What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why Do I Have Green Tinted Water?  (Read 16356 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Why Do I Have Green Tinted Water?
« on: July 20, 2005, 10:11:21 pm »
I'm posting this on couple of forums, so forgive me if you see this somewhere else!

I HAD to do a water change due to good water turning bad after a party, water was about a month old. As per Chas, it's good for a newbie to do it anyway and the water does act differently with new water in it (no Alka Seltzer bubbles).

But my water has a green tint to it. It had it on the first fill and the dealer attributed it to the factory's testing of the tub using green tinted water and possibly the polishing compound they used. But On my second fill, I still have green water.

It's like that out of the tap, My pool has a blue liner so I guess it hides it but my tub is white and you do notice it. My dealer tested the water for iron and said that's not it, but the dealer doesn't seem to be too up on water chemistry IMO.

I have used the Natural Chemistry Metal Free (they make the Spa Perfect product) and it didn't do anything and since my dealer said I had no metals in my water, I stopped using it.

Maybe I'm being picky as now that people are posting pictures of their tubs I do see people with "tinted" water, I just thought the water would be colorless! Maybe it's normal.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Vinny

Hot Tub Forum

Why Do I Have Green Tinted Water?
« on: July 20, 2005, 10:11:21 pm »

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
Re: Why Do I Have Green Tinted Water?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 08:58:20 am »
Why do we [/b] have green-tinted water?

Didn't want you to be feel all alone there Vinny...   :)

I've asked this question in the past without much success. Where abouts do you live by chance?

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 09:05:55 am »

I know where all the cool St Patricks Day parties are going to be.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 09:57:42 am »
Hi Guys:

This is a problem I've read about a few times over the last year on this forum. It can be caused by a number of things including metals suspended in the water or persistent algae.

I'd suggest two approaches. First, try the metal removing stuff (there are several brands) and see if this helps. If the water is immediately green when you fill the tub, this may be the problem.

Second, if this doesn’t work, "super shock" your tub. Use a triple dose of dichlor based shock, I mean like half a cup of the stuff. Circulate the tub for about 30 minutes and then let it sit for another 30. Then use 4-6 caps of a polymer clarifying agent and run the tub for another 30 minutes. If foam begins to form on the surface, set the diverter valves so that most foam goes into the filter trap. Continue to let the tub run.

Eventually, you should see a "scum" line form in the filter trap. If this stuff has a "green tint" to it, SOMETHING is suspended in the water. If not, I don't know what to tell you.

This worked successfully for someone I recommended it to awhile back on this forum.

Anyway, if the "green tint" is driving you crazy, try it if you'd like....

Good Luck!

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 10:16:01 am »
Hi Drewski - thanks for your input. On my end, the water coming out of the tap has a greenish-hue. Obviously, something like you say, is suspended, be it algae or whatever in the water. We have had insane amounts of rainfall here this spring/summer. Our city water comes from a single 'lake' location. Do you think it is possible that this has disrupted the normal ecosystem from excessive run-off etc to make a difference at our end?

The water coming out of the tap tests good alk and ph but I cannot test for anything else with my strips. When I did a water change last fall, I did not get this problem at all.

I also know that many of the near-by lakes (including my beloved Lake of the Woods) are experiencing unprecedented algae blooms. I wonder if this is it?

Jc

Jc

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 10:55:07 am »
Hi Drewski - thanks for your input. On my end, the water coming out of the tap has a greenish-hue. Obviously, something like you say, is suspended, be it algae or whatever in the water. We have had insane amounts of rainfall here this spring/summer. Our city water comes from a single 'lake' location. Do you think it is possible that this has disrupted the normal ecosystem from excessive run-off etc to make a difference at our end?

Jc

Same here! Water out of the tap is greenish! JC, I'm in NJ.

I don't think it's algea for me, I put in 2 teaspoons of chlorine in the morning and still had about 1.5 PPM at 6 PM last night. Algea would have eaten the chlorine up, in my pool experience.

I guess it'll remain a mystery ... either that or I'll dump a tone of metal sequestering agent in the tub.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 12:39:10 pm »
The metal removing products do not actually remove the metal.  
Metals like iron and copper that are in the water are saturated in the water.  Because of this, a regular filter cannot get it out.  When ozone, or chlorine, or MPS get added to the water (or water supply) then that will oxidize the metals out of solution.  At this point, the metals can start to be filtered out of the water.

You can get a clarifying product like Super Blue to coagulate the minerals together and bring them to the surface.  When that happens, you can scoop the foam and metals out of the water.  

The other option is to get an inline filter (like a water softener but for iron, copper, and manganese) that attaches to your garden hose.  The only issue with these filters is that the water comes out so slowly, it takes up to 12 hours to fill the spa.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 01:24:33 pm »
The metal removing products do not actually remove the metal.  
Metals like iron and copper that are in the water are saturated in the water.  Because of this, a regular filter cannot get it out.  When ozone, or chlorine, or MPS get added to the water (or water supply) then that will oxidize the metals out of solution.  At this point, the metals can start to be filtered out of the water.

You can get a clarifying product like Super Blue to coagulate the minerals together and bring them to the surface.  When that happens, you can scoop the foam and metals out of the water.  

The other option is to get an inline filter (like a water softener but for iron, copper, and manganese) that attaches to your garden hose.  The only issue with these filters is that the water comes out so slowly, it takes up to 12 hours to fill the spa.

I was wondering why the Metal Free wasn't working on removing the color. My dealer used a drop type test for metals but only mentioned iron.

So if I add a clarifier which I probably will do on Sunday morning (party on Sat) it may take the tint out!

If not, I can live with it. I thought it was strange to have tinted water out of the tap.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 01:29:33 pm by Vinny »

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 01:50:33 pm »
First things first.  Call your water utility and ask them why your water is green.  Once you know what you are dealing with it will be easier to come up with a treatment to get rid of it.  Don't take any shuck and jive from them either, green is green and you are looking at the water that they are selling to you.  

Do you drink this stuff too?  Sheesh.

Regards,

Bill

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 01:51:03 pm »
Get rid of your green shell...I have a blue shell and my water always looks blue.... ;D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 01:58:53 pm »
First things first.  Call your water utility and ask them why your water is green.  Once you know what you are dealing with it will be easier to come up with a treatment to get rid of it.  Don't take any shuck and jive from them either, green is green and you are looking at the water that they are selling to you.  

Do you drink this stuff too?  Sheesh.

Regards,

Bill

Water looks clear in a glass!

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 02:36:33 pm »
Do you drink this stuff too?

Actually, no. I haven't for years. We purchase four 18.9L jugs at a time for our house. After drinking that water, you just can't go back to the tap.

As for calling the water company - good idea. I was just hoping that this problem was more common than it seems and that someone may have had an experience with it.

Otherwise, I'm just going to have to paint my shell a different colour.  ;)

Right Perk?

Jc

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 04:24:33 pm »
The Toxic Avenger comes from NJ, so maybe that's it!   Actually  I have been wondering why my water has turned greenish and was wondering if it has anything to do with the high humidity in the summer.

salesdvl

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 05:45:40 pm »
Vinny, If you have green water,  You are doing something wrong.
Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.   ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 09:01:14 pm »
Vinny, If you have green water,  You are doing something wrong.
Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.   ;D

Ya know, the next time the circus comes to the Chicago area, I hope the caravan of elephants make a pit stop on your lawn!!! :o ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 09:01:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42