What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gazebo or Screened Room  (Read 10868 times)

cappykat

Gazebo or Screened Room
« on: September 18, 2005, 03:37:27 pm »
We may have a change in our plans.  We were planning to do a screened room but it seems to be getting complicated with permit requirements, roof requirements, etc.

Can we put our Epic on a wood or wood composite deck and are there special considerations when constructing a deck?  Those of you who have done decks have you had to get a permit or had an artchitect sign off on the drawings?

HELP....
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

Gazebo or Screened Room
« on: September 18, 2005, 03:37:27 pm »

tootall

Re: Gazebo or Screened Room
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 05:05:43 pm »
O tay! If your going to put your Epic on a deck make sure it will support 400 gal of H2o and me thinks.... ok right here in the spec's the epic weighs 4603 pounds full.  So add people weight to that as well. Just put it on a slab then build a gabzeebo around it simple safe and no need for a permit.

cappykat

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 05:48:14 pm »
Thanks, tootall...I hear what you're saying.  After talking to several people today now we're leaning towards an aluminum screen room.  I'm going to call for some estimates and we may forget hubby doing the work.

It may not asthetically look as nice as the room we had planned, but it might be much easier than all the hassle of doing it ourselves.

2005 Marquis Epic

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 08:30:04 pm »
cappykat,

I put my tub on it's own deck and the tub's lip sits about 23" above the main deck.

I built an 8'x8' deck for the tub and built it for 150 PSF. It sits fairly low to the ground and I used 6 - 12" concrete piers 36" down (frost line), used 6"x6" lumber for the upright supports and all 2"x10" lumber for the beams and joists and used 16" centers on the joists. I used A LOT of metal hangers and bolts to keep everything secure and rigid.

I went to a lumber yard and they designed the deck project and gave me their computer print out on the load analysis. It passed the township and it's been an ongoing project!

I was going to put the tub in the screen room I am building but the screen room became too enormous and would cover too many windows so we have it outside. So far I do like it where I'm not enclosed.

It does become a chore building the screen room as we have to put hard wired smoke detectors in the house but for sanity reasons when being outside, the screen house is a great way to go. Maybe look at the ones that can be taken down vs a permanent one.

If your interested here's a link to pictures I took during the first phase of construction:

http://photos.yahoo.com/vinnynj57

Not much different at this point except I did partially construct the screen room where the blue tarp is.

The main deck is constructed of TimberTech, Tongue and Grove decking, I wouldn't have sat the tub on it as it has ridges on the bottom I would be afraid they might have gotten crushed by the weight. The tub sits on 2"x6" PT lumber.

If you have any questions. let me know!

Vinny

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 08:39:43 pm »
vinny's right. Any spa we've delivered to a new sunroon, don't care if it's a three seater, client says, wow, looks bigger here than in your showroom.

His spa is placed where we like to see it. chair-height entry. easy to get in and out, not taking up room on the existing deck, etc, etc.

keep it close to the backdoor, try it with no roof first. stars are nice! how about a spa mount? Sequoiaworks?
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 09:40:17 pm »
Just came in from a soak under a full moon - WOW!!!!

I agree, put it outside first!

Actually I built my deck around my tub - The screened area is 14'x16' and the open deck is 14'x20'. My wife wishes we could have gone a little bigger on the open deck but I'm sure once the screen room is finished NOBODY will be on the open deck.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 09:44:11 pm by Vinny »

cappykat

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 11:07:23 am »
Vinny...looked at the pictures, very nice.  Next question, how much to build your deck, when you have it "sunk" like that on the deck, how do you have access to it for any problems?
2005 Marquis Epic

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 09:44:45 pm »
The pumps are about 8-10" below the deck and I took off all the screws on the bottom of the spa to be able to remove all the panels.

I believe that the pumps are easily accessible at that depth. I was going to put a trap door in but IMO it wasn't needed.

I guess I'll be using a crane when the tub dies and I buy a new one in 15 - 20 years!!!! Or the new owners will worry about it!

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 11:29:34 pm »
Here is what our spa sits on. The deck was built around it and the floor of the deck sits about half way up the height of the sa.

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 11:33:53 pm »
Sorry for the blurry picture. Here is a picture showing the framing of the deck along with the spa sitting on its base. This just gives you an idea if you decide to go the deck route. Good luck with your project!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 06:51:23 am »
Vinny...looked at the pictures, very nice.  Next question, how much to build your deck, when you have it "sunk" like that on the deck, how do you have access to it for any problems?

Sorry, I never answered the cost part - It cost about $9,000 for the build the main and tub deck. With me and a friend doing the work. That includes the railing. Timbertech happens to be one of the most expensive composites out there but we went with it because of the screen house - we're trying to make it as bug free as possible!

cappykat

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 12:18:22 pm »
I really like your deck and Payton's deck but I don't think we can get the size we want for our budget.  We're looking to spend about $8000 but we want some protection from the weather for the tub and for ourselves.

If we can get the drawings done and signed off without spending another $1000, we will probably go with our original design (see picture)

We've got some aluminum screen companies coming out tomorrow (Wed) and we've got a landscaper doing a design for pavers and a possible gazebo.  I guess once we get all that we'll make a decision.

Thanks for the pictures and your input.
2005 Marquis Epic

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 05:11:16 pm »
I think no matter what you choose you will be happy. The only think I would caution you on is to first keep the spa outside and see how you like it. If you build a seperate room and enclose it, you will never know what it feels like to have a spa outside. I have had both and there is no question, I like it outside much better than in an enclosed room. Just my opinion but I think you should at least try it outside before you make a decision. Good luck!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
-Re: Gazebo or Screened Room
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 07:45:12 pm »
My advice to you for the aluminum screen room is to buy an insulated roof - it 's not too loud when the rain hits it.

I paid about $7,000 for an unbuilt 14'x16' screen room and got 2 estimates- $3000 more from the place I bought it from to install it and $13,000 for a local place to do it from scratch - I elected to do it myself to save money and it was A BIG MISTAKE. I really should have paid the extra $3000 for them to install but who knew!

cappykat

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 10:39:49 am »
$13,000 for a screened room??!!  I think we will put it outside under the stars.  We're looking a 3 options so once we get pricing on all, I guess we'll be able to decide.

Thanks, Vinny & Payton for your input, I really appreciate it!! ;D ;D
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 10:39:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42