What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Iron filter  (Read 2712 times)

scottfly

Iron filter
« on: September 03, 2005, 05:11:30 pm »
I have read that you are not supposed to fill your tub with soften water. I have also have a inline iron filter. Would this be allright to use if I bypassed the water softener. I have iron in my water and I would hope to be able to use this so I would not have to deal with a whole bunch of iron in the tub water.

Thanks
Scottfly

Hot Tub Forum

Iron filter
« on: September 03, 2005, 05:11:30 pm »

TubsAndCues

Re: Iron filter
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 05:37:59 pm »
You can use softened water when filling your tub, but there are a few concerns with doing so.  Primarily, the problems are from removing all or most of the calcium from the water and increasing TDS (Total Dissolved Solids).  

The danger to this is that increasing TDS may mean that you have to drain and refill more often.  Simply put, your water becomes saturated with chemicals, and water balance is harder to control.  

Calcium is an easier fix, because once you add more to your water, you should be fine on it for quite some time.  With out enough calcium in your water, it actually becomes aggressive, searching out some other kind of 'metal' for it to feel stable.  Think of it like your body, if you don't have enough calcium in your body, your body will remove it from your bones (like osteoperosis).  If your tub doesn't have enough calcium, your water will begin to attack your tub, such as PVC, the shell, pump heater, etc. trying to fill this void with polymers and metals.  

The best thing to do is before you fill with either water is take a sample of both to a reputable dealer who is well trained in water chemistry.  I recommend BioGuard dealers, but that is because that is who we use and who I received this info from.

One other possibility is using half soft and half well water.  The owner of my company does so, and his water is almost perfect by using this mixture.  

Let me know if I can help in any other way.  Good luck and good tubbing!

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 07:50:30 am »
I have a water softener and followed the instructions that came with the tub.  After adding the startup chemicals  the only thing I had to adjust was the PH after the initial fill.

Owner's Manual states:
NOTE: Never fill with water from a water softener. If your water is extremely hard, it is preferable to fill half-way with hard water and the rest of the way with softened water. Or, you may fill entirely with hard water if you use a special water additive available from your Sundance dealer.

scottfly

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 03:21:21 pm »
Thanks for the quick post.  I will be fillling the spa up tomarrow.  First spa so a little worried on filling it up with well water.  I usually have the pool water brought in.  The guy closed up his buisiness he would haul in 400 gallons.  The only other company that does it sells it in 5 or 6000 gallons at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 03:21:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42