What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Paid Too Much?  (Read 14137 times)

ramdom

• Hydropool 625er.
Paid Too Much?
« on: September 10, 2005, 05:18:33 am »
I did lots of homework (if you can call lurking on Forum Boards actual research) and here I sit waiting for delivery and preparing a new crib for our first hot tub.

I started out looking cheap - saw a RotoSpa for about 4K - just to get in the game. Then a scam feeling from Gulf Coast Spas at some dirty, shady warehouse for 6.3K with a salesperson who was vague, evasive and totally unknowledgable. Saw the Arctic Spa Fox starting at 6900 (14 jets, 1 pump and experienced the controversial, cheerleader reps). I was convinced of the AS Yukon for an offering of 9100 (always on special) for a few days until I read a few posts by a chap who said it was too small and he was my same size. On a dry test, the chairs made me feel restricted and the design seemed to have too many weird obstacles.

Next we go into Hydropool and check it out. Hmm. 6-7 people, two pumps 3+4 HP, barrier free, 44 stainless steel jets (3 primary hydrotherapy seats, a swivel seat, etc. etc.) on their Anniversary 625 model, 4 deluxe LED lights, ice bucket (right!), same skirting quality as AS, 2 Waterfalls inside the pillows, textured and self cleaning well w/ cooldown seats, GFI 60 Amp box, Deluxe cover w/ Piston lifter, matching cedar steps, 2 Solar garden lights outside the tub at entry point, towel rack, premium upgraded 5 year parts + labour warranty on everything, lifetime on shell, ozonator, blah blah blah.

So we nailed it down at getting the 625 in the upgraded Anniversary edition w/ additional promo features thrown in. The tub was 10,500 (the anniversary is apparently even less than the Platinum, their one down model) plus tax of GST of 7% in Canada and an additional 8% PST only on the GFI for a grand total of $11,450. No haggling, no comparison back @ Arctic Spa to match it who initially impressed me for all the usual and unusual reasons. The fellow who sold me the tub also services them and installs pools and worked at AS for 6 years and we spent 3 hours with our gals just talking and telling stories. Oh, and in the Black Pearl marble colour which is so lush and decadent looking... this model here: http://www.hydropoolhottubs.com/625.html

I see some folks talking in the 5-7K range but over that price point, one doesn't hear too much. It's very exciting waiting for that first soak but I wonder how it all got so expensive and i haven't even got an electrician or laid sone dust and patio pads yet. Is this too much to pay for a tub or is it all relative?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 06:10:32 pm by wmccall »

Hot Tub Forum

Paid Too Much?
« on: September 10, 2005, 05:18:33 am »

bob5820

• Artesian Piper Glen
Re: Paid Too Much?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 08:26:40 am »
... I wonder how it all got so expensive and i haven't even got an electrician or laid sone dust and patio pads yet. Is this too much to pay for a tub or is it all relative?

I know how you feel. In my original plan I figured about 5k for the HT and another 4 or 5k to expand my deck. This quickly grew to 10K for the HT and the deck is now at 15K. Going over budget like this makes me feel like I should work for NASA  ;D.

I paid $10,750.00 after taxes for my Artesian Piper Glen. This included delivery, a cover, and chemicals, but no steps, no radio, no pretty lights. I did not haggle over the price either. Compared to the price I got on  some other tubs, Caldera Niagara, and a HS Grandee, the price on the Piper Glen did not seem out of line. Compared the the prices I have seen others post on this and other forums that they paid for a Piper Glen, I got taken for 1 or 2k. The conclusion that I have drawn from all of this is that  pricing varies widely from area to area, which only makes sense. Cost of living can vary widely, so why hot the cost of luxury items.

As to going over budget, I don't think that this is all that uncommon. Many of us are first time buyers who come into this with no real idea of exactly what we want or how much it will cost. As we look we learn that even though we can get a tub for 4k, the 8k tub offers some very real advantages. Once we have taken a step over that line its not all that hard to justify 10 or 12k on a tub. I look at it like this, I'd rather pay 10k for a tub now, then pay 5k for now, realize its not what I really had in mind and want to upgrade in a couple of years

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 08:34:33 am »
You have to remember that there are a number of factors - Canadian consumers seem to pay more than American's - I guess it's the exchange rate. Prices have (are) going up due to petroleum. Where you live in relationship to the factory. Local competition - what are other brand name tubs going for?

