What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The blood, the sweat and tears with my new Optima!  (Read 8065 times)

alwaysperky

• Hail the flashlight king!
Re: The blood, the sweat and tears with my new Opt
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 10:57:48 am »
Minnesota is correct.

What a BUZZ kill!

I'll keep you posted.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 10:57:48 am »

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 10:58:27 am »
The black goo would have me concerned!! good luck!!

hymbaw

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 11:20:37 am »
You mentioned that you wired it at 60 amps. Well, the Optima comes from the factory set up for 50 amps. Check with your dealer to see if he switched the jumpers in the tub so it would accept 60 amps.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2005, 11:27:26 am »
Wow perky, I would have been balistic .

Discolored jets?

Black residue from the jets?

Dirt?

Cracked base?

The cracked base has me concerned. Could this affect the structuacl integrity of the tub?  If it was cracked because of being dropped or hit with a forklift or something, perhaps there is other damage? (loosened plumbiung? Hair line cracks? Loose motor mounts etc? ? ? )

I'd insist on a new tub, this sounds like it has been kicked around.

Nothing like that new tub smell.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

alwaysperky

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2005, 11:41:41 am »
Everyone involved knew about the 60 amps and the delivery guys made sure to tell my wife they adjusted it for 60.

In speaking with my wife who watched the delivery, she mentioned that it looked like when they were taking it off the truck it slipped and it missed their cart, hitting the ground. I asked what side it was and she described the same side that is broken. My guess is that's when it broke.  Even my 9 year old reported in " it sounds like those guys are having problems out there." If that's the case, they damaged it durring delivery, I'd expect them to let me know the busted it and arrange to fix it verses trying to conceal it.

To this point I feel like I'm dealing with people without much integrity.  From sales, to service, to delivery.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 12:06:46 pm »
Yes, it does sound like you are entitled to a new tub, and that the delivery people screwed up.  Were they from the same company?  Some dealers, including my own back in 2003 contract out deliveries.  In our case they did a terrible job and destroyed the cover.  Our dealer made it right and fired that delivery company and hired his own.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 02:36:22 pm »
You mentioned that you wired it at 60 amps. Well, the Optima comes from the factory set up for 50 amps. Check with your dealer to see if he switched the jumpers in the tub so it would accept 60 amps.

The tub doens't accept the amps so much as draw them due to the pumps and heater all running at the same time.  
Current is pulled from the electrical load, not so much pushed from the source.
The jumper just keeps the heater off if both pumps are running at high speed, essentially.  

STRICTYL HYPOTHETICALLY, someone with 50 amp service could have the jumper moved to the 60 amp setting, and the tub would allow both pumps on high and the heater to all run together.  Weather or not this would cause the breaker to trip is another story.

I've heard annecdotal information that it's possible.  I'd not do it, but someone somewhere at sometime probably has.
Brewman
Brewman

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005, 02:56:48 pm »
Hi Alwaysperky:

Man, what a load of CRAP!

Most states give you three (3) days to back out of a contract for more than $500 from the time you receive merchandise. Your sales contract is this contract.

I'd suggest that you IMMEDIATELY draft a letter to the dealer documenting the problems with the tub and close the letter by stating that you expect the dealer to remove the tub from your property within 24 hours and that you want a full refund.

If you paid by credit or debit card, get the card company on the phone and explain the situation to them as well. They may also offer good advice.

Deliver the letter to the dealer's place of business and take a witness with you. Attempt to get someone there to sign for the letter in the presence of your witness. Make certain you record the date and time you delivered the letter. If they attempt to refuse it, leave it on the counter and immediately walk out.

The "one week" until an appointment might be a stalling tactic to get past the 3 day requirement.

The dealer may try to "fix" things with you while you're there, or by telephone. I'd suggest you get everything in writing, signed by the dealer if you plan on doing this. He should also put firm dates and times on what he promises.

Also, I'd suggest checking your state's "lemon" and "consumer protection" laws about what you received. They should be selling you a "new" product, unless the contract you signed specifically states a "floor model" may be substituted. If you need additional help, most cities and counties have a local magistrate who will listen to your problem and, if needed, issue a warrant on your behalf if the magistrate feels the dealer broke any laws. This can sometimes VERY quickly resolve your issue.

I'd suggest QUICK action here, timing is ESSENTIAL!

Good Luck!

Drewski

:-/  
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2005, 05:56:31 pm »
Alwaysperky its time change your name po'dcustomer.  You must force action witht his dealer now.  Start documenting everything from delivery to setup now while it is still fresh in your mind.  Then if you get no satisfaction from the dealer call the tub manafacturer and explain in detail to them all the concerns you have.  Leth the manafacturer handle it withteir customer.  Also get a hold of the Better Business Bureau and report the dealer now.  These types of scums need to know that customer service is #1,,,period.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2005, 06:04:13 pm »
Hi Alwaysperky:

Most states give you three (3) days to back out of a contract for more than $500 from the time you receive merchandise. Your sales contract is this contract.

The "one week" until an appointment might be a stalling tactic to get past the 3 day requirement

Good Luck!

Drewski

:-/  

I think it is a shame this happened to you and it raises many questions, for me I  wonder if it is a new spa. But the 3 day rules applies to contracts that were signed in your home, to help rid you of people like a thermo spa sale man who will not leave and all deals are only good for the moment they are there, that is what the law was designed to protect people from. But it does not apply to contracts that you walked in to a place of business and where you can of course come and go as you please.

Phil

• Icefish daily, Hot Tub afterwards!
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2005, 06:31:21 pm »
Does the dealer specialize in spas?  

Or do they sell alot of furniture/mattresses and the related?

My guess is they are in it for the sale only, and do not really care about the state of the industry in general.

If my guess is correct, this isn't the first time this has happened, they actually delivered into my area once, minutes later the customer came to me to buy chemicals for their "great deal"!

alwaysperky

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2005, 06:50:20 pm »
They do sell a lot of other stuff.  My impression was two fold, they were reputable and that Sundance would only use someone who could deliver satified customers.

I wanted to thank you all for the support and advice.  It's been just about 24 hours since all this stuff happened.  

I received a message from the Sales Guy tonight,          a f t e r  I called the service area twice and asking them to contact  the sales director, the sales guy stated he was working things through channels and he asked for my patience while he discovered my options.

I left him a message and indicated I'd wait until 12 noon tomorrow.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 07:32:12 pm »
Alwaysperky,

Where do you live and what dealership sold you the spa?  Maybe you can prevent someone on the board from buying at the same store....
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

alwaysperky

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2005, 09:24:36 pm »
Hey Gooboman,

I see where you're going with this and trust me I'll be very specific if I do not get taken care of.

So wait just a bit longer. I'll be sure to make full disclosure regardless of the outcome.

I'm hopeful they'll make it right.  I'm just concerned that their "make it right" will be less than my expectations.

One other thing I'm contemplating. If it takes them 8 days to make a service call, what happens to my spa next winter if it stops working?

J._McD

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2005, 09:52:58 pm »
Personally, I think my original post gave you some good advice.  Additional posts thereafter have you preparing for combat that I don't think is really necessary.  

Boy oh boy, and they talk about me having in attitude.  

You can see how easy it is for some of us to blow up a good relationship with a poor customer attitude.  For goodness sakes people, let's get somebody on the frikken phone to understand the the situation that we are dealing with.

Did you speak with the dealer or should I say the owner?  If that didn't work, call the number I gave you and don't follow other well meaning but misguided advice. ::)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2005, 09:52:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42