What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Installing jets  (Read 13585 times)

genelong

Installing jets
« on: September 26, 2005, 04:40:48 pm »
I want to install some extra jets in my hot tub, small ones.  I have never done this before, and would like some advice on where to buy jets (I need small jets), how to install without getting leaks, and how to tie into the existing air hoses.  If there's a web page with info, that would be a great help.  Thanks.

Gene

Hot Tub Forum

Installing jets
« on: September 26, 2005, 04:40:48 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Installing jets
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 05:01:12 pm »
There's a couple Arctic guys here that could walk you through that! They do it ALL THE TIME!! ;)

All kidding aside, I would suggest you get it done by a professional.

Steve

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 05:19:06 pm »
Depending on if you have access to the underside of your spa jets could be added.  How many jets do you want to add?  What type of spa do you own?  

Goto your local service repair company.  

Michael
www.HeavenlyTimes.com

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 10:07:40 pm »
hot tub guru's got it right. find a local spa company who'll help. some will turn their nose up to you. but you'll find one who'll at least order the jets and help with the fittings you'll need.

And for god's sake don't use dwv plastic fittings!, you'll need 795 clear pvc glue for flexible pvc. good luck.----- Oh, jets seal from the BACK side.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

stabone

• Just Bring It !!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 10:27:57 pm »
  Jets seal from the backside ?????

hottub.pool_boy

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 11:22:59 pm »
jets seal to the back of the spa shell.

or do you know something i don't?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 12:51:30 am »
Not to sound redundant but...

Jets seal from the backside??!! Is that an Arctic thing? ???

nicker

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 08:21:19 am »
OK WOW you feeling lucky!.    From what I have heard this is not an easy job.   I would also think this would void your warranty 110%.  Unless this is done buy the factory or MFG that made the tub.      I would think that you would have to factor in to many things to even attempt this. If you start adding jets you are going to take away from the flow plus the lines would most likely have to be added at certain points where the tub was designed to have them added this is also taking in to the fact that your shell is designed to have the additional jets added.

I personnally think you are just asking for trouble and if this is done I would think you will just experience problems upon problems.   But if you do decide to attempt this good luck and keep us posted.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 08:07:26 pm »
jets seal to the back of the spa shell.

or do you know something i don't?

No jets do not seal from the back of the spa shell....They seal from the front with a nut on the backside to suck the jet tight against the shell.

You could not seal it from the backside with the variation in thickness from the fiberglass and it would leave a potential for water seepage . Your better surface to seal is the acrylic.

Are you part of the spa industry or are you a customer? If your part of the spa industry it might behoove you to take a ride a few times with your service techs. Anyone that is not in service should do this to understand more about the makeup of a spa.

genelong

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 08:27:42 pm »
Well, what I'm hearing is "don't try this at home."  No, I'm not a professional, just an owner - but I have a very old tub, bought second-hand, so there is no warrenty to worry about.  But I surely don't want a leaky tub.  So I'll check in with a local repair guy, and see what he charges.

Thanks for the advice.

Gene

hottub.pool_boy

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 10:40:01 am »
Stuart,
sorry my reply is delayed. I'm an owner and previously a technician.

Thank you for the suggestion. However, I think you need to take the ride. why don't you open a spa parts catalog and see for yourself.

Most jets seal at the back of the spa shell. PERIOD.

Jet manufacturers learned long ago, that orings and gaskets fail when exposed to water chemstry.

come on stu.

spazman

• Soaking in my "modified" '98 Sundance Corum!
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 02:49:55 pm »
Jet bodies seal on the back and  front of the spa shell.  On the front they usually employ an O-ring  on the back they generally use silicon sealer.
Adding jets is not for the "doitselfer". Are you willing to buy a larger pump for this "older" spa. You could spend several hundred dollars on your own trying to do this correctly. You must consider the hydrodynamics of the final product or you could compramise the performance of the jets you have now.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 03:10:33 am »
Stuart,
sorry my reply is delayed. I'm an owner and previously a technician.

Thank you for the suggestion. However, I think you need to take the ride. why don't you open a spa parts catalog and see for yourself.

Most jets seal at the back of the spa shell. PERIOD.

Jet manufacturers learned long ago, that orings and gaskets fail when exposed to water chemstry.

come on stu.

Sorry to have defecated in your wheaties hottub.pool_boy but I mistook you as a salesman or customer and would stand with that advice for all sales staff to do a ride along.

I've replaced several jets on many different brands just this year and put the oring on the tub side just like it was when I removed the jet...My-bad or what… how can I ever service another spa :-[

You can put the gasket on the outside however most techs that I talk to prefer to put it on the inside for a better seal. We use the gasket on the inside of the spa with silicone on the threads. Heck some people leave the gasket out completely and just use silicone!

The beauty of this forum is that we can open a topic on how most techs do it and get their input…

I will get in touch with Waterway tomorrow if I can and see if they have a step by step procedure to end this.

The bottom line genelong, is that you would be much better off having it done by a professional however if you handy you can do it yourself. You should also be aware that you will dramatically weaken your water pressure per jet by adding to an existing system.

BTW, I didn't really put the seals on all of those spas....I prefer to just use silicone on new jets with the flange system. ;) :P
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 03:32:02 am by stuart »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 08:31:11 am »
When we replace jets, we only use an o-ring on the front and just silicone the threads on the back.

stabone

• Just Bring It !!
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 08:45:43 pm »
   Stuart is right,  the seal is made on the front side of the jet housing,  the nut on the back is to tighten the seal on the front.  You might see silicone on the back side of a shell but it is from the threads and excess from the front...  
  Stuart, why the Arctic blast????     Arctic had nothing to do with the topic, and I was asking a question about how someone thinks jets seal from the backside!!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 08:51:01 pm by stabone »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 08:45:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42