What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: tipping  (Read 17758 times)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: tipping
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 02:13:03 pm »
I tip when I go to church as well. Why tempt fate!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 02:13:03 pm »

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 02:17:42 pm »
I tip when I go to church as well. Why tempt fate!

And it will be returned tenfold!! :D
-SpaMan~

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 02:17:57 pm »
My new tub comes in  2 weeks and I was not planning on tipping the delivery people. It's a pretty straight forword install on an outside patio. No steps, no obstuctions. Big, wide open flat yard and driveway.

The dealer values the delivery at $400. The team ALWAYS uses a crane. I told them it could be driven around to the back, but they said "no."

If it turns out to be a difficult install and the guys are going above and beyond,  then I will reconsider tipping them.

These guys have already stated they wont take any of the packing material away with them and when I asked them about removal of my old small POS spa, the said $600.   :o

Um...no thanks.
07 Caldera Geneva

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
$400 for a standard delivery?
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 02:23:34 pm »
Who did you buy that spa from again? ???
-SpaMan~

IJM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2005, 02:33:55 pm »
From a different perspective, someone that has actually delivered spas. A tip is not expected. That was our job. If we did a good job, and were rewarded with a tip it made our day. We would even talk about it when we got off.

Those guys have the hardest job in the industry..I've been there. I would buy them lunch every chance I had.

I think 5-10 a person if they do a great job is a good jester...they will have smiles on their face!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 02:37:03 pm by IJM »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2005, 02:36:43 pm »
I bought the spa from New Englang Spa and Sunroom.

On the invoice they list delivery as $400.00 dollars,   but the salesperson removed it and "gave" me free delivery.

What I don't  get is the "Don't take away the packing material" and "sure we'll remove the old spa for 600.

WTF? The transfer/dump station is 20 minutes  away and charges $98  a ton..... so I guess  I'll do it myself.

Unless anyone in Central MA wants an old Nordic tub cheap?  ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 02:37:32 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

J._McD

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2005, 02:37:28 pm »

If he gave you a hefty fine/ticket for the violation, well yea, you kinda "Tipped".  You local police department thanks you.

Traffic tickets=City revenue.

;)

I consider this arbitrary and bordering a legal form of extortion.  I did not "kinda tip", it was not my choice and any fine was determined by his decision as to what the arbitrary "violation" would be for.  But, I do consider things like this to be a wake up call to be more cautious and aware of "hidden" and "lurking" traps intending to catch people at what we all do, cross the line of what is right and what is wrong.  I consider it akin to saving my life, so I can smile and focus on a good thing, instead of the "a$$h**e" that chose to be blunt, direct, ask for my license and not to give any breaks because he had the authority to do so just because he was having a "bad day".  >:(

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2005, 02:40:41 pm »

I think 5-10 a person if they do a great job is a good jester...they will have smiles on their face!

I expect all good Jesters to have smiles on thier faces! What else are Jesters for?

Tipping someone for exceptional work, Now thats a nice *GESTURE* ;)

I know, I know  my spelling is a nightmare too.  :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 02:42:23 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2005, 02:41:07 pm »
I never really thought about tipping since I know I'll be charged a delivery charge so thanks for bringing it up - now I know.  

I have no problem tipping unless the delivery is screwed up like when I moved.  These guys stood around expecting a tip but since they were 2 weeks late delivering the furniture, scratched several pieces and destroyed a dining room table, I didn't feel obligated at all.

I can definitely tell you which moving company NOT to use.

IJM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2005, 02:44:44 pm »
I bought the spa from New Englang Spa and Sunroom.

On the invoice they list delivery as $400.00 dollars,   but the salesperson removed it and "gave" me free delivery.

What I don't  get is the "Don't take away the packing material" and "sure we'll remove the old spa for 600.

WTF? The transfer/dump station is 20 minutes  away and charges $98  a ton..... so I guess  I'll do it myself.

Unless anyone in Central MA wants an old Nordic tub cheap?  ;D

I realize I'm just a salesperson not an owner, $600 I find that ludicrous!

IJM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005, 02:46:59 pm »

I expect all good Jesters to have smiles on thier faces! What else are Jesters for?

Tipping someone for exceptional work, Now thats a nice *GESTURE* ;)

I know, I know  my spelling is a nightmare too.  :)

OOPs...That was Funny!!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 02:49:36 pm by IJM »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2005, 02:51:06 pm »

I agree.  After all the truck is already there at my house, complete with crane, crew and anything needed to move the old tub.  I'd figure they'd charge me $150-$200 (which I thought was still higway robbery, but was willing to pay for the convience). But $600? Christ, do I get a kiss first?

Actually, I'll probabbly have some cash with me that day and ask the driver directly "How much to make the old tub and this packing material to disapear?"

Don't mean to threadjack. maybe we need an old tub removal thread?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 02:53:26 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2005, 02:51:22 pm »

Maybe they don't want to remove the old spas so they price themselves out of the market, unless someone really wants to pay that amount.
Brewman
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2005, 02:57:39 pm »

That price is given rather than truthfully saying "no, we don't haul away the old one". A typical charge of something like $100 is usually accepted by a homeowner who obviously doesn't want the hassle of removal. A dealer charging $600 gets VERY few takers and has simply decided not to offer this service which to me is a reflection on their willingness to help the customer after the sale. Those that charge $100 or $150 for removal don't do it for the $ as its a hassle.

220, 221, whatever it takes!

IJM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2005, 02:59:12 pm »
It's crazy on the east coast...you all have your own rules out there! Myself, I would ask nicely to include this and I'll pay the hundred for the dump charge. I know what they are charging for hot tubs out there and I can promise that wont break them!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 03:01:22 pm by IJM »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2005, 02:59:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42