What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine floaters??  (Read 9614 times)

tkruel

• Master LSX
Chlorine floaters??
« on: October 19, 2005, 11:44:50 am »
Does anyone use chlorine floaters??  Advantages/disadvantages??

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine floaters??
« on: October 19, 2005, 11:44:50 am »

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
Re: Chlorine floaters??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 11:55:22 am »
Does anyone use chlorine floaters??  Advantages/disadvantages??

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

I use one with my DICHLOR routine, all is well.  Everyone here will tell you it voids your warranty and yadayada.  It does not void my Beachcomber warranty.  I have to add some alk increase each week cause the Trichlor brings it down but no big deal.

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 12:06:19 pm »

I use one with my DICHLOR routine, all is well.  Everyone here will tell you it voids your warranty and yadayada.  It does not void my Beachcomber warranty.  I have to add some alk increase each week cause the Trichlor brings it down but no big deal.

Ray

It's still NOT a good idea.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Rayman

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 12:14:48 pm »

It's still NOT a good idea.

When it is recommended by your dealer and your manufacturer then in my opinion it is a good idea.  Explain to me why it is bad other than lowering your alc?  

tkruel

• Master LSX
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 12:40:16 pm »
This method was recommended by a dealer....& I have been reading about how it is not a good idea.  That is why I wanted to ask on this message board.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 01:04:19 pm »
This method was recommended by a dealer....& I have been reading about how it is not a good idea.  That is why I wanted to ask on this message board.

The trichlor tabs are acidic due to the stabilizers while the dichlor does not have them and is bascially neutral. I realize the dealer has ok'd this (in writing I hope) but it's still not a good idea IMO. Why not just add dichlor after each use and cover it that way? The dichlor works just as well but you have to add it manually (not exactly a chore) and the dealer is figuring he'll give the method that he knows people will be most apt to follow. The floating trichlor works for sanitizing and I guess they figure it's closest to the KISS method so they decide that is more important than it's drawbacks.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 01:25:16 pm »
I've HEARD that chlorine can be hard on the underside of covers, on pillows, etc....
That said, is it possible that leaving a chlorine floater in the spa 24/7 would aggravate this problem, assuming that it's true in the first place?

I use non chlorine Bromine in a floater so I don't have any experience with chlorine and spas.
Brewman

tkruel

• Master LSX
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 02:17:29 pm »
I have been adding the dichlor granules since I purchased the tub in May.  I have not had any problems except for the last month or so.  My water was a little cloudy & the dealer thought it was from lack of sanitizer because it is sometimes 2-3-4 nights between going into the tub. And as I have found, the chlorine level pretty much drops to nothing after 1 day.  Plus when I did go in to the tub it started feeling a little "slimy" which she said was from lack of chlorine.  So she had me go home and shock with 1/2 cup of diclor and after 7-8 hours start with the floater.  My water looks good this morning before I put the floater in.  At my next drain do you think I should switch to a bromine floater??  I am still new to the water chemistry thing & welcome all opinions.

Thanks
again

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 04:22:38 pm »
What was the PPM reading you were getting to?

It is recommended to get to at least 3 PPM to satisfy the tubs sanitizing requirements and to put that in at least every other day or after you use the tub, whichever comes first. Unless you shock the tub with chlorine, I wouldn't think the water can stay for 4 days. I personally wouldn't use the floater unless it's OK'ed by the manufacturer.

Brewman, I think even Bromine and ozone can damage the underside of the cover as well.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 08:11:29 pm »
Brewman, I think even Bromine and ozone can damage the underside of the cover as well.

Perhaps.  I know that some bromine contains chlorine as well- but the kind I use does not.
Maybe that's part of the damage?  
 And so far, knock the redwood cabinet of my spa, no apparent damage.
I've heard the same about ozone too, but don't have it.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 08:12:09 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

tkruel

• Master LSX
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 02:09:20 pm »
Bump......any more opinions?  I don't quite have a warm fuzzy feeling about the floater yet.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 02:30:23 pm »
Bump......any more opinions?  I don't quite have a warm fuzzy feeling about the floater yet.

If you just add a little more chlorine to your per use method I think you'll be fine.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 03:15:12 pm »
I use a bromine floater, like Brewman and have no problems, perfectly balanced levels, and very little worrying if I put enough granules in after the use each night.

I love the simplicity, Jacuzzi warranty isn't voided, and I realize the grave danger of my floater getting traped against the acrylic shell and burning it to hell, but will take that risk. ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 03:16:01 pm by orlandoguy »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 03:16:55 pm »
I agree with spatech.

I assume this is for your master spa.  If so, you should read your warranty.  It specifically addresses the use of trichlor...result...void warranty.

Rayman

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 03:38:25 pm »
I agree with spatech.

I assume this is for your master spa.  If so, you should read your warranty.  It specifically addresses the use of trichlor...result...void warranty.

I wouldn't buy a spa that has a warranty like that, check your warranty before buying.

Ray

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 03:38:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42