What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Article on UL Listing  (Read 3870 times)

Chris_H

Article on UL Listing
« on: October 06, 2005, 02:14:30 pm »
Please see the following link stating why manufacturers are now going to ETL instead of UL.  

I think allows me to safely assume that one specific manufacturer did not lose their UL listing, as one person likes to tell people.  I personally think that UL probably has had discussions with Watkins about this and Watkins probably balked at the idea and took their business elsewhere.  

http://www.poolspanews.com/2005/092/092topnews.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 02:23:50 pm by Chris_H »

Hot Tub Forum

Article on UL Listing
« on: October 06, 2005, 02:14:30 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Article on UL Listing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 03:30:28 pm »
The article also mentions that D1 will be moving their testing from UL to ETL soon.  
Wonder how long it will take "him" to claim that he was responsible for D1 loosing their UL listing.  

It's just lucky we all have this knight in shining armor looking out for our best interests.  I know it makes me sleep better at night, in my UL/ETL listed Select Comfort bed.

Brewman

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 04:53:48 pm »
The Master dealer here said HS lost their UL listing due to fires in their spas.  

Did HS have an issue with fires?  I dismissed it as the Master dealer bashing another mfr.

Chris_H

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 04:57:40 pm »
The Master dealer here said HS lost their UL listing due to fires in their spas.  

Did HS have an issue with fires?  I dismissed it as the Master dealer bashing another mfr.

Hotspring did have an issue with their heater causing fires, but it was cleared up.  It did not cause them to lose their UL listing.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 05:26:20 pm »
MAAX (Coleman, Elite, Nahani) uses ETL.
Hydropool  (Hydropool, Serenity) uses ETL.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 09:45:52 am »
According to Chas, who's someone I'd be inclined to believe on this, HS decided to drop UL for ETL, since they test to the same standards.  
Brewman

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 09:46:14 am »
D-1 has been ETL for awhile now.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 11:37:21 am »
AND it costs substantialy less to list with ETL.

According to Chas, who's someone I'd be inclined to believe on this, HS decided to drop UL for ETL, since they test to the same standards.  

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 03:03:35 pm »
Arctic is ELT listed.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 07:15:08 pm »
Help me out here.....In reading the article I can not see whats the big deal outside of holding makers to more accurate temp readings. Its not changing from the 104 mark for safety , just taking out some of the wiggle room.....what am I missing.

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 11:06:13 pm »
Help me out here.....In reading the article I can not see whats the big deal outside of holding makers to more accurate temp readings. Its not changing from the 104 mark for safety , just taking out some of the wiggle room.....what am I missing.

Isn't there something around CD Ozone and UL?  It seems as if ETL is the standard of choice for spa mfrs now anyway.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 09:33:20 am »
I had heard that UL standards on stereos were forcing many manufacturers to switch.

Homeworks Financing Representative

ramdom

• Hydropool 625er.
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 05:39:06 am »
Wow. Considering this thread seems to be noting such an important regulating arm of hot tub manufacturer's codes, it seems it died a pretty quick and silent death. What are we missing indeed?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 11:44:21 pm »
Well, if you notice it said that the makers were having trouble with revisions to the UL standard: "The revisions cover seven areas of standard UL 1563" which happens to be the standard that ETL uses. So if UL changes its standard and manufacturers don't want to come in line with it, they will be forced to get ETL to develop it's own standard - or get UL to drop the "104 max temp" stipulation.

Personally, having sold tubs which go above 104 for 20 years, I don't see it as a problem. People often brag that they like to run their tubs real hot, but once they get into a tub which not only gets real hot but STAYS real hot while in use, they tend to back it down to 102 or 103.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 03:55:56 pm »
I would like to offer my qualified opinion and some background information on the concept of listings.  Let me first explain that in my profession it is necessary for me to sit on various technical committees that write codes and standards relating to safety.  In this capacity we on the technical committees deal with the subject of listings all the time.  Specifically, we determine what equipment must be listed.  

When a code or standard requires a listing, the manufacturer of equipment that falls under that document is obligated to submit his product(s) for test to an independent third party laboratory.  Not all labs are capable of testing all products.  UL is well known, and they have developed protocols for testing and have listed thousands of products over the years.  Most of their listings are orientated to consumer products.  

UL has not had much competition and they have, perhaps unintentionally, developed a reputation for being somewhat difficult to work with.  ETL is offering UL some much needed competition.  This is better for the consumer, better for the manufacturer, and ultimately better for UL.  There is no downside to this.  

As consumers, we need to make sure that we buy from responsible manufacturers who submit their products for third party test as required by code.  The name of the lab doing the testing, assuming the lab is qualified and recognized, has no direct impact whatsoever on the consumer.  

Whereas this testing and listing process is extremely expensive and time consuming, and since both UL and ETL are recognized as qualified and excellent labs, the consumer is the main beneficiary.  

Regards,

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 03:55:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42