What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Composite deck  (Read 3650 times)

bob5820

• Artesian Piper Glen
Composite deck
« on: August 28, 2005, 05:22:59 pm »
A big part of my hot tub project is going to be expanding my deck. The builder and I are going over several ideas, and have the basic shape and dimensions down. The big decision now is what material to go with. Originally I was just going to use pressure treated lumber, as that is what is on my current deck. The deck is about a year and a half old, has not been treated,  and is already starting to lift and crack. Mainly the top of the railings, as these are pretty thin. Now I'm playing with the idea of going with a composite deck. One of the big attractions with the composite, is not having to treat the deck every year or so, just give it a good power wash. I wouldn't even mind treating the deck it self, but the idea of treating all those balusters, is not something I'd look forward to. So anyway, now that I'm leaning twords the composite, I'd like to bounce a few ideas off of every one. We are looking at using Weyerhaesuser ChoiceDek. I'm leaning twords the Sandstone for the the decking. The choice I have to make then is;

a) also do the railings in Sandstone
b) use Sandstone for the deck, and Redwood for the railings.
c) use Sandstone for the deck, and the railings except for the balusters, and do the balusters in Redwood.

I've looked at several of the galleries on the decking web pages and have seen many examples of doing the entire deck in one color or doing the deck in one color and the railings in another. But I have not seen any one do just the balusters in another color. I have seen some decks that achieve this look using black metal balusters, and while I like the look its not exactly what I'm after. What I like about options b and c are that they add some contrast to the deck. I am also having a pergola, some benches and planters, made. These will be from pressure treated wood and if I go with b or c I will most likely stain these in redwood. The tub, an Artesian Piper Glen has the Country Taupe Permawood cabinet. I like option c at this point as it gets me the contrast without over doing it. My main concern with c is that I can't find any examples of any one having done it this way before. I should mention that I'm somewhat color blind and have made some pretty bad judgment calls on this kind of thing in the past. The other option would be to use the Woodtone in place of the Redwood. This might actually be a better match with the Taupe on the Piper Glen, but the woodtone has kind of a dead look to it. At least thats the impression I get looking at the sample. It's hard to tell by the samples. I had originally considered using the Redwood for the decking itself and not as an accent. My builder took me to see a composite Redwood deck at a home he is doing some work on. Its another brand, he didn't know which, but I didn't like it, just way too much red. I know this has been a long post, but its Sunday, and I've had way too much coffee. Actually I've enjoying this forum, and have seen some very good feed back on other posts. For those that care to check out the colors I'm talking about.
http://www.choicedek.com

edit: fixed URL
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 05:24:06 pm by bob5820 »

Hot Tub Forum

Composite deck
« on: August 28, 2005, 05:22:59 pm »

PaulMc

• 2005 Sundance Majesta and lovin' it.
Re: Composite deck
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 07:47:25 pm »
  Can't comment on colour choices... I often end up with two different colour socks and even a brown and a black shoe once.

Just thought I'd mention making sure you have access to the controls if your tub is not sitting in top of the deck but rather sunken in. That was why I used pressure treated rather than composite so that I could unscrew the deck boards and the sections should I ever need to. It's more work to do that with composite.   paul
Owner, Sundance Majesta , July '05, Ontario Canada

SuziQ

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 11:40:35 pm »
We decided to do our new deck in EON decking.  I saw it at the Builder's Trade Show in Worcester MA last year and thought it was the most realistic looking of the composites.  We'll be using the redwood color for the decking, railings, and the fascia boards.   We decided we liked the Coastal Gray cabinet with the sand interior, if we buy a HS spa, because we wanted there to be a contrast between the tub and the decking.  Then we decided that we might like the privacy fencing to be in the gray as well, so I think that's what we're going to do.  

nomios_slc

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 07:59:32 pm »
I checked out the ChoiceDek product at a local Lowe's store. It was ok, but I have decided on building my new deck with Evergrain decking by Epoch. It looks great, and has a deep grain that will not wear off.

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 08:37:29 pm »
The builder that did my composite deck used "Boardwalk" decking and then I had black metal railings (aluminum) installed.  So I basically have a maintenance free deck.  Will post pictures tomorrow.

r100rs

Gair

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 08:41:04 pm »
Make sure to  check of the load rating and span of the composite decking.  Some are not as strong as wood and will need to have the joist closer for a shorter span. Some will not stand up to the high load of a spa at all.  My two boys work for a Contracter and they have built alot of decks for and with the Spa and Pool dealers around the area.

k9smith

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 01:22:22 am »
I just built a deck with composite materials. I used weather best and then used severe weather railing. I was happy with the way it turned out. I have a concrete pad off of the deck for the hot tub. I will post a better picture whenI get one. Sorry so big
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 01:23:10 am by k9smith »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 06:55:43 pm »
That deck is beautiful.  I am so jealous!  A spa with an Everwood cabinet would sure look nice sitting on it! ;)

Terminator
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 06:56:34 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 06:55:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42