What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Systems  (Read 5003 times)

mheuple

Cover Systems
« on: November 21, 2005, 11:22:56 am »
Any one have thoughts on the different cover lifters.  We are getting a Vanguard (HotSprings).   They want to sell me the Cover Mate 1.   My wife is 5'2" and 110lbs.  Can she open and close it with ease?  Also which one is the lease likely to break?

Hot Tub Forum

Cover Systems
« on: November 21, 2005, 11:22:56 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Cover Systems
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 11:31:49 am »
What other cover lifter options are they giving you?

The CM I is a decent lifter but for larger sized spa I'd probably upgrade.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 11:35:38 am »
Any one have thoughts on the different cover lifters.  We are getting a Vanguard (HotSprings).   They want to sell me the Cover Mate 1.   My wife is 5'2" and 110lbs.  Can she open and close it with ease?  Also which one is the lease likely to break?

I would go with the HotSpring Cover Cradle.  It is so easy to open for smaller people.  I can open and close the spa with one finger using the Cover Cradle.  I have to use a little more "oommph" using the Cover Mate.

The Cover Cradle basically glides the cover back.  The Vanguard cover is large and heavy.  Cover Mate works fine on smaller spas.  Cover Cradle costs a little more but will be worth it to your wife. :)

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 11:37:10 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

mheuple

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 12:13:57 pm »
There are a couple of types of the Cover cradle.  any major difference?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 12:30:37 pm »

Well, there's the CoverCradle and the Uprite.  I would go with the CC.  You need 25" of clearance for it.  The Uprite is great if you are putting it up against a wall as it only takes up 8".  If you have the room, CoverCradle all the way.  It's the best one on the market, in my opinion. :)

Terminator

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 12:54:02 pm »
Please include pictures of your wife, dressed how she would be while in the spa,  so we can properly determine what the appropriate cover lifter is right for her.

Thank you.  ;D

I have the cover mate 1 on my tiger river, which is smaller than the vanguard, and have to say, the cover can be heavy.
Can you take her into the store, where she maybe able to try out the different lifters?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 12:56:20 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 12:57:33 pm »

There is the cover cradle  and cover cradle 2, cc has two gas shocks, cc 2 has 1 gas shock, you could use the cc2, which is the streamlined version, that allows a smooth operation of gliding the cover off the back of the spa, both require 24" of clearance. The cc2 is a little less cost.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 01:19:39 pm »
Terminator, what do you charge for a Covercradle?

Well, there's the CoverCradle and the Uprite.  I would go with the CC.  You need 25" of clearance for it.  The Uprite is great if you are putting it up against a wall as it only takes up 8".  If you have the room, CoverCradle all the way.  It's the best one on the market, in my opinion. :)

Terminator

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

mheuple

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 02:15:40 pm »
Cover mate 1 is $185 and the Covercradle is $395???  Here is the package that I am being quoted:

HS Vanguard, steps, Ozonator, Starter kit, cover, Delivered for 8k,   Sound about right?  Anything else I should have??

keating

• Arctic Avalanche Ultra DELIVERED
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 02:25:47 pm »
Mine is basically the same as the covermate I.

Personally, I think it's horrible........I can barely get the cover off by myself by standing at the side......I flip half of the cover back, then lifting from one side, I lift the thing about 18" off the tub and the whole thing is just flexing, the cover is still sitting tight on the far side.
And I ain't exactly scrawny.....@ 5'9" and 200lbs.

I'm thinking of ditching it....easier to flip top, then pull off the tub and gently slide it down the side of the tub onto the ground.....working from the side is no good.....

Catch 22 of spa ownership......I've had a bad back since the tub arrived, but at least I've got the tub to soothe the bad back.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 02:36:55 pm »
Covermate I is really for smaller tubs or midsized at most. Anything larger and they're a bit unsurdy during opening (not really too difficult but a bit clumsy). You will end up wondering how well it'll hold up long term on the larger tubs as they really seem to get tweaked a bit during opening from the side. Any tub 7'x7' or larger and I'd definitely upgrade from a CM I to a surdier model. Unfortunately, very often the CM I seems to be the choice due to cost alone but while you save up front you loose with ease of use and length of life of the lifter IMO.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 02:38:05 pm »
Mine is basically the same as the covermate I.

Personally, I think it's horrible........I can barely get the cover off by myself by standing at the side......I flip half of the cover back, then lifting from one side, I lift the thing about 18" off the tub and the whole thing is just flexing, the cover is still sitting tight on the far side.
And I ain't exactly scrawny.....@ 5'9" and 200lbs.

I'm thinking of ditching it....easier to flip top, then pull off the tub and gently slide it down the side of the tub onto the ground.....working from the side is no good.....

Catch 22 of spa ownership......I've had a bad back since the tub arrived, but at least I've got the tub to soothe the bad back.

I flip over half the cover, jump into the tub, and from inside the tub, lift the rest of the cover off.  the tub, mostly from the center of the cover.
07 Caldera Geneva

mheuple

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 03:17:16 pm »
appreciate all the input.  Sounds like the better the system the more $$.  I will take the misses to the store and see what she can lift.

keating

• Arctic Avalanche Ultra DELIVERED
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 03:17:51 pm »
yeah, that seems to be the best bet.

Just realized mine IS a Covermate 1, but apparantly there's a customised side mounting bracket for Arctic, which is why mine looks a little different than others i've seen.

I've been looking at it, trying to figure out how to add hydraulic assist....

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 04:37:18 pm »
Terminator, what do you charge for a Covercradle?

$395, not a penny more!

Terminator

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 04:37:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42