What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Don't Let This Happen to You!  (Read 23723 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Don't Let This Happen to You!
« on: November 17, 2005, 02:18:25 pm »
For everyone that is considering purchasing or already owns a spa with the entrails exposed, please take heed of this tale of woe. :(

Back in 2001, a robust, courtly gentleman visited my store to peruse my wares.  I obviously failed the man, who then had the misfortune of deciding to purchase a spa from a charlatan down the road.  He "saved" $800 by doing this but, alas, it was not to be spatopia for him.  For you see, he was convinced by an unscrupulous salesperson that he didn't need all that foam clogging up the underside of his spa.  If his spa leaked, it could be easily fixed.  After all, digging through so much foam would be "a hassle and very expensive."  A series of unfortunate events would soon unfold.

Fast forward to 2004.  This man (a good man, mind you, with a good heart and a trusting nature) returned to my establishment with a heavy burden and a weary disposition.  He related his tale of woe to me with such despondency in his voice that I steeled my resolve to help him in whatever way I could.  The story (and the photographic documentation which follows) is not for the faint of heart, so be warned, yet, do not despair, for a happy ending will reward all those who dare to stay the course.

Rodents!  Rats, mice, squirrels, the bane of mankind, had taken residency beneath the hollow redwood walls of his pride and joy.  For vermin such as these, his spa was a virtual paradise in which to reside during the long, harsh winter months.  After all, it was reasonably warm within the dark recesses.  To quench their thirst, an abundant supply of clean water flowed above their heads, ripe for the plundering of sharp, wicked teeth.  The gnawing-gnawing-gnawing, day and night, was maddening to the man, much as the Tell-Tale Heart in the story of old.  Massive spa failure ensued, massive disappointment deluged it's owner.

After the dealership informed our protaganist that "Hey, we just sell spas, we don't service them.  We don't even sell that brand any more, but I'll sell you a new one."

"No thank you, I'm going to see Terminator."

I greeted him like the Prodigal Son, welcomed him with open arms, and offered him an exceptional opportunity to own a spa that would meet his expectations.  We removed his tumorous box of disappointment and replaced it with a world class product he can be proud of.  His life is now fulfilling, as everyone's should be.  He has found spatopia!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

Don't Let This Happen to You!
« on: November 17, 2005, 02:18:25 pm »

Anoroc

Re: Don't Let This Happen to You!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 02:22:35 pm »
Interesting Post.  Do you think we should be weary of varments living under the spa?  Or is this because he did not have it fully foamed and insulated?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 02:26:42 pm »
Interesting Post.  Do you think we should be weary of varments living under the spa?  Or is this because he did not have it fully foamed and insulated?

Your spa will be fine!  It is fully insulated, has a solid rock hard bottom, and rodent screens to prevent any access.  You'll be good to go.

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 03:58:57 pm by East_TX_Spa »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 02:32:28 pm »
Your spa will be fine!  It is fully insulated, has a solid rock hard bottom, and rodent screens to prevent any access.  You'll be good to go (once your spa is running :().

Terminator

Now the heathens, pagens and sodimites have warned me that although I have a FF hot tub, that since my tub's bottom is not sealed, some rodenst will burrow into the foam. I find this hard to belive, as they would have to come through the cement pad.  Others have warned me of plauges of ants and locust.   ?  ?   ?

Still, my old tub wasn't ff and I had several happy furry mice living in the shell.  
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 02:37:15 pm »
Heed not, my friend, the hysterics of naysayers.  Yea, lest ye fall under the influence of their wickedness, have faith in me, your brethren, when I impart upon you the peace of mind that comes with ownership of your given vessel.  Hearken to my words!

Terminator

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 02:41:38 pm »
Is that insulation typical? There isn't even insualtion on the plumping.  There is no insulation on the inside cabinet wall. This cannot be a typical TP tub?  

You can tell us, who makes that tub?

looks simiilliar to my first tub that was a P.O.S.
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 02:48:40 pm »
Doesn't that make YOU the protaganist?

Which then raises the question;  Who is the true antagonist?  the other spa dealer or the varments?

NOt only are you an innovate chief, you are one heck of a writer.....I really enjoyed your story!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 02:50:22 pm »
One of the largest spa companies in the industry.  I have removed all vestiges of identification so as not to promote disharmony.

I'd give you the initials, but you killed me in the movie post! ;D

An impartial person will happen along shortly, I'm sure.

Terminator

keating

• Arctic Avalanche Ultra DELIVERED
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 02:50:54 pm »
When I bought my current house, after the previous owner moved out, there was this huge pile of what looked like sawdust where his hot tub had been...when I looked closer, it seemed to be fine granular spongey material......when I asked about it, it turn out to be the insulation from his tub.....it was a FF tub, and the bottom wasn't sealed.....ants had destroyed the innards, and when the tub was picked up, the insulation and an awful ot of ants were  left on the deck.....the colony migrated to under the edge of the paver deck, where I hope I did a successful job of killing the bastages.  I'm planning on putting a whole bunch of ant traps and a couple mouse traps in the cabinet of my new tub, (just in case) but since the blower pulls air from within the cabinet, I don't want to be blowing ant dust / rat poison laden air through the water, ya know?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 02:58:23 pm by keating »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 02:53:34 pm »

Which then raises the question;  Who is the true antagonist?  the other spa dealer or the varments?

NOt only are you an innovate chief, you are one heck of a writer.....I really enjoyed your story!

I am simply this, a purveyor of dreams, inconsequential to the story as a whole, essential only as a necessory. ;)

(I'm glad you enjoyed the story Bonibelle.  I have too much time on my hands, as if that's not obvious!) :)

Terminator

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 03:01:22 pm »
I was having a rough time rationalizing the care and feeding of our cats until now!

All rats agree:  Nothing chews like a DAIT....... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 03:24:37 pm »

This is the TRUE hero of our story.  Alas, the last of its breed...... :'(

Terminator

OregonVTX

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 05:05:48 pm »
I have fixed a many of Hot Spring with rodent damage. No spa is rat proof. I have seen many of tunnels through the foam.

Now I still prefer full foam, it is the only way to go, but your post implies full foam spas do not get rodent damage.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 05:18:47 pm »
So is there any way to keep critters out? I was going to put my new spa on a brick base but thought better of it knowing how many burrowing things I have running around in my yard.  Since we feed the birds and live near farms, we have plenty of rodents in the winter. If the tub is on a deck they shouldn't be able to get under it should they?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

cappykat

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 05:30:45 pm »
Wow...that is some good writing Term!  Very interesting post.  I don't have a HS, so now I'm wondering if my brand new Marquis is impervious to all manner of pests/rodents...and what can I do to safeguard my beautiful tub?  

Even living in the city we have seen rats run across our fence at night.  Should I put out traps and cheese?  Tell us oh ye man of wisdom...what can we subserviant people do?
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 05:30:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42