What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: used vs. new  (Read 3015 times)

chaunceyboyblu

• im daddy
used vs. new
« on: October 12, 2005, 01:21:02 am »
I forgot to ask also. is it wise to concider cheaper new models rather than this jacuzzi 385? I have always bought used things and felt i got a better deal. we live in an are a where used hot tubs are not often found so i feel a bit lucky that this late model jacuzzi happend to be available from an individual. What could I expect from a 4k dollar new unit?
robert rahn
kalispel, mt

Hot Tub Forum

used vs. new
« on: October 12, 2005, 01:21:02 am »

pruned_hands

• Hot Springs Grandee Lover
Re: used vs. new
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 07:10:57 am »
Having spent the last 3 weeks looking at tubs, pouring over reviews, doing wet tests and reading forums, I can say that you don't get much for $4000...in fact, I often have felt that it was better to spend nothing or bump up to the better quality $6000 and up tubs.  If the late model jacuzzi appears in good shape and  the owner will let you soak in it to try it out, it might very well be a better deal.  Of course, if there is no warranty, you will be stuck with repairs.  Consider the Sundance Bahia-a lower priced tub ($6000-6500) with top end features (i.e. great  warranty, continuous circ. pump).  

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 08:38:59 am »
On the other hand, the used market is probably hit and miss.  My sister in law just bought a used tub and has had great luck with it so far. The price was right, the previous owner filled it up, let them west test it in his backyard, and she hired a local Spatech to move it for her, and he inspected the tub prior to doing so and found it to be in good condition and a good value.  So far she is still happy.

But with a used tub you still go through the learning curve of a new user  ;D
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 08:41:25 am »
At $4K new, you are for sure in the low end of the new price spectrum.  But do check out some of the local dealers- you never know what you might find.  
As mentioned above, Sundance makes a value line of spas (used to be Sweetwater, now just branded as a Sundance 700 or was it 750 series), Hot Springs has their value line, and so do others.  You may have to come up just a little bit more, but you'll be getting good value for your money vs buying a spa brand that is less known- more risky.  
If you do persue the used spa, and if it's being offered by a private party, try really low balling the price.  Unless there is a lot of demand for this type of thing in your area you may have some leverage to save even more.  Consider that you still need to have the spa moved- and a pro would charge a few hundred for that alone.  Plus the mentioned risk of no warranty, etc...

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 08:41:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42