What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Shopping  (Read 13364 times)

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
Re: Hot Tub Shopping
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2005, 12:19:13 am »

Not anything to throw the gloves off over.

Nah - most of it's fun speculation and polite banter.  If anything to answer my own question, I am going to check it out.  Of course it might be late Jan. before we get the temps to really do it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2005, 12:19:13 am »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2005, 08:44:04 am »
What kind of a rude dog are you.....If am stating something that is untrue please point it out. You cannot run 3 pumps and a heater all at the same time, If this is untrue please enlighten us all with your break though in electrical law ....If you want to believe that it is OK to lie about HP power , than you are the right guy for the makers who tout this lie as it is total BS .....if it does not matter to you fine but that does not change that  it is in fact  BS, why would you take offense to it. Again what did I say that is untrue.

Sorry, Mendo, I was trying to compliment your post.....great advice.  All it needed was a little sifting......

It didn't have anything to do with truth or untruth.....you stated your opinion and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.  I felt that there was nothing there but confusion for the thread starter except for the last two sentences which were outstanding.  Horsepower.....shmorsepower.  Number of pumps/jets.....who cares?  As you stated, it's all in the wet test.  Any consumer that cannot see through the obvious marketing bs gets what they deserve.  It's our job here to help those newbies that ask to get past all of that bs.  The beginning of your post propagates it......the end of your post gets the message across.  Sorry if you feel your toes are crushed but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.....nothing personal.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2005, 08:50:58 am »

So what exactly is the downside to running three pumps again?  If you can run three main therapy pumps and give good therapy to every seat, what's not to like about that?  

I didnt read the whole thread yet, so forgive me if someone already answered.

The downside to running 3 therapy pumps at once is that you cannot run the heater. The spa pak will tell the heater not to run.

If the heater (4KW or greater) is running with 11 or more bHP of pump, the spa will draw more than 50 Amps. This could result in the breaker tripping and would definitely result in the #6 wire running quite hot. For these reasons, the spa pak tells the heater not to run while three therapy pumps are running.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 08:55:52 am by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2005, 09:03:57 am »
I didnt read the whole thread yet, so forgive me if someone already answered.

The downside to running 3 therapy pumps at once is that you cannot run the heater. The spa pak will tell the heater not to run.

If the heater (4KW or greater) is running with 11 or more bHP of pump, the spa will draw more than 50 Amps. This could result in the breaker tripping and would definitely result in the #6 wire running quite hot. For these reasons, the spa pak tells the heater not to run while three therapy pumps are running.

Noone actually believes that the breaker will actually handle the full 50 amps do they, dont they usually trip over 43 amps?
-SpaMan~

windsurfdog

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2005, 09:21:35 am »
There seems to be a lot of people here propagating something that just isn't true.  Here's how my LSX handles the power stuff:

1--24/7 circ pump
2--2 speed therapy pumps (b.h.p./c.h.p., who cares--marketing bs.  They run and they run well.)
1--1 speed therapy pump  (ditto)

Between the three therapy pumps, there are at least 12 combinations (you do the math if you want to know exactly how many) of high speed/low speed/on/off settings.  The only one that causes the heater to shut off is if both 2 speed motors are on high and the 1 speed motor is on.....that's it.  When all three motors are on this one combination, there is considerable heat transfer to the water.  Enough to keep the water to temp here in Florida?  Definitely......too much many times.  In Canada?  You'll have to ask someone with this same setup there.  The point is this:  You CAN run all three pumps at the same time with the heater......just not the combination I stated.  This is the truth......no opinion.  Now let's put this to rest and get back to helping people with facts.....the most important being wet test, wet test, wet test.

And please don't expect me to further debate this issue.  Accept the fact that this is the truth.....not as I see it but as I've seen it in action in my own tub.  Maybe other controllers aren't programmed like this, but mine is.....debate closed.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2005, 11:11:26 am »
You CAN run all three pumps at the same time with the heater......just not the combination I stated.  This is the truth......no opinion.

YES, we were only talking about what happens when all 3 pumps are on high speed, not the low speed used to run a waterfall or whateve other reason it would be on low. How often is this an issue? Probably rarely in Florida unless it's a cool day (assuming you have them) and you have the pumps on for 40 minutes (maybe not even then). In cold areas like Canada it depends on length of spa use with the jets on and outside temp. So how often is the spa used with 4 people in it who have the pumps on for 15+ minutes in 15ºF weather? I don't know and even then it's may not be much of an issue.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

windsurfdog

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2005, 12:13:08 pm »
Mendocino said:
To run 3 pumps at once you heater in effect becomes like a spa that runs off 110 it will not run at the same time as all three pumps and that is the point...

Spatech t.u.o. said:
You can't have the heater on when all 3 pumps are on so the controller automatically disables the heater until one of the pumps is turned off.

