What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to tell if ozone works?  (Read 3352 times)

Hubjeep

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
How to tell if ozone works?
« on: September 05, 2005, 11:24:05 pm »
Any idea how to tell if the Ozone generator works in a Vita Spa Elan tub?

The black ozone box in the tub says something to the effect of "look for a blue glow".  Where should this glow be?  In the tube coming out of the top of it?  ???

According to the guy at the pool/spa store, if it works there will be no need for bromine, only Fresh and Clear.

Thanks,
John  8)

Hot Tub Forum

How to tell if ozone works?
« on: September 05, 2005, 11:24:05 pm »

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
Re: How to tell if ozone works?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 09:38:26 am »
I can't tell you anything about Vita Spas, but I can tell you that you should NOT rely solely on an ozonator for sanitizer.  It is meant to augment a chemical sanitizer, not replace it.  You will still need to use either bromine or dichlor.  Read your owner's manual and I am sure it will confirm what I am saying.  

Regards,

Bill

Soakin

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 10:39:50 am »
I agree with Bill regarding a primary sanitizer.  What is in the "Fresh and Clear"?  As far as the blue glow, ask your dealer for clarification, but I'm guessing it means near the the generator.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 12:27:11 pm »
I agree with Bill regarding a primary sanitizer.  What is in the "Fresh and Clear"?  As far as the blue glow, ask your dealer for clarification, but I'm guessing it means near the the generator.

There is a little window that should show the "glow". Very difficult to see in daylight.
Homeworks Financing Representative

tootsie

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 12:30:05 pm »
rhtubs.com  has a Lamotte Ozone test kit, is anybody familar with this (does it work or is there a better way to test if ozone is working)?

also, I have an ozonator and was told bromine was needed, but you can keep it at a lower level than an un-ozonated tub.

Hubjeep

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 04:54:08 pm »

Soakin

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 05:15:45 pm »
It appears that your Fresh and Clear is a buffered MPS with a clarifier.  It has no sanitizing effect, only oxidation.   The features page of the link you provided recommends using it with a primary sanitizer.  I would suggest a search here and a visit to rhtubs.com for more info on sanitation (for your dealer, too ;)). While you are there, take a look at the FAQ for the Vermonter routine, if you decide to use dichlor.  

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 09:26:05 am »
rhtubs.com  has a Lamotte Ozone test kit, is anybody familar with this (does it work or is there a better way to test if ozone is working)?

also, I have an ozonator and was told bromine was needed, but you can keep it at a lower level than an un-ozonated tub.

I dont see how you could test for ozone in the water. It lasts less than 30 seconds in the water.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 09:35:44 am »
I assume there are bubbles comming into the tub? That would be my first check point.

IS this a CD ozinator or a UV ozinaor? I have a CD ozinator and cannot see a blue glow from it. I can however, if (cue Elmer Fudd voice) very very quiet  and have the front panel off, I can hear a crackle sound  from the unit.  ( At least I think I remember hearing the sparking from the CD unit).

I've heard from UV ozinaotr owners they can see the blue glow from the UV light.

A related note:

It's been said before , and I'm hoping some one here can answer it once and for all:

An ozinator doens't replace the sanitizer.

However, I've read many folks say they keep thier levels lower because of Ozinator, While others have said they keep thier levels the same, but  need less sanitizer to do so.

Which is it? I belived it to be the latter, however, This is my first tub with Dichlor and an ozinaotr, so I don't know if I'm using less Dichlor than without and ozinator.

Should I be keeping my CHl levels lower?  Or just maintain them according to the test strip and be happy in the belief that it's taking less chlorine to maintain this level?  ???
07 Caldera Geneva

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 09:56:14 am »
Does Ozone have any odor??....... I have ozone in my tub and I think I can smell somethigh when the cover is removed for the first 30-40 seconds.?.?.?.?

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 10:12:22 am »
Does Ozone have any odor??....... I have ozone in my tub and I think I can smell somethigh when the cover is removed for the first 30-40 seconds.?.?.?.?

Yes is has an odour. I have heard it described as electrical or similair to the smell after lightening.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 10:12:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42