What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Proud New Cal Spa Owner (pics)/Chemical Question  (Read 5761 times)

Faith2k1

• Cal Spa Mommy!
Proud New Cal Spa Owner (pics)/Chemical Question
« on: September 02, 2005, 10:00:54 am »
I have been browsing this forum for the past month while awaiting delivery of our  CA51 Atlantic Cal Spa.  My husband’s 5 year anniversary present to us!  It arrived early this week and we LOVE IT!  

I know Calspas do not have the best reputaion on this forum but I am very please with our dealer Atlantic Billiards bars and spas in VA and it did prove to be the best decision for us.  They are great and were so helpful.  We even called service the second day because we thought two of the jets were not working.  He was there in 30 minutes and it turned out we just didn’t have them turned on! LOL!

Here are some pictures of our 60 jet 6-7 person new tub and some of the additional features we got that make such a difference are the top and bottom LED lights, CD stereo that is satellite ready, the waterfall and the volcano!  We just could not find another brand with such cool features for the price we got.  

Here is my chemical question…
Should we stick with buying our chemicals from our calspa dealer-they are right down the street, or have any of you found a place online to get them for a better deal?   Where do you get your chemicals from?   Also can you share approximately how much you spend on chemicals each month?  We use the bromine tablets so I don’t know if that is more or less cost effective.  

Thanks so much!  
;)
Monique

Hot Tub Forum

Proud New Cal Spa Owner (pics)/Chemical Question
« on: September 02, 2005, 10:00:54 am »

cappykat

Re: Proud New Cal Spa Owner (pics)/Chemical Questi
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 10:12:31 am »
Monique, thanks for sharing the pics.  We all have to chose based on the features we want, budget, etc.

I hope you'll enjoy your spa for years to come!
2005 Marquis Epic

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 10:58:16 am »
Congrats and enjoy.

You may be able to save $$ on chems by getting them elsewhere but I would stick with the dealer for now so you can build some experience on how to care for it and utilize their expertise.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

TMJ

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 11:05:06 am »
Congrats, awesome pics, looks very inviting.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 11:43:12 am »
By buying your chemicals from your dealer, you're establishing a business relationship as hopefully a valued customer, one who maybe get's a little extra attention- like priority service, or other little things.
Especially if this is a local shop.  

My dealer is a big multi franchised shop that really doesn't know me from Adam (my son) so I use another local dealer, small shop, they know me by name.  Plus they're closer and a little cheaper.  
Brewman

bob5820

• Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 03:57:48 pm »
Congrats on the new spa, good to hear something nice about CalSpas for a change. I guess it just proves that the experience with the dealer goes along way with the satisfaction you feel about your hot tub. How about some day pictures of the tub. The pictures you posted while nice, kind of show off the LED lighting more then the spa. To be honest I'm not a big fan of the colored water look any way, I'd much rather see the jets going full bore ( maybe cause I'm color blind?). But like cappycat said, we all have our own likes and dislikes as far as features.

TubsAndCues

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 05:43:06 pm »
By buying your chemicals from your dealer, you're establishing a business relationship as hopefully a valued customer, one who maybe get's a little extra attention- like priority service, or other little things.

My dealer is a big multi franchised shop that really doesn't know me from Adam (my son) so I use another local dealer, small shop, they know me by name.  Plus they're closer and a little cheaper.  

Just curious, Brewman, why you bought your tub from the big box store vs. the local shop.  I work for a local dealer, and I care for a number of customer's chemical needs, but they didn't buy their tub from us.  Many times it's because they didn't find us until after they had purchased their tub.

As far as Faith's chemical question, the bonus to doing business with your dealer is at least while your tub is under warranty, if they know you're taking care of your water, they are more likely to make any warranty claims simple and fast.  Poor water balance can void many warranties, and while I'm not familiar with what CalSpa offers, it doesn't hurt to play it safe when taking care of an investment such as a hot tub.

Congrats on finding the tub that suited you best!!!  :D

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 06:41:17 pm »
I didn't buy from a big box store, I bought from the local Sundance dealer, but they are a really large store that sells a lot more than just spas.  And they have branches all over the place.  So many items and employees, and a central location for service.  So they don't really get to know you too well.  Always somone different working when we go in for filters and stuff.  Nice people, really responsive when I did need their advice, but big.
I don't regret the Optima at all, though.  
Brewman

Faith2k1

• Cal Spa Mommy!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 10:52:22 pm »

Great advice Brewman and everyone else.  My husband went to our Calspa dealer today and you were right!  They cut us a great deal on chemicals and gave us a filter for FREE!  We have established a good relationship with them while awaiting the tub.  I do want to give them more of my business.   :)

Bob5820-LOL, I guess there were a lot of LED lighting pictures!  Didn't mean to do that.  I am girly and into pretty lights-which my 1 year old babies LOVES btw...though he does not get in the hot tub.  ;)  

I will take some more pictures in the day with the jets  and such soon to share.  I took those on the first night we had it and was just so excited to get in that I wasn't really thinking about what kind of shots I was taking!  LOL!  Sorry about that.  

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 11:03:23 am »
Faith,

May you always have hot, clean, bubbly water!  Enjoy Spatopia with its many colors!  I thought your pictures were beautiful, of course, I'm girly too!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 01:17:32 pm »
Faith, Congrats on your new Cal Spa! Happy soaking! and if you ever need anything give me  a shout!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
-SpaMan~

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2005, 09:47:27 am »
Welcome to spatopia. May you soak long and prosper!

I see a floating feeder in your spa - are you using bromine? If so, be aware that Dichlor (chlorine) is less expensive, works amazingly well and is MUCH easier on your cover.

Have fun!

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 01:25:17 pm »
Congratulations on the new spa.  I'm sure you are going to love it!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005, 05:09:15 pm »
This is the model he bought, dry.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

TubsAndCues

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2005, 09:22:37 am »
Welcome to spatopia. May you soak long and prosper!

I see a floating feeder in your spa - are you using bromine? If so, be aware that Dichlor (chlorine) is less expensive, works amazingly well and is MUCH easier on your cover.

Have fun!

;)

Dichlor will work in spas, but be careful.  The hot water will cause the chlorine to dissipate faster than bromine.  Not only that, as pH rises (which is common in all hot tubs if the Total Alkalinity is maintained), the effectiveness of your chlorine is lessened.  Bromine on the other hand is still effective with a higher pH.

As far as the cover, we haven't seen any difference in either when both are used properly.  The biggest difference is not maintaining too high of a sanitizer level, and ALWAYS leave your cover off for at least 1/2 hour every time you shock.  This is by and far the biggest cause of cover degradation.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2005, 09:22:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42