What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS Filters  (Read 24656 times)

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
HS Filters
« on: September 25, 2005, 02:13:37 pm »
Apart from being able to clean them in the dishwasher, what is the advantage of the tri-x filters?  Do they filter as well or better than the standard HS filters?

I just noticed that the sq. ft for a tri-x is only 6.5.  (The standard filters (I believe) are much larger that this)  I just cleaned mine and the 4 tri x seemed realtively clean, but the one standard filter appeared pretty dirty (so I would assume it's doing a good job)  It is the circ pump filter, but I think I should have expected the tri-x filters for the jet pumps to be dirtier.

Hot Tub Forum

HS Filters
« on: September 25, 2005, 02:13:37 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: HS Filters
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 05:03:13 pm »
I just noticed that the sq. ft for a tri-x is only 6.5.  

That HAS to be a typo, no way are they 6.5!

Maybe 65 or 56.5, but not 6.5?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 05:41:44 pm »
Sixty five.

And the reason the one on the circ pump is dirtiest is because it runs 24-7. It will tend to get dirty first, which is fine. You can often just clean that one filter. To minimize this - you can run the "Clean Cycle" after each use of the tub.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 06:26:23 pm »
I also understand them to be 6.5 sq. ft. filters.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 07:11:54 pm »
I also understand them to be 6.5 sq. ft. filters.

Just by knowing filters that can't be true. A 6.5 Sq filter would be about the size of a big coffee cup, maybe. I'd go by Chas or look at their website to see what it says but it can't be 6.5.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 07:20:19 pm »
Of course Chas is correct.  From the HS website

HS Envoy - Effective Filtration Area 325 sq. ft., top loading, 100% no-bypass filtration (Tri-X®)

That's for the 5 tri-x filters.  325/5 = 65
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 07:20:44 pm by tonyp »

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 11:03:54 am »
Tri-ex filters, filter not only through surface area, but also by depth, so a filter the size of a 30sq ft is more than doubled to 65 sq ft.

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 04:01:03 pm »
This tri-x doesn't filter any better than standard filter.  HS designed only to handle larger gpm flow so they could compete with more jets and higher flow capacity with higher end units.  Grandee pumps only push 150 gpm - (5) 30 sq. ft. vs. Envoy 325 gpm - (5) 65 sq. ft.

It was a smart way to keep their 100% no bypass and still compete with higher flowing therapy system.  Tri-x wasn't meant to filter better, just handle more water.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 04:35:46 pm »
Tri-x wasn't meant to filter better, just handle more water.
It also lasts much longer, and can be tossed into the dishwasher when it's time for cleaning.

Since it allows more waterflow - and has much more surface area - I would say it filters better than a smaller, traditional filter. However, I don't think the size particle it will stop is smaller - so from that standpoint I would agree with your statement.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 04:49:20 pm »
Yes.  Other advantages would obviously be cleaning.  My point was just to highlight their primary advantage being handling capacity.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 10:02:10 pm »
let's not forget to shut the "HEAT DRY" OFF when using the dishwasher.

melted, warped, cracked  plastic can be good for filter sales.

use soap, don't put any dishes in. AND IT IS 65 sq.ft.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 10:28:35 am »
Yes.  Other advantages would obviously be cleaning.  My point was just to highlight their primary advantage being handling capacity.

Speaking of filtering "better", yes the tri-x do not (I believe) filter to smaller particles.  But that does not mean they don't filter better. Why? How?

From day 1 filters begin to degrade as particles get stuck in them.  This is one reason why people advise 1-micron filter folks to replace their filters: after a few months they are very gummed up and cleaning isn't a good option.  BUT, before the cleaning time, they have been slowly clogging with gunk. It's what filters do best.

The only way to combat that is to either allow slightly larger particles through the filter to reduce clogging and/or introduce more surface area to the filters.

Filtering by depth is, in my opinion, a pretty shady way of selling a filter.  If the surface layer is clogged the innards of the filter are just not going to have the same opportunity to filter. I had not read that the tri-x filters also filter by depth. I thought they got their surface area through that "deep" spiral design and that it was, indeed, surface area.  But, I could be wrong.

Anyhow, the real increased filtration benefit is the greatly expanded square footage. In the 3-4 months between water changes this does, in my opinion, yield noticably better filtration because the filtration will remain consistent longer, even through the particle size has not changed.

-Ed

shabba34

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 11:42:03 am »
This tri-x doesn't filter any better than standard filter.  HS designed only to handle larger gpm flow so they could compete with more jets and higher flow capacity with higher end units.  Grandee pumps only push 150 gpm - (5) 30 sq. ft. vs. Envoy 325 gpm - (5) 65 sq. ft.

It was a smart way to keep their 100% no bypass and still compete with higher flowing therapy system.  Tri-x wasn't meant to filter better, just handle more water.
The Grandee's filter sq ft is the same as the Envoy (325 sq ft, and has been for about 4 months) unless you're looking at the Classic Series Grandee w/ the smaller pumps.  

I would comfortably say that since the Tri-x filter:

(1) Clogs less frequent (Ultimately saving wear and tear on the 24 hr circ pump)
(2) Last twice as long (supposedly, it's yet to be seen)
(3) Does filter through depth and surface (hense the larger sq footage for the same size cart.)
(4) Is easier to clean (Dishwasher)

Was in fact designed to be a better filter, although the statement of handeling more gpm is correct, there are many other reasons why it was derived. ;)

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 10:16:46 am »
The five filters in my Envoy are not any more effective than the single filter was in my Caldera Geneva.  Much ado about nothing.  Really.  I am also not convinced that filtering 100% of the water 100% of the time is either necessary or worth the cost in space required to do it.  

Different way to skin a cat, yes.  Real benefits, no.

Regards,

Bill

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 10:28:04 am »
The five filters in my Envoy are not any more effective than the single filter was in my Caldera Geneva.  Much ado about nothing.  Really.  I am also not convinced that filtering 100% of the water 100% of the time is either necessary or worth the cost in space required to do it.  

Different way to skin a cat, yes.  Real benefits, no.

Regards,

Bill

I respectfully have to strongly disagree.  How on earth is one standard paper cartridge going to filter as much water as 5 high density cartridges?

This is what some people seem to misunderstand about the truly advantageous design of having 100% No-Bypass Filtration.   EVERY single drop of water is filtered BEFORE it enters the plumbing, including the pump and heater.  This prevents hair, dead skin, dirt, debris, toenails, etc. from ever entering your spa's equipment.

This is the reason why our dealership, in 21 years of selling HotSpring, has had to replace ONLY 8 jet pumps during this entire time.  The fact that our spas do not get garbage sucked into the pumps greatly extends their lifetime.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 10:28:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42