What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot springs & Caldera Base and frame  (Read 13002 times)

Debra

Hot springs & Caldera Base and frame
« on: August 27, 2005, 11:50:57 am »
We are now looking at Hot Springs and Caldera and wondering if anyone knows what their base and supports are made of.  I've looked through all of their literature and can find no info. about this. The Hot Springs dealer said their tubs have no wood in them, just galvanized steel.  Is this so?  And what about the Caldera?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot springs & Caldera Base and frame
« on: August 27, 2005, 11:50:57 am »

Chris_H

Re: Hot springs & Caldera Base and frame
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 12:28:46 pm »
The Hotspring dealer was incorrect.  Hotspring have a wooden frame.  They do not have a metal frame.  As far as I am aware, the Caldera uses a wooden frame too.  

Who was your dealer because it is pretty well known that Hotspring doesn't use a metal frame?

autoplay

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 01:20:00 pm »
2003 Caldera Geneva Utopia here.  Wood structural.

WET-TEST   :o

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 01:26:31 pm »
Are you sure that's what they said? ???

If so, they are either not too bright or they are lying to you.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 07:34:03 pm »
I believe you'll find they have pressure treated lumber.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 01:13:19 pm »
I used to own a Caldera Geneva Utopia, now have a HotSpring Envoy.  Both have wood frames.  The HS is pressure treated and sealed on the bottom, the Caldera may or may not be pressure treated, but it is not sealed.  By sealing I mean the entire bottom is a solid construction of wood framing and foam insulation.  There are no opennings or areas where pests could get into it.  

You should know, however, that this factor is not important in my opinion.  Both spas are very well built and will last for many years given a proper foundation and normal care.  

Regards,

Bill

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 01:32:31 pm »
You might want to check to see if the Hot Springs is sealed!  The last HS I saw was just insulation on the bottom of the spa (no actual floor).  However this might have changed (I haven't found any evidance on there web site of a floor.)

If you want a spa with a very strong floor that can be set right on the grass (without voiding the warranty) Check  http://goarctic.com/index.php?dest=main&lang=en&option=show_content&show=41&theme=

Michael
www.HeavnelyTimes.com

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 01:42:36 pm »
I saw a Hot Spring spa bottom a short time ago. It has a very hard coating on the bottom that'll work just fine.

Arctic, Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, Caldera, etc. all have their own way of doing it. I wouldn't worry too much as long as the spa has made arrangements to keep the critters out.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 02:12:14 pm »
Ok I'm chiming in here too..I do know that the Coleman line has a steel frame.

Debra

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 02:40:58 pm »
Yes, it does and we were impressed with that.  Someone else on this forum thought that the Coleman wasn't deep enough for them.  What do you find? We did like the Coleman but haven't yet wet tested them.  Are they generally a little cheaper than Hot Springs?

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 02:47:56 pm »
Yes, it does and we were impressed with that.  Someone else on this forum thought that the Coleman wasn't deep enough for them.  What do you find? We did like the Coleman but haven't yet wet tested them.  Are they generally a little cheaper than Hot Springs?

Debra;

I have the Coleman 461 and the last 2 months have been HEAVEN I love it! I've discovered that hubby is liking it too! The jets work exactly where I need them to (I have a chronic back pain that the tub seems to help out with a bit) and it's just as quiet as all the rest IMO. The depth of the 461 isn't to bad, I'm not fond of the lounger and think my next one will not have the lounger with it. Price wise it was about the same as the HS Jetsetter, the Bullfrog 331 and the Caldera Kuai. I got my Coleman for 5700.00 that was with delivery, setup, chems. If I were you depending on what your looking for in a spa, wet test the 470 or the 471 they have much deeper chairs and loungers.

Hope this helped..let me know what you decide and how your wet test goes.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 10:47:43 am »
There is some implication in some of this thread that a steel frame is superior to a one made of wood.  While there are trade-offs, speaking as an engineer, I can assure you that steel frames are in no way superior to ones made of wood.  This assumes that both are properly designed and properly assembled.  

Regards,

Bill

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 11:14:54 am »
HotSpring Portable Spas have had pressure treated wood for the 20 years I have worked with them. They also have a sealed bottom: they foam in the spas upside down, and when they are done with the various stages of insulation - they use up to five different types/densities of foam - they pour on a thin layer of 60# foam. This foam does not 'foam up' or expand like the rest, it contains virtually no air, hardens more slowly and it is as hard as a rock.

It keeps the critters out pretty well, and I can personally vouch for the fact that it is also impervious to forklifts!

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Debra

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 12:38:15 pm »
Thank you Chas,  that was the kind of info. I was looking for.  

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 02:18:54 pm »
All things being equal, a protected base makes sense doesn't it?  Why would a manufacturer put synthetic siding with a wood base.  It would be like putting up a synthetic fence..except for the bottoms.  Let me point out that the base is more important than the frame.  The frame will usually outlast ownership whether it's wood or metal.  That's why you never see any warranty specifically mentioning interior frame structure..because it's unneccesary.  Unless you're using metal as a marketing tool only. (Coleman/Master)  My advice is buy the spa for comfort, therapy, maintenance, filtration, energy and warranty.  Don't worry too much about frame.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 02:18:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42