If you like the tub, are OK with the dealer and can afford the purchase, go for it. When you read the prices on-line, don't think that it's written in stone - too many factors involved! I paid about $1000 more for a tub in NJ then someone in Utah but I got a good price for the tub!

There are a couple Hydropool people here and hopefully they will chime in.

Good luck!!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 09:16:20 am »
Thats a good price.

Remember most posters here are American so the prices they are quoted will be 20% less at least.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 05:01:48 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 10:22:02 am »
Welcome to the Hydropool family ramdom and you have done very well with your pricing and upgrades.

The 25th Anniversary model is unbeatable value and you are 100% right that it's priced less than the model below it right now! It's the best selling spa for Hydropool worldwide this year and it's going in my back yard as well right away. :D

Enjoy your great tub and keep us posted on how everything goes for you.

Steve

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 10:49:55 am »
Random.... Congratulations .....my only concern for you is that I am not so sure I would want the same spa in my backyard as the "man" .....who has this "spidey" character dancing around like some drunken ballerina on long weekend in west Hollywood .....I might reconsider that roto spa again ..........lol.....just teasing .....sounds like a great spa enjoy it .......and I hope this Steve guy  ;)at leasts gets a different color ....... :D

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 10:52:40 am »
You have to remember that there are a number of factors - Canadian consumers seem to pay more than American's - I guess it's the exchange rate.
Good luck!!

This seems to be a common confusion on message boards. Americans currency is the dollar (the US dollar), Canadian currency is also the dollar, BUT the CANADIAN dollar.

By todays rate, 1 US dollar = 1.18 CAD dollar, meaning ramdom paid an equivalent of $9,733.08 US dollars for the spa.

In Australia it would have cost you $12,591........ Australia Dollars

Be happy your not in Hong Kong, where that spa would run 75,436 dollars (Honk Kong dollars that is).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 11:02:28 am »
Random.... Congratulations .....my only concern for you is that I am not so sure I would want the same spa in my backyard as the "man" .....who has this "spidey" character dancing around like some drunken ballerina on long weekend in west Hollywood .....I might reconsider that roto spa again ..........lol.....just teasing .....sounds like a great spa enjoy it .......and I hope this Steve guy  ;)at leasts gets a different color ....... :D

LMAO! ;D

First off...you just dissed Spidey and God will get you for that. ;D Seconldy, mine is coming in [size=18] HOT PINK [/size] thanks for asking!!
;D

Steve

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 11:05:50 am »

Thats mean! Don't pick on Steve for his new home show hook routine! After all he's not doing it at the Master Shows!!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 11:17:04 am »
Honestly guys...you should see the crowds I draw!
(not to mention my wife LOVES it!) :P

Oh, it's a tangled web we weave.... :D

Steve

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 05:57:24 pm »
Congratulations!

May you always have clean, hot, bubbly water in that Hydropool!!!

Steve, I liked your dance!  I tried to recreate it, but it wasn't the same without the spidey outfit!!!  ;)
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 06:13:57 pm »
I can't speak to the cost, but from having been around here awhile, I'd say you got a good value.  I like the looks of the tub.  Our local Masterspa dealer just added the Hydropool line and if I was in the market again, I would look at this one. I like the layout and the open seeing design.  Looks like a comfortable tub.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ramdom

• Hydropool 625er.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 05:20:45 pm »
Between the exchange rate, the features list and taxes all in i guess i feel much better. {now i've just got to relax until the baby is installed which could be 3-5 weeks...arrgghh, forever!}

How do people feel about their Hydropools and all they offer? any problems or does that require a different thread?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 06:30:25 pm »
Trying to be as unbiased as possible here..
I would put Hydropool in the same class as any better known product out there for quality, support, therapy and comfort.

Where I strongly believe they surpass many is in their double thermal lock heat recovery system and in their 6 stage Self Clean system. The 2 biggest aspects of ownership after the love affair with your lights and other  features that may have caught your eye during the "courting time", is low maintenance and energy efficiency. These are the 2 primary elements that Hydropool focuses on and that's why our customers who research spas find these to be a huge benefit in the long term aspect of ownership.

Not only that, most of our customers are engineers and other smart kinda people! ;) :D

Steve

salesdvl

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 07:43:41 pm »
Not only that, most of our customers are engineers...

Steve

... and they ride up & down the tracks all day saying "chooo  chooo"   :)
Measure once, cut twice.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 07:43:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42