What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Don't Let This Happen to You!  (Read 23724 times)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Don't Let This Happen to You!
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2005, 02:40:01 pm »
Anyone who owns a spa in a cool climate should consider putting mouse repellent or poison in the equipment compartment.  Mice (not familiar with rats) love the warm environment and are very crafty at getting into these spaces.  Anyone who thinks their spa is immune from this is in denial.   A little prevention is well worth it, IMO.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2005, 02:40:01 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2005, 04:01:32 pm »
Thanks Tony, I figured that mice would somehow figure out how to squeeze into the cabinet when it gets cold out.   What exactly is mouse repellent? I am not real big on putting poisons out because other critters can become unintended victims. If there is a friendly way to keep them out I would like to try it.  :)

Support your dealer so they can support you!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2005, 04:05:04 pm »
My boss had some big ol' rats in his attic and he got an electric rat trap.  It's like a big bug zapper but it killled those rats dead!

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 10:07:29 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2005, 04:06:20 pm »
Thanks Tony, I figured that mice would somehow figure out how to squeeze into the cabinet when it gets cold out.   What exactly is mouse repellent? I am not real big on putting poisons out because other critters can become unintended victims. If there is a friendly way to keep them out I would like to try it.  :)

Mothballs, but then when you open your venturi air injectors, the scent may repell you from the tub....
Homeworks Financing Representative

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2005, 04:12:24 pm »
Ok, you know somebody that has a rat zapper?  Since we are on the topic of pests....Tell me what to do about my neighbor's dog that keeps peeing on... my deck, my flowers, my pool, my swing, my cooler full of cheap beer...Seriously I don't know what my husband will do it that PIA dog pees on our new hot tub! I have tried everything to get rid of him but.... no luck.   ???Think the rat zapper would work? Tell me details...and tell the truth are you really typing or using voice recognition software?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2005, 04:17:08 pm »
Bonibelle, I am typing as sure as the sune rises somewhere.

My Grandpa had a neighbor with a mean old German Shepherd that kept getting in Grandma's flower bed.  He strung up an electrical wire across there one day.

Well, old Dusty (the dog) come sidling up to the flower bed one day, took a sniff of the wire, and commenced to peeing on it.  ZZZZAAAAAAPPPPPP!!!!!!!  Rur-rurr -rrrurrr-yeelppp-yeellllp!  He took off and never came back!  The electricity travelled all the way upstream and zapped him right in his ding-a-ling!

That might do the trick!

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 11:53:34 am by East_TX_Spa »

Brookenstein

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2005, 04:26:38 pm »
Well, old Dusty (the dog) come sidling up to the flower bed one day, tookd a sniff of the wire, and commenced to peeing on it. ZZZZAAAAAAPPPPPP!!!!!!!  Rur-rurr -rrrurrr= yeelppp-yeellllp!  
Terminaor

I thought only drunk high school boys did that.  

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2005, 04:27:08 pm »
I may be borrowing your gun!  

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2005, 04:27:40 pm »

I thought only drunk high school boys did that.  

Only once.  I speak from experience.

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 10:09:38 am by East_TX_Spa »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2005, 04:28:50 pm »
I may be borrowing your gun!  
Borrow!  Heck, I'll give you one if you want.  It'll free up space to buy another! ;D

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 10:10:06 am by East_TX_Spa »

Lablover2004

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2005, 04:44:06 pm »
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Terminator,

are you telling us that Hot springs spas won't get vermin and rodents in them,

Oh PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE tell me this I am a proud owner of a tiger river sumatran bought in august. I am really enjoying and your answer will make me very happy if its a good answer

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2005, 04:48:16 pm »
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Terminator,

are you telling us that Hot springs spas won't get vermin and rodents in them,

Oh PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE tell me this I am a proud owner of a tiger river sumatran bought in august. I am really enjoying and your answer will make me very happy if its a good answer

Verily, I say unto you, it shall be easier for a donkey to pass through the eye of the beholder than for a critter to enter the inner sanctum of your spa's family jewels.

The bottom of the spa is sealed with a 60 lb layer of high-density foam insulation, hard as a rock.  All access points are protected with a mesh metal screen to prevent access by all vermin personnel.  As long as the spa is on a level, flat surface, you are good to go!

Terminator

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2005, 04:52:50 pm »
And I have been thinking about that chewed up spa.  I am guessing that the varments took up residence looking for shelter but at some point the owner must have just turned it off and left it for a while. With all those chewed hoses, the rats would have been flooded out...wouldn't they? I guess I am saying that a lot of the damage could have happened because no one was using the tub or  even noticed the insides were being destroyed. So as long as you check regularly for rodent damage, you should be OK?????

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2005, 04:57:09 pm »
And I have been thinking about that chewed up spa.  I am guessing that the varments took up residence looking for shelter but at some point the owner must have just turned it off and left it for a while. With all those chewed hoses, the rats would have been flooded out...wouldn't they? I guess I am saying that a lot of the damage could have happened because no one was using the tub or  even noticed the insides were being destroyed. So as long as you check regularly for rodent damage, you should be OK?????

I'm sorry that I have upset some of you.  Bonibelle, Lablover2004, my precious cappykat, you are all going to be just fine.  You have all purchased top-of-the-line spas that are as rodent-proof as a spa can be.  Bonibelle is correct in the respect of being dilligent in your observations of your particular spas.  Open the equipment door from time to time to make sure there are no signs of infestation.  Those little boogers can get in the darndest of places.  Due dilligence will prevent any such infestation.

Rest easy, my dears.

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 04:57:44 pm by East_TX_Spa »

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2005, 05:05:24 pm »
Last year we had the wiring harness of our truck chewed up by chipmunks (2500.00 worth of damage and by the way, the comprehensive portion of car insurance covers it)

Our mechanic told us to stuff bounce sheets  in every crevice possible to repel them. (NOT  the fragrance free ones) We haven't had any problems since, but then this was the first time it's ever happened.  I put bounce sheets in my tub cabinet  now too.  Since then, I've talked to people who have heard of Bounce working as repellant, so it's not just my mechanics idea.  Just be sure to change them every couple months or so- I change them whenever I drain and fill-which will be tomorrow.
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2005, 05:05:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42