What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: my sovereign tub project - PART 4 (test time)  (Read 3416 times)

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
my sovereign tub project - PART 4 (test time)
« on: November 15, 2005, 10:53:19 pm »
well...

The leaky jet went through massive coats of pvc cement to fill in the crack, and then plastic expoxy to create a steal/concrete like surface around it.

I rebuilt the pump...

filled it up, and am testing it.

Okay, I'm getting a little ahead of myself turning the light on and all, but so far so good.  

no leaks (except a minor one where return pipe goes into the pump - which just needs a new gasket or some silicone)

:D

So, a few more days of testing and, fingers crossed, I begin to emerge from the forest.

Then refinishing the skirt, and building a mini pergola to avoid falling avacados from the tree above.

Hot Tub Forum

my sovereign tub project - PART 4 (test time)
« on: November 15, 2005, 10:53:19 pm »

J._McD

Re: my sovereign tub project - PART 4 (test time)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 12:09:13 am »
Once yo get used to this tub and enoy it, you are just gonna love your next tub.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 03:39:31 am »
uh, okay. I don't plan on getting another tub any time soon.
The last hot tub I had - another place - was an in ground thing from the seventies. Compared to that, this is high tech.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 04:39:08 am »
You need some monkey snot on that gasket. Great stuff makes an old gasket seem new. Silicon based, yep.
Retired

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 09:03:48 am »
st18901

Gald to hear that things are  moving forward.  I'd really like to know some of the details of the project and am just too damn lazy to fish back through all your posts, and was wondering if you could summarize the project?  :)

How old is the tub? Where did you get it, how much did it cost, the work, time and $ you dumped into it?  
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 09:12:11 am »
That is fantastic st18901, you ARE really a do-it-yourselfer.  I can't wait to see the finished product.

I've got a 20 year-old Jetsetter on my deck that still runs like the day it was built.  Sitting right next to it is a 2001 model "Brand X" spa that has to be seen to be believed.  Rats and squirrels chewed it to bits, the pumps are rusted and frozen up, handrail is broken, cabinet screws are rusted and falling out.  It is a GREAT sales tool.

I think I'll post pics later.

Again, congratulations on your project! :)  Enjoy that tub!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 03:23:16 pm »
Well, water is hot, and the pump is pumping away - so far, so good with the jet. I'm going to let it run for a couple hours and then again in the evening.

Anyway - hot water bubbling away... I coudn't resist. You know.   ;D

My first experience in the tub was great. There's still so much work to do, but it makes it all worth while.

I work from home, so I could take the lunch moment off.

One side note: I think I pulled something in my arm with a careless maneuver while putting the cover on. DOH!

My last hot tub was an in ground job, so I used to just drag that cover away. I guess I'll have to figure out something better with this.

Drewster - the project summary thus far:

Sept 1: craigslist ad -- FREE spa, needs repair, free for the hauling

I responded, got pics and learned that it was a 1986 Hot Springs Sovereign (from people on this site).

I checked it out, got the straight scoop - it worked, the shell was good, but the pump leaked, and so did a jet area. The guy wasn't interested in fixing it because it came with the house he bought. (also we were in the midst of VERY hot weather in L.A., so he was thinking about a pool.

I got a uhaul truck four strong friends and a couple furniture dollies, and moved it to our place. A lot of planning, and some grunting made for an incredibly smooth move.

It sat for a while on the concrete slab behind my garage while I enlisted another friend (an electrician) to help me pull wire, and add a dedicated circuit, GFI, etc. Though we're not getting it inspected  ;)  , I did want everything to be legit.

I didn't want to fill it with water till I had a proper cover, and in scouring craigslist and recycler, found the right size (actually for a Sundance) brand new, never used for $100.00.

Filled it up, and started it up in late October.

It worked, but it leaked - just like the previous owner told me it would.

ripped into the area the leak seemed to be coming from. Not there.
Found the leak on the opposite side.

Emptied the tub and moved it away from the wall that the leaking side is against (figures) - I did this myself by putting a 1/2 inch dowel under the tub, and rolling it away. cool trick.

Massive crack in the jet. I'm currently hoping that my epoxy job will work.

Rebuilt the pump. Still have to replace a gasket on a PVC coupler fitting.

I plan to refinish the skirt, and replace whatever needs replacing.

cost:

uhaul and mileage      140.00
electric                     100.00
cover                          100.00
pump rebuild                   25.00
jet fix                              20.00
Great stuff foam             6.00

Total thus far            $391.00

Additionals yet to come:
moto massage             75.00
wood                            50.00
filter                              40.00
chemicals                      25.00
Time: scouring Internet and these forums
:D  many hours of fun.

Digging foam, moving hot tub, rebuilding pump - 4 hours ( a guess)
Pondering my insanity  - (10 hours)

Not bad I think thus far.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 03:50:47 pm by st18901 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 03:23:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42