HotTubMan said:

Spatech t.u.o. said:
YES, we were only talking about what happens when all 3 pumps are on high speed, not the low speed used to run a waterfall or whateve other reason it would be on low.

Thank you. tuo.  As you can see in these quotes from the thread, that is not what was said and why I posted as I did.  The newbies need accurate information and the information provided in the first three quotes was not correct.  

BTW, I never use the low speed to see the waterfalls which are nothing more than fluff anyway.  I do use the low speed to enjoy a mild therapy while making it easier to enjoy wonderful conversation when not alone.  Otherwise, for me, high speed all the way.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2005, 01:22:06 pm »
That is the whole point..... The question was raised about the ability to run every jet at once. and there are only a few ways for this to happen, with those that do use 3 therapy pumps if you want them to run on high speed than its not going to happen with the heater also running.... and again this is not about marketing but simple engineering ..... The real bottom line is jets and hot water will make you feel better after that there are other ways to enhance your hydro therapy experience, its all about what works for you.....I was just pointing out how all jets work and why some makers go down a different path to archive the therapy experience that they offer.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2005, 01:56:00 pm »

It didn't have anything to do with truth or untruth.....you stated your opinion and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.  .

I am not trying to nick pick here...but what I was pointing out, is that this is NOT my opinion just simple fact about what 50 or 60 amps of power will run. I was leaving my opinion out of it.

Just to add. it would be marketing to lead someone to believe that when you tell them all 3 pumps and your heater will run at the same time......and than leave out only on low speed , that would be very deceptive ....when someone asks about all the jets running I think it is reasonable to assume they mean at their maximum .....I do not think any of us who posted about 3 pumps were ever thinking about low speed and the consumer would not be.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 02:04:55 pm by Mendocino101 »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2005, 02:28:19 pm »
BTW, I never use the low speed to see the waterfalls which are nothing more than fluff anyway.  I do use the low speed to enjoy a mild therapy while making it easier to enjoy wonderful conversation when not alone.  Otherwise, for me, high speed all the way.

I do tend to only think of the low speed as being used for filtering and wateralls. I guess someone might have it on for other reasons but I don't see them as having much use for anything else but filtering and waterfalls (in my case, I don't even have a waterfall and I've been able to survive so far ::)).

windsurfdog

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2005, 08:28:27 am »
Just to add. it would be marketing to lead someone to believe that when you tell them all 3 pumps and your heater will run at the same time......and than leave out only on low speed , that would be very deceptive ....when someone asks about all the jets running I think it is reasonable to assume they mean at their maximum .....I do not think any of us who posted about 3 pumps were ever thinking about low speed and the consumer would not be.

Only problem is the assume part.  This thread was meant for newbies to get accurate information--not for you and I to, yet again, debate marketing ethics or lack thereof (anyone seen that dead horse lately?).  So even your quoted statement above has inaccuracies.

I'm finished now--I can't make my point any clearer.

And once again, please don't take it personally.  Let's just agree to disagree and let the newbies choose.

windsurfdog

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2005, 08:33:20 am »

I do tend to only think of the low speed as being used for filtering and wateralls. I guess someone might have it on for other reasons but I don't see them as having much use for anything else but filtering and waterfalls (in my case, I don't even have a waterfall and I've been able to survive so far ::)).

Does your personal spa have multi-speed motors?  If not, there's a good chance that your viewpoint may be different if it did.  There is a definite place for low speed therapy in the spa experience beyond filters and waterfalls.  That's the best thing about the LSX....options and flexability.... :)

salesdvl

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2005, 09:49:56 am »
I believe that there is also a way to have the heater kick down to a lower output when the big pumps are on.
Measure once, cut twice.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2005, 12:30:46 pm »
Does your personal spa have multi-speed motors?  If not, there's a good chance that your viewpoint may be different if it did.  There is a definite place for low speed therapy in the spa experience beyond filters and waterfalls.  That's the best thing about the LSX....options and flexability.... :)

Yes I am speaking from experieince. For me it's real use if for filtering or a waterfall if you like teh visual (I can skip it and get by). Low spead water flow (I'll skip the word therapy) on my body is about as useful as air blowers jets [size=18][glb]IMO.[/glb][/size]

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2005, 04:55:51 pm »

Yes I am speaking from experieince. For me it's real use if for filtering or a waterfall if you like teh visual (I can skip it and get by). Low spead water flow (I'll skip the word therapy) on my body is about as useful as air blowers jets [size=18][glb]IMO.[/glb][/size]

Actually, air blower jets seem more useful to me than a pump on low speed.  My spa has both so I can speak from experience.  I wasn't for for getting the blower, but the wife wanted it.  They add a little something if you're in the shallow side seats, but add essentially nothing if you're in one of the corner chairs.  My young son likes the bubbles.  Quiet, it is not.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2005, 04:55:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42