What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I'm in panic mode!  (Read 18692 times)

cappykat

I'm in panic mode!
« on: November 08, 2005, 10:42:13 am »
Mendo, Stuart...someone.  I'm getting panicked because it sounds as though I need to drain ASAP and I have no idea how to do this.  I haven't added anything since the pH down last night.  

Many posters are telling me to drain as soon as possible because of the high acidity and I don't know how to do that.  Where do I drain the water...remember we have new landscaping.  Will it hurt that?

HELP!!  I've called my dealer but got voice mail.
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

I'm in panic mode!
« on: November 08, 2005, 10:42:13 am »

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
Re: I'm in panic mode!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 10:51:34 am »
I don't think you need to panic, Cappycat!  Do you have some ph increaser?  If you do, read the instructions and follow them to add a dose of it.  You should be able to add some every 15 minutes or so.  I'd keep the spa circulating and make sure to shift the diverter valves and run all jets, and the air pump intermittently to ensure all passages get flushed as you raise ph.  Keep adding a dose at a time until you get a reading on your strips or phenol red test.  This will take time, but at least you know that you are reducing the acidity with each addition of ph up.  I personally would not drain until I had the ph corrected, but that's just my opinion.  If you do this, you'll be improving the situation while you wait for your husband.  Chin up  ;)

Steve

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 11:01:16 am »
ssbraun,
Is there any reason to add PH up if cappycat is going to dump the water later today?
Will the acidity hurt anything if its simply left alone for a few hours?

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

cappykat

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 11:07:20 am »
I just added 7oz of pH Up...tested, no change.  Given the amount of pH Down I added last night, I think it will take the entire bottle.

I don't know how to run the spa.  I mean I can turn on the jets, but the spa is programmed to filter and I don't even want to touch that.  

The spa has been acidic since last night, so now after reading the posts, I'm concerned about leaving it any longer.  
2005 Marquis Epic

Haynes

• 2005 Down East Cape Cod/ Monongahela, PA
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 11:13:08 am »
Do you have an owners manual?  It should tell you how to drain it.  Many times it is best to dump the water and start over than adding a  multitude of chemicals in an attempt to correct bad water.  I don't think you need to be in panic mode.  
Haynes

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 11:15:35 am »
You are welcome to call me at work in an hour I will talk you through it if you like?
-SpaMan~

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 11:36:36 am »
ssbraun,
Is there any reason to add PH up if cappycat is going to dump the water later today?
Will the acidity hurt anything if its simply left alone for a few hours?

Phil

Since the ph is off the scale on the acidic side, I don't know how low it is.  I am going by my experience, and that is that with my continued high ph problems, and a tub that hold 600 gallons, 2 doses of 4 teaspoons each, premixed in cool water as per instructions, added 15 minutes apart, will drop my ph from 8.4 to 7.6.  Knowing this, 2 lbs. sounds like an awful lot, so I'm guessing that the water is very acidic.  I don't pretend to know the ramifications of dumping it on the ground, or leaving it in the spa.  I have a strong suspicion, however, that the later is a bad idea, and if it were my spa, I'd be working to correct it asap.  I would not dump acidic water in my yard or down my drain, so I personally would try to correct ph first, then drain.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 11:44:33 am »
Don't panic but do drain it.  One of my customers let their pH drop so low that his pillow dissolved as well as the locks on his cover!  It can do some damage.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

cappykat

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 11:52:12 am »
I just got off the phone with my dealer.  He said, "there's an easy way and a hard way to do this.  Try to get the pH back up and waste a lot of chemicals or DRAIN IT"!!

He walked me through it and I got the owner's manual out and it's draining as we speak.  Geez, I was trying to help the husband out by doing the chems because he's been so busy at work, and I scew it up the first time...LOL!!

I'm not going to let this get me.  I took of the panel and released the valve, hooked up the hose and it worked!!  Whoo hoo!!

Thanks everyone...you know I'll be back!
2005 Marquis Epic

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 11:53:22 am »
The power is off, right?

The reason I ask is one of my customers just called.  She drained her "HotSpring Landmark jacuzzi" last night and forgot to turn the power off.

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 11:54:54 am by East_TX_Spa »

hymbaw

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 11:54:48 am »
I'm with Term - DRAIN IT! By the time you correct your ph with chems, your TDS will be off the charts.

Run up to LOWE'S and buy a submersible pump. They are cheap and will make your future drains a lot easier.

Hurry and good luck!
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

cappykat

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 11:58:43 am »
I turned the power off at the breaker box.  Wow...what a morning!!
2005 Marquis Epic

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 11:59:02 am »
Cappy is concerned about draining it into the new landscaping.

I would recomend that you buy and extra long hose while at the hardware store and don't drain this water into your new shrubs. Can you run the house to the front yard, or som place where it won't damage your new plants?

IF you have city sewage, you could drain in down the drain.

Don't drain it down your drain if you have a septic tank.  Do the plants before you drain into a septic tank,

« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 12:00:16 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 12:01:15 pm »
Thanks everyone...you know I'll be back!

Hey!  That's my quote. 8)

Terminator

cappykat

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 12:02:16 pm »
I guess I need to replace my pH Down since I practically used it all.  The brand is ProTeam...is there a better way to buy chems than at Lowe's or a pool supply?  

Submersible pump??  I think I'll leave that to my husband.  I'm draining into the part of the yard that is fenced off and still looks like a weed factory.
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 12:02:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42