What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic filtration  (Read 8194 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: Arctic filtration
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 01:52:46 pm »
oh yeah and about the headaches.  Actually from my understanding, some people are able to right hot tubs off on taxes due to migranes.

When I first tested a bunch, I was sitting in 102 and 104 inside the store, no outside air with room temp air.  I was getting very hot and developed awsome headaches.  

called my doctor, said that the heat raises your temp and headaches can occurr.  She said your body will get used to it.  I have had my tub one month, no headaches and the fresh outside air helps with the warm water.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 01:52:46 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 01:55:28 pm »

The arcitc dealers seem to recommend bromine over chlorine.  Arctic utilizes tri chlor which many here no is quite harmful to a hot tub, and in some cases companies void the warranty when it is used.

Perhaps it's just me,but I am confused by the above statment.

Does artic recomend Bromine or Chlorine?

Tri  chlor is the chlorine used in swimming pools. Dichlor is the chlorine used in spas.   No?

I'm  confused.

????
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 01:56:24 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005, 02:25:04 pm »
arctic pure chemicals, which are spa boss offer, chlorine or bromine.  the chlorine use in their product brand is trichlor believe it or not.  I dont know why they dont use dichlor but I heard that they may be packaging it soon.

Where I am, the local arctic dealers recommend bromine for their customers, but ultimately it is your choice.  I still cant find dichlor locally

hottub man can you help

Soakin

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2005, 02:44:29 pm »
...the chlorine use in their product brand is trichlor believe it or not.  I dont know why they dont use dichlor but I heard that they may be packaging it soon...
I think they must use trichlor because it is the only chlorine product available in puck form for feeders.  I'm guessing that dichlor dissolves too easily to work in an erosion feeder, and combined with its quick dissipation in hot water, it would be hard to manage residuals.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 03:04:49 pm by Soakin »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 02:54:39 pm »
I think they must use trichlor because it is the only chlorine product available in puck form for feeders.  I'm just guessing here, but I wonder if dichlor dissolves to easily to work in an erosion feeder, and combined with its quick dissipation in hot water, it would be hard to manage residuals.

Bingo
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2005, 03:00:00 pm »
I sell a C-4950 for $39.95 and the Mirco-Pure filter for $19.95 US dollars.

I'm not sure if they are on my web site as of yet.  But e-mail me at Michael@HeavenlyTimes.com I can ship them if someone likes.

Thanks,
Michael

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 03:15:58 pm »
Okay, so does Artic recomend Bromine or a Trichlor puck?

And since I am so inquisitive today,

why do some hot tub manufactuters recomend Bromine if Dichlor seems to be the sanitizer of choice? Does it have anything to do with the tub/filter design?
07 Caldera Geneva

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 03:27:26 pm »
Drewstar;

I do not beleive Bosco is stating that Arctic recommends one over the other. His dealer does.

As to why, I think it has more to with geography than what "seems to be the sanitizer of choice"

In Canada, where Bosco and I live, products like Nature II and Baqua are not approved as sanitizers and therefore are not availible through spa retailers here. I do beleive that bromine was much more popular in the US years ago...then alternatives were approved, they are not approved here.

If you want an answer as to what Arctic "approves" you should contact them and not rely on the few customers and dealers that are here.

I do not beleive any spa manufacturer specifically endorses any sanitizer. Many disapprove trichlor, calcium hypo, sodium hypo or pucks altogether, that does not mean they "approve" dichlor specifically. If excluding pucks, that would mean they "approve" lithchlor, dichlor, granular bromine, brilliance etc.

Homeworks Financing Representative

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2005, 03:33:58 pm »
thanks HTM.  
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2005, 05:47:25 pm »
With an Arctic Spas any chemical can be used.  Bromine, Cholrine, Baqua Spa, Nature 2, Spa Frog, etc...  If you hear of another chemcal let me know and I'll get an answer for you.  

Michael
www.HeavenlyTimes.com

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2005, 06:56:26 pm »
Okay, so does Artic recomend Bromine or a Trichlor puck?

And since I am so inquisitive today,

why do some hot tub manufactuters recomend Bromine if Dichlor seems to be the sanitizer of choice? Does it have anything to do with the tub/filter design?

My opinion on this and it's only an opinion is this. My dealer started me out on bromine. I spent 30 bucks on activator, 30 bucks on MPS and 30 bucks on a bucket of pucks. In a few months it was gone I was struggling with my water the PH and TA kept dropping so I needed PH up (which I later found out was baking soda) and it was not as clear as I liked it. So I bought more stuff to help clear up my water. Could not get a handle on it after a few water changes and got some advice that steered me to 6 lb's of dichlor for 20 bucks and some baking soda for .99 cents. It lasted for the same amount of water changes and seemed to be alot better matter of fact so much better and easier that to this day I still use it.

I use 2- 25 dollar filters and rotate them for a couple years then replace.
Retired

Soakin

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2005, 07:50:20 pm »
why do some hot tub manufactuters recomend Bromine if Dichlor seems to be the sanitizer of choice?
I don't know that Dichlor is "the sanitizer of choice" anywhere but on these boards.  Someone started a thread a few months ago asking dealers what they use personally and there were a lot more bromine responses than you'd expect from reading here.

I'm guessing that a lot of dealers start their customers on bromine because it is simpler, and allows more room for error (missed doses, vacations, amine buildup, etc).  Once you get a reserve established and find the proper setting on a feeder, you just forget it -- other than shocking every so often and adusting pH back up.  If that is all you use, you get used to the chlorine/bromine off-gas (the pucks have a lot of chlorine with the bromine, unless you use Brilliance)when you open the cover, and the slight cloudiness (IMO) of the water.  If the water stays in condition with minimal effort, the customer is happy and the dealer has one less hand to hold.

Then the customer sees a friend's tub with clearer water and less chemical smell or gets on the internet and reads about dichlor regimines that actually have you soaking in less chemical residual, and wants to know why the dealer steered them to bromine. ???   Or conversely, a dichlor user has trouble due to missed doses, or tires of regular dosing and his/her neighbor extolls the virtues of his bromine feeder that he never touches other than to refill every couple of weeks, and that customer...  Don't you feel sorry for those guys/gals? ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 07:53:37 pm by Soakin »

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2005, 12:22:23 am »
IF we got an Arctic, we'd probably try the floating bromine and if it didn't work to our satisfaction, we'd probably switch and buy dichlor somewhere other than the dealer.  Since we get start up chems, and base on responses here, I don't think we'd go with trichlor.  
I've read about drying your skin out, but that can be as much a function of the spa removing all your skin oils I would think.  We would be on one or the other since the Arctic system at this time doesn't accomodate Cu or Ag ion purifiers.

Soakin

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2005, 01:35:18 am »
 We would be on one or the other since the Arctic system at this time doesn't accomodate Cu or Ag ion purifiers.
I haven't really studied metal systems, but don't you still need a halogen sanitizer to supplement?

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2005, 08:02:14 am »
I haven't really studied metal systems, but don't you still need a halogen sanitizer to supplement?

Supposedly less sanitizer, but not eliminated.  My apologies, I unintentionally implied something not necessarily true.  Between Ozone and Metals, supposedly you can substantially reduce the halogens.  But I have no way to attest to the validity of the claim and have not researched it enough to even be able to recite mfgs claims.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2005, 08:02:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42