What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Green water, enzymes, and huge foam  (Read 6408 times)

joking103

• It's too cold!
Green water, enzymes, and huge foam
« on: August 24, 2005, 09:26:31 am »
Hi everybody!  So I have some problems...  Really for the first time.  Foam has been a little issue, but I bought some new foam down, I was so excited "self floccing"??  Alright I guess I didn't really know what that meant, It sits on top of the water even when the jets are off, and it really doesn't downt he foam, YUCKY!   Also adding once a week, just for good measure spa enzymes(just from reading here).   I bought the dirty duck to soak up the oil and gunk.  I shock once a week ( and degrease the filter), dichlor before we get in.  The foam got freakin huge!  I started scooping it out with a net, got most of it, but now the water is green and cloudy.  

Ph was a tiny bit low so I bumped it up Avail. and total chlorine were low so I shocked and added fresh dichlor.  Should this clear the water?  

What is up with the flippin foam, it is unerving...  not so relaxing.

Yes, of course I want to change the water and start over, but it has only been a little over a month so hubby's like what $$$?

Besides we're having big labor day party, I told him were draining right after that, for sure the foam will then be from beer, and I'll need to check for beer bottle caps in the filter ;)  Sorry I digress.  I would like to not have to drain it till after that.  

Hot Tub Forum

Green water, enzymes, and huge foam
« on: August 24, 2005, 09:26:31 am »

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
Re: Green water, enzymes, and huge foam
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 10:53:28 am »
Hi Joking,

I'm no expert, but a couple of things might have caused the foam....

bathing suits with detergent still on them, shampoo residue. .....quite honestly, I have a "hot tub" bathing suit, that is the one I use almost all the time in the tub, and when it does get washed, double rinse it.

With regards to the green water, I've had that in the past as well.  Definitely sanitizer can be a reason for that, but check your ph and alk as well.  If you can bring a sample in to a dealer, do that, as they have more sophisticated test equipment than you or I.  

Also, with waiting for water to clear up, keep that sanitizer on the high side, but definitely wait a couple of days before you decide to drain.....spay off the filters as well.  Actually, that's all I do with the filters, and it's worked fine for me (for a few years now)

Good luck,

Mark

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 12:30:55 pm »
Thanks, I will.  

I wonder if the degreaser will cause foam if not rinsed out enough??

Soakin

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 02:57:47 pm »
Chas and a few others here will tell you that new water is the cheapest chemical you can use.  It takes a few dollars to heat it back up, but the actual water cost is negligible.  Who wants to show off their new tub at a party and have green water in it?  I agree with Mark, give the sanitizer (in fact, I'd try a "super sanitaion" -- get the dichlor up to 7-10ppm) a couple of days to work, but if it doesn't clear up, I'd drain and refill.

Regarding the foam, you could try a couple of doses of clarifier, followed by an hour of filtration, and rinsing the filters.  Defoamer is like a band-aid, it may cover the problem, but you still need to identify and treat the source.  You mentioned degreaser, that could well be a source.  You might want to try diluting the defoamer with water 1/1 and putting it in a spray bottle to mist right over the bubbles.

Vinny is also using enzymes and has foam and green water... I wonder if there is a connection.  What brand of enzyme are you using?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 06:11:31 pm »
Actually my green water is from the tap - I'm sure it's metals/minerals. I don't notice it in a glass but in a white tub I do. I will be adding metal gone to get rid of color on my next water change.

Enzymes and how I'm using them could be the problem. I going to try different solutions for the foam problem with the last resort being a water change.

I had 5" of foam on the water one time I will attribute that to detergent mixing with the enzymes. I do try to use a "hot tub suit" but with kids - it doesn't happen with them.

Also what I believe I think I know is that IF the scum ball soaked up oils and you added enzymes, the enzymes will eat up the oil in the scum ball - causing foam.

Or maybe it's a "B" movie -  'The Attack of The Foaming Tubs'! ;D

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 06:17:48 pm »
Vinny,  there's nothing worse in a tub than #1 Green Water, #2 foam.  Both of which I've experienced.  I too have a basically white shell (platinum Jacuzzi / Sundance colour) and for the longest time I thought there was a problem with the water.  Although we can't get those "Metal Gone" products in Canada, I tried to use more stain & scale, but the best results have been getting an inline dispenser from jacuzzi.  Since my water change, the dispenser has kept that 1PPM of bromine, which has kept the water at a slight blue tinge, which if you look on alot of the hot tub sites, is pretty normal for a white tub.  

I also agree with draining.  It's a pain, but once you start adding a ton of chemicals, the water almost locks, even if the tds isn't too high.

my 2 cents....

mark

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 06:19:38 pm »
Someone or someones have brought the cause of your foam into your spa.  Soaps, lotions, oils all have a big effect.  With the spa being new, lots of use, residual in the plumbing, etc. all add to the situation.  Another thing to watch for...filter cleaner that has not been rinsed out completely.  My worst foam problem came from filter cleaner.

Enzymes will keep your scum bug clean (and your filters).

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 08:58:50 am »
Good advice coming in here..  Thanks a lot.  I Live in Connecticut and I just chatted with a guy about the greeness.  He has a pool and he said same thing happened with his pool clear water then boom Green.  He has attributed it to the change in weather (getting chilly) and has added algae remover as the solution.  Hmm I said....  Algae I saw the spa stuff for algae and I thought I'll never need that the cover is always closed.  Not true I guess...  I am not sure this is the culprit but it may be.  

the enzyme stuff "Leisure" (I think I'd need to check for sure) something like that (RHtubs).

I will drain for sure if I cannot combat the problem in the next few days.  No green water allowed at the party!  

Can I clean the dirty duck?  How?

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 09:03:20 am »
Btw_ just for the record and to eliminate it as suspect. we have spa suits too.    Since the begining because I was lucky enough to find kind knowledgable people like yourselves before I jumped in for the first time.  

Thanks!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 10:39:57 am »
Generally algae is not a problem with spa water.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 10:39:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42