What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can't deliver spas...No concrete!  (Read 3102 times)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Can't deliver spas...No concrete!
« on: September 27, 2005, 11:16:13 am »
Anyone else having a problem getting spas delivered right now with concrete shortages? I have about $500,000 worth of sales all waiting for someone else to get something done!!

Hot Tub Forum

Can't deliver spas...No concrete!
« on: September 27, 2005, 11:16:13 am »

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Can't deliver spas...No concrete!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 11:19:01 am »
No problems here Stuart want me to see if my guys can help?

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 12:05:21 pm »
For me, it was getting someone to do a smaller job, not a shortage of concrete.  Concrete guys don't want to pour small pads or patios.  We're doing about 170 sq ft and we either ran into ridiculous bids (as a way to not get the job) or just plain high minimums.  I didn't commit to buy until I had electric and concrete secured.  

Judging from the numbers, you must have 60-80 spas in limbo.  Are those ordered spas or people like me who will order once they get prep work at least secured?  At one point, I was close to just giving up on the idea on getting a spa because getting concrete secured was becoming too big of a pain.  I lucked out.  Hopefully your customers will hang in there.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 12:13:25 pm »
No problems here Stuart want me to see if my guys can help?
Maybe, I’ll let you know….
For me, it was getting someone to do a smaller job, not a shortage of concrete.  Concrete guys don't want to pour small pads or patios.  We're doing about 170 sq ft and we either ran into ridiculous bids (as a way to not get the job) or just plain high minimums.  I didn't commit to buy until I had electric and concrete secured.  
That can be a problem, over the years we have always had a little guy to take the small jobs and as we helped them grow their business they seem to outgrow the ability to do work for us. Currently however, we have a great relationship with a company but they are still way behind. We are in a very rapid growth area and builders are taking the brunt of the materials.

Judging from the numbers, you must have 60-80 spas in limbo.  Are those ordered spas or people like me who will order once they get prep work at least secured?  At one point, I was close to just giving up on the idea on getting a spa because getting concrete secured was becoming too big of a pain.  I lucked out.  Hopefully your customers will hang in there.

We can have 60-80 spas in limbo at any given time…

Most customers are fine with us, frustrated with contractors and not in half as big of a hurry as we are. I usually have 50 to 70 spas in stock at a time.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 01:47:42 pm »
how about the two-piece spa pad?
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

leisure

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 01:52:46 pm »
Tell the customers to go to a Home Depot and buy some patio blocks to put the tub on. Then when the concrete comes just add that to the patio blocks. We had to do that Here in Nevada this year because of the conrete. Customers said it looked good depending on what they choose as a block. ;D

stabone

• Just Bring It !!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 06:50:30 pm »
  If you have that much concrete work, why wouldn't you get someone on staff that can finish concrete?  Where are you Stuart that you can't get concrete, I have not heard of this.   If I had 500,000 in tubs waiting for someone to pour a pad, I would be hauling my ass out there with a mixer and bags.

stressed-out-teach

• Vanguard '05-
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 09:52:16 pm »
When we were ready for concrete here in Tulsa, no concrete company would deliver unless you had an "existing account".  It seems there is enough building going on that they don't have time to deliver to the small jobs, unless it is to keep an existing customer!!

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 11:53:00 pm »
The concrete shortages are still around???  We had problems getting our concrete pad as there were 'shortages' and that was last summer.  I'm surprised it's still a problem.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 12:04:28 am »
The concrete shortages are still around???  We had problems getting our concrete pad as there were 'shortages' and that was last summer.  I'm surprised it's still a problem.

The shortage is of people to do smaller jobs.  I haven't heard of a concrete shortage.  You really have to find someone doing it on the side that doesn't want the bigger jobs.  The ready-mix companies have plenty of concrete, at least here.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 12:07:13 am »
Last year when we were trying to find someone we called around for weeks and everyone was saying there was a shortage due to increased demand in China or something.  We happened to find someone who had stocked up and was able to do our job.  Who knows what the real story was though.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 09:52:07 am »
We had to go under the table with a concrete guy.  I'm sure what they brought us was left over from another job for our little 10x10x4 pad.  This guy did this all the time for our former dealer.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 09:52:50 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 09:52:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42