What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: A Question about Thermal Covers...  (Read 2210 times)

fletch49

A Question about Thermal Covers...
« on: October 16, 2005, 08:15:40 pm »
Hi all,

I live in a cold climate, and have thought about purchasing a thermal cover (solar bubble cover) for my spa.

I understand that it will extend the life of my cover, but will it actually improve the energy efficiency of my spa?

I talked to my dealer about getting a thermal blanket, and he didn't think it was a good idea as he said it would reduce the filtration efficiency of the spa.

Does anyone use one? What do the dealers recommend?

Thanks

Greg

Hot Tub Forum

A Question about Thermal Covers...
« on: October 16, 2005, 08:15:40 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: A Question about Thermal Covers...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 08:51:31 pm »
"I understand that it will extend the life of my cover, but will it actually improve the energy efficiency of my spa?"

In a sense yes. By reducing the rate at which the main insulating cover will absorb moisture the floating blanket reduce the speed at which the main insulating cover's insulating factor is reduced (as the cover absorbs water it insulates less).

"I talked to my dealer about getting a thermal blanket, and he didn't think it was a good idea as he said it would reduce the filtration efficiency of the spa."

The only thing it "might" reduce is the filtration of floating debris (assuming you have some type of surface skimmer).

The advantages far out weigh the dissadvantages............. IMO
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

fletch49

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 09:46:59 pm »
Hey Doc...

Perhaps I should have PM'd you on this but...I just noticed your floating thermal blanket (the insulating one). That's exactly what I'm looking for.

How do I get a quote on delivery to Ontario, Canada?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 09:48:48 pm by Spazz »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 11:32:24 pm »
I'm guessing about $10 - $15 US for the shipping.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 09:57:21 am »
fletch49,
If you get Doc's blanket, be sure to also get the Floating Blanket Leash. It's worth it and not that hard to install. You'll find it on the same page.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 10:41:30 am »
YO Bill!? Would I be out of line offering a/some free floating blanket(s) ? ? ? ? I need some pictures of the blanket leash in action.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 10:41:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42