What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coleman Spas  (Read 3987 times)

rfraboni

Coleman Spas
« on: September 23, 2005, 02:00:10 pm »
If you read my last thread you will notice that I am having problems finding a spa.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the quality and efficiency of the Coleman spa line.  I have talked a few people today who have done business with the local dealer and would like to look further at the coleman line since I do not have the 10k+ for the grandee.

Any information you can give will be appreciated, I am looking at the 480 model with ozone, and stereo (stereo is not a big deal it is just what they have in stock)

Hot Tub Forum

Coleman Spas
« on: September 23, 2005, 02:00:10 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Coleman Spas
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 03:45:39 pm »
Former Coleman salesman here. Solid product. Post any specific questions or PM me.

I say "former" because I moved due to family reasons and found that me and local dealer were not compatible, despite the fact I liked the product.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 03:50:19 pm »
I have the Coleman 461 and it is the most greatest spa! I have had it 3 months and have had no problems with it nor with my dealer. It's a solid tub. Very quiet..never had a problem with it.

rick

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 06:47:42 pm »
See my review on Coleman 480 in the Reviews area.  
Yes, solid tub.  
I've been very happy with mine now for a year and a half.
Quietest spa in town.  

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 08:19:36 pm »
I've been selling Coleman spas for almost 12 years in North Dakota. The winters up here can be long and  severe, Coleman makes a fine spa that is very efficent.

I'd be happy to help you with any questions you may have.

Spahappy

waggie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 05:26:55 pm »
If you look at my post from just a couple weeks ago (I think it's called "And the winner is Hot Spring Grandee") I talk about wet testing two of the Coleman models.  

I would have been happy with the 471, which soup to nuts for everything was "only" going to cost us I think around $7,400.  At 5'3, it fit me great with no float problem.   My husband is twice the size of me and it just didn't work as well for him.  It also gave a somewhat lesser massage than did the Grandee and Optima we wet tested.  Although if I understood correctly, Coleman's philosophy is you shouldn't get such a rigorous massage as some company's models give you.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong in saying that.  

We liked Coleman's overall philosophy as well as the quality of the materials used.  It also made sense about the "no foam" as far as easily locating leaks.  And the steel construction.  But I guess there are different schools of thought on that.

Bottom line is we had to choose something that we were both happy with, and I have to say the Grandee won by default.   We much preferred the Coleman's price tag, however.  Who wouldn't?  

What also impressed us was that the Coleman dealer's primary focus was hot tubs and they didn't sell a whole lot more than that in the shop.  Of all the places we wet tested, we felt we'd get the best service there.  Too bad it didn't work out since we'd have liked to have done business with that dealer.  

Long story short, if I were you I'd give Coleman a serious look.   But please don't buy anything unless you can wet test it!   It's the only way to know for sure what is going to work well for YOU.  

Best of luck!

rfraboni

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 11:02:13 am »
Thank you for the information.  I had read your posts and actually went back to the store and did a dry test and it was enough to tell me the Coleman was not the spa for me.  I could not use two of the corner seats due to the positioning of the neck collars and jets.  They hit me in the middle of the back, I am 6'2 with a long torso.

I am going to have to find a Grandee to test.  Dry it feels good, was able to sit in one at a home show.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 12:51:14 pm »
 I could not use two of the corner seats due to the positioning of the neck collars and jets.  They hit me in the middle of the back, I am 6'2 with a long torso.

This was one of the few negatives selling Colemnan. The Comfort Collar was a dynamite feature, provided you fit.

sunnydee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 12:53:56 pm »
I'm curious. When you are talking about Coleman Spas is that the same as Elite Spas? Somewhere along the line I thought I read that Elite was synonomous with Coleman. ???

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 12:55:20 pm »
I never used the comfort collar with the jets on in mine as they hit me right in the jugular veign. It wasnt that comfortable. BTW I owned a Coleman 455 several years back before the steel frame and when the foam was actually covering the plumbing some 5". I enjoyed it though. :D

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 01:02:00 pm »
I'm curious. When you are talking about Coleman Spas is that the same as Elite Spas? Somewhere along the line I thought I read that Elite was synonomous with Coleman. ???

Same manufacturer (MAAX). Similair. Different factories(Coleman, Chandler AZ, Elite Beamsville Ontario). Different approach to customer (dealer) service.

I have worked in stores that sell both, albeit only two months at the Elite/Coleman dealer.

The Coleman has some advantages over the Elite:
Floor - The Coleman bottom is an ABS pan that runs up  the side 5 inches. Elite uses a Galvalume bottom.
Neck Massage - Coleman uses the Comfort Collar
Controls - Coleman uses Balboa M-7. No mechanical pressure switches
Fit & Finish - More comfortable molds. More curve appeal.

rfraboni

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 08:18:08 pm »
I was very impressed with what I saw on the Coleman spas but have found it improbable for me to consider due to the comfort collars.  For clarification that is a feature I am not fond of on units that I am able to fit under.

Unfortunately it is not even close enough to say, " if a slouch, I can consider this spa."  

At the price point of the spa I liked the features it is offering and it looked to fit closely into what I was looking for, large open spa.

It appears that if I am able to get a spa it will most likely be Hotspring, only quality brand from a local dealer, that I have found.  Either that, or I can look at using a longer distance dealer and get a marquis, which I also like.

waggie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 09:59:05 pm »
I know what you mean about the comfort collar not fitting you right.  I didn't have that problem with the Coleman, but I had a big problem with the Optima's headrests cutting into my shoulders.  Too bad, as I think it is a nice hot tub.  It was also the prettiest tub, but then that's secondary.

For sure the Grandee's price tag is kinda steep, and we had not intended to spend that much.  However, you get what you pay for, and if you are already spending thousands of dollars, what's another couple thou at that point?   At least, that's how we finally looked at it.   We bought a pontoon boat a few years ago and spent a bit more than we maybe should have, but it turned out to be well worth it.  

The Grandee was really comfortable and so easy to move around.   I think the controls were also the easiest of the others we wet tested.    

Good luck with your decision and be sure to let us know what you decide.   I'll be curious to see what you wind up with in the end.

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 11:16:22 pm »
It's too bad you can't find a Dimension1 dealer in driving range.  I think you would be all over the Nautilus.  Very open seating and very deep.  When we were shopping, I thought excluding the Diplomat, their designs were geared toward the taller person.  Price quote on a Nautilus was $8K, probably more what you are looking for as opposed to the Grandee.  Hope you find one that fits.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 11:16:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42