What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Nature 2 and MPS  (Read 9992 times)

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
Nature 2 and MPS
« on: September 08, 2005, 04:43:49 pm »
Decided it was better off in a new thread.

I sent Nature 2 tech support an e-mail and they are suggest to use MPS with the Nature 2 cartridge and Dichlor only occasionally.  Here is what they suggest for my 400 gallon tub.

Start up:
2 Teaspoons Dichlor

Daily after use:
1.5 Tablespoon MPS

Weekly:
4.5 Tablespoons MPS
Stain and Scale Inhibitor

What do the pro's think?

Hot Tub Forum

Nature 2 and MPS
« on: September 08, 2005, 04:43:49 pm »

Gair

Re: Nature 2 and MPS
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 04:59:00 pm »
I stay away from MPS and just use Dichlor with the Nature II.  Read about to many problems with MPS on the boards.  Go here and read Vermounters' style or Northmans' style they both us Nature II with out MPS.  
http://www.rhtubs.com/bbs/FAQ.htm
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 04:38:04 pm by Gair »

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:03:10 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I searched the site and did not find anyone complaining about MPS.  Could not find Vermounters or Northmans' style.  Found one on rhtubs web site and they are using MPS.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 07:20:31 pm »
I think Northman uses MPS but Vermonter does not.

As was in the other thread and as per the above people - use enough dichlor to get a 2-3 PPM residue after 15 min  based on your use and shock with enough dichlor to get 7 to 10 times your combined chlorine reading.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 08:54:05 am »
I stay away from MPS and just use Dichlor with the Nature II.  Read about to many problems with MPS on the boards.  Go here and read Vermounters' style or Northmans' style they both us Nature II with out MPS.  

I'm not quite sure I understand the "many problems with MPS" statement.  Maybe a few individuals have problems with MPS allergic reactions but I think they are in the vast minority.....I'm sure the same is true with bromine, dichlor or any other substance that may be introduced into the tub.  I just don't see any other problems.....as a matter of fact, I see many advantages including being able to soak shortly after an MPS shock and utilizing unbuffered MPS's inherent 3-4 pH to bring down tub pH if necessary thereby providing shock and balance.  This is much better to me than using dry acid or muriatic acid.  That said, I also use MPS when my pH is spot on....I just buffer it myself with a litte soda ash.  But there are also times when shocking with dichlor is clearly preferable.....like when leaving on vacation.  This gives the tub a good superchlorination and shock at the same time.  I also choose to shock with dichlor if I know I won't be using the spa within the next 24 hrs.  Otherwise, MPS is an excellent shock.  I have used it as my primary shock and have not experienced TDS buildup that caused early water changes even though it does contribute to TDS more than dichlor.  Shock with 3-4 tblsp of MPS, run the pumps and leave the cover off for 30 min., then jump in and soak.....once a week should take care of it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 03:32:11 pm by windsurfdog »
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 09:25:05 am »
So you are recommending a weekly shock with Dichloro and a daily (after use) application of MPS.

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 10:15:30 am »
Since I use my tub every evening, I use Ozone, Nature 2, Dichlor after use (2 tsp give me 3 ppm), and shock with MPS whenever my nose tells me I need to (about every 2 weeks).  If there is an occasion where I know I will not be able to use the tub for a day, I use that opportunity to "super-sanitize" by shocking with Dichlor, but I do it more for the sanitization than the shock.

Soakin

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 10:57:19 am »
Marks, didn't you start off these posts wanting to eliminate MPS because you thought it might be the cause of your wife's rash?  Several people tried to help you develop a dichlor routine that made sense and now you are proposing to use as much as 15 TBS  of MPS a week, plus the soda ash or baking soda needed to keep your pH up? ???
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 05:43:16 pm by Soakin »

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 11:44:06 am »
Yes I did want to eliminate MPS and I agree this is a lot of MPS.  The only reason I asked is that I had sent the Nature 2 Tech support people an e-mail and they responded with the suggested MPS routine.

I appreciate everyone trying to help me out.  Unfortunately even with all the help I was unable to come to a consensus.  I have decided that I am over analyzing this and am going to use:

Nature 2
Dichloro (after use and once a week as a shock)
Stain and Scale inhibitor (once a week).  

If this does not work I will drain the tub and try something else.  I have been wanting to buy a sump pump at Home Depot anyway.

Soakin

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 11:57:50 am »
I think that's the way to go.  However given the problems you had with rashes, if I were you... I'd go back to Tubsandcues advice in an earlier thread, drain and disinfect the tub and start over with clean, balanced water.  I don't know how long you've had the tub, but "Chas' law" and the "water is the cheapest chemical you can use" ideas would seem to apply here.

BTW, you really don't need a sump pump unless you want one.  The spa drain or a siphon hose will work just fine.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 12:44:18 pm »
Soakin,

You are right, that I don't need a sump pump, but my wife does not know that.  

I am going to drain the tub and start over on Saturday like suggested and use the routine above.

windsurfdog

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 03:30:25 pm »
WSD, not to pick nits :), but I assume you meant MPS if you are getting in 30 min after a 3-4 TBS dose.

Yeah, I goofed that one up.....I did mean MPS....my bad
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

windsurfdog

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 03:36:18 pm »
So you are recommending a weekly shock with Dichloro and a daily (after use) application of MPS.

No, my mistake with the post was misleading (and has been corrected).  After soaking I add 2-3 tsp. of dichlor (depending on bather load) and I shock once a week with 3-4 tblsp of MPS.  Other times I may choose to shock with dichlor.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 03:56:27 pm »
I use 2 Tablespoons MPS before each use.

Weekly:
3 Tablespoons DiChlor
Stain and Scale Inhibitor

this was the recommendation of my dealer and is also one of the methods that HS suggests.

One full year now and no water problems except for high Ph due to very hard water.  Even with the high alkalinity and calcium hardness, the water is crystal clear.

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 06:20:51 pm »
A MPS free routine like you described will work fine.  Thats what I used for the first month.  The only problem was it took at least a day, and sometimes two, for the free chlorine level to drop below 3ppm after shocking, which is my personal maximum for going in the tub.  The 10 days to 2 weeks MPS shock uses a minimum of MPS, and you can use the tub the next day no problem.

If you are really allergic to MPS, this won't work.  If you are just a little sensitive to it, it might.

I hate to skip a night in the tub!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 06:20:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42