What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking, would like to buy in the next 2 weeks  (Read 3902 times)

GoldfishGirl

Looking, would like to buy in the next 2 weeks
« on: October 13, 2005, 12:05:36 pm »
Hi - I am a new member, but have been reading and searching the postings for about a month.  In the past we have had a Jacuzzi Quantum- looking to get a new tub soon (for therapy reasons) and get it in as we use it all year round.  Our "hot tub guy" tech is certified in 6 diff. brands, but asked us to take look at the following Image tub just based on the price, and said basically the "guts" are the same, just not a name-brand.  He's not pushing us into anything, and will service anything we get.  He also likes other brands mentioned on this forum.
http://
http://www.lesliespool.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=14867&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=633&iSubCat=652&iProductID=14867

The price is worth considering with 50 jets, stereo, CD, etc. but we can afford to go higher.  I have reservations on the Image - they are sold at Home Depot and Walmart, and no one seems to have the same model numbers/names (like buying a mattress).  The insulation is "artic-lock" - per the brochure, this is a combo of high and low density foam around the shell and plumbing, strong R value, holds heat in a locked cavity, etc.

I dont want the best, but want a better than average roomy spa that will last, and very energy efficient.  Would like a lot of therapy benefit esp. for head, neck, back, and a lounge seat.  Jets help more than the heat - hydrotherapy jets vs. air injected?  There are good and bad postings on everything; dealers will tell you the all good stuff.  Is a tub that costs $8000 that much better than the link above for $6000?  Are the guts the same?  Are you paying for the name brand?  It's a costly purchase to find out you have made a mistake.  They all look good, sound good, have lots of jets, etc.  

Anyone have any recc. based on these requirement, or other advice besides wet testing and checking the form postings?  There are local dealers around here for most brands.  Thanks for your time and consideration.   ;)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 12:48:39 pm by wmccall »

Hot Tub Forum

Looking, would like to buy in the next 2 weeks
« on: October 13, 2005, 12:05:36 pm »

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
Re: Looking, would like to buy in the next 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 12:45:52 pm »
from the picture there is no floor drain, that could be a pain
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 12:53:25 pm »
It would be a stretch to call that tub a 7 person spa. It looks like a million other generic spas. From the spec side, what is a 9HP system?  Is that one 9 hp pump, or 9 1hp pumps?  :D

I'm also not a fan of air blower jets that just blow air into a tub.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 02:33:33 pm »
You said the tub is for therapy reasons.

What parts of the body are you looking to have massaged?

What I don't like about the tub you linked us to is the jet configuration. Lots of jets along the spine(at least all of the bigger ones)....so if spinal massage is what you need, that is a decent tub.

I am a believer that jet placement offset from the spine provides much better back massage.

As far as the bottom drain, well there are lots of ways to drain a tub much faster than a center gravity drain. Using gravity that trub would take 4-5 hours to drain.

A submesible pump retails for $70-100 Canadian. Using a garden hose the tub would drain in about 45-60 minutes. Using 1.5" hose, 20 minutes.

A Quick Drain http://www.backyardinnovations.com/ retails for $70 Canadian. This device would drain the tub in about 15 minutes, no electricity required.

Homeworks Financing Representative

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 02:37:53 pm »
You mentioned a lounger....and unless my computer is linking me to a different pic, i dont see a lounger.  Also, curbside delivery...will that be a problem or do you have a few freinds that will move the spa into your backyard for you?
You can always go to your local dealers and see what they can do for your threapy needs. Also, what about the warrenty? I know you said your "spa guy" is certified, but (imo) i would want to know who/how/when/why and what it covers.
Marquis dealer

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 03:46:47 pm »
Before I found this forum, I was headed in the same direction. I found a spa on WalMart's website (called a Keys-same manufacturer as Home Depot and Leslies). WalMart suggested I talk to someone directly at the manufacturer. That was the first wise thing that I did. The sales rep said that I should really try to find a model to try. She suggested that I go to Home Depot since they had  them on display. I climbed into the dry tub and realized the the seats were very deep and would not work for my short husband and me. She also told me that once I took delivery, if I wasn't happy, I would be responsible for shipping to return the tub. They will drop the tub at the end of your driveway  and you have to be sure that it is undamaged in transit and then move it to your yard. Then I found this forum and decided that it would be worth paying more to know what I was getting and to have someone responsible for safe delivery and service.
If you are still considering one of these, Walmart has a 6 person therapy tub with a lounge for $3600.
I believe it is called the 6 Person Total Hot Tub Power Package. WalMart had a free shipping bonus a while back, not sure if that is still in effect. Since you have had a hot tub before you are in a better position to evaluate if this would work for you. Home Depot claims that they have gone to this brand because they have a vast network of service technicians to deal with warranty issues and perform repairs.  
Good Luck
Support your dealer so they can support you!

GoldfishGirl

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 05:01:14 pm »
Hi - thanks for the comments today.  In regard to the previous posts, we are looking for deep seats with neck/back/head massage area.  The pumps are two dual 4.5 pumps.  I also saw Keys/Image spas at Walmart when doing a website search - their seven-person tub is called Ovation Maestro for $5298 - this one does have a lounger, but everything else sounds about the same as the Image Milestone 600 (no lounger).  Can't find any website link to just plain old Image/Keys/Weslo that gives a full overview of their spas - that's why I think they sell certain spas to certain dealers, all with different names.  I think since I don't feel comfortable, I will just keep looking and try other dealers in my area.  Sundance, Coleman, Hot Springs, Master, and others.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 05:25:24 pm »
Check out the secondary lines from the various manufacturer. I bought the Island series made by Artesian and it is a nice tub. Many other tubs are around the same price as that tub.

Coming in at $6300 (2004 price) was the Sundance Bahia, Coleman 480, Down East Windsor SE, Beachcomber 500 series and Artesian Island series.

You'll also get a dealer to talk to.

cappykat

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 09:30:18 am »
Goldfishgirl...if I was going to spend $5298 on a "so-so" tub, no name recognition, might get serviced/might not, dropped at the driveway...I'd spend more and buy from a reputable manufacturer and get a tub that I knew was going to last long-term.
Marquis, HotSprings, Sundance, Jacuzzi, all the major brands have affordable lines in the range your looking to spend.

I wouldn't buy a hot-tub I couldn't wet test.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:00:28 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 10:54:18 am »
I agree with the cat.  You'll spend mucho money on a tub with very little reputation and looks to be lacking in creative design.  If your willing to spend 5,000+, go shopping at a retail store with service, support and spa education.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 10:54:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42