired

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 09:12:58 am »
The answer is setting the temperature down is more energy effiecient and hence cheaper then keeping the tub a constant temperature.  This is actually a first year physics problem routinely given to explain "work".  It's a fact,  there really isn't any question about it.  This is the reason home thermostats are now programable, you save lots of money over time by turning down the heat while your not there, in bed, etc.  Of course having to go out to the tub an hour ahead of jumping in doesn't seem worth while to me.  We're at a constant 102!

Not necessarly. The variables include: how much you are dropping and raisng the temperture.? A well insulated spa will see less of a drop in temp and thus requiring less energ/work  to return it to it's desired temp  ie: how quickly are you loosing heat?

Also consider the The volume of water your are heating and  how often you are bringing it back up to temp.  

The efficently of the heater is also a  significant factor.

I feel the home programable thermostat analogy is abit deciving as home thermostats are part of a larger zoned system that is heating the air (air heats quicker and cheaper than water)in a larger space,  with multiple rooms that may or not be used. Plus, a sweater is ok if the room has a bit of a chill. I wouldn't recomend cashmire in the hot tub.

I had an older ineffeinct tub and tried to save a few bucks by bringing down the temp a few degrees and it resulted in the heater and pumps doing more work than simply  maintining  a constant temp.   Your most expesive times to run a heater and pump is upon start up.   Energy consumption spikes on start up. With some pumps, getting the pump spining takes more energy than running it for several hours.  

Unless you are going to be away for a significant time, dropping the temp and raising it, wont save you any money and will probably cost you a few cents.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 09:38:03 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 09:12:58 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42