What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub and Electronics?  (Read 3735 times)

themoc

Hot Tub and Electronics?
« on: August 08, 2005, 04:42:06 pm »
I am happy to report that our backyard relandscaping is near complete, and we can finally accept delivery of the Sundance Altamar tub we ordered more than a month ago. What an agonizing delay! Rain in the MW kept pushing our timetables back, but the end is finally near!

I am accepting delivery of the tub 8/16, and have an electrician coming the 17th and 18th to wire our new backyard fountain and tub. God willing, I'll be soaking by the weekend!

Question--the tub will be positioned right outside the door of my walk out basement. The wall it will be set against is the same wall that, on the inside, has my DirecTV outlet. I have been giving some thought to the idea of installing a small flat screen TV on a swing arm to the brick on the OUTSIDE, so that I can watch TV, listen to music, etc. via DirecTV.

Does anyone have a similar set-up, or tried it? I am concerned about having too much electrical hazards near the tub, and am obviously concerned about the impact of the outdoors on the TV.

Any thoughts? I'll post again prior to the first dip. Already have that expensive bottle of champagne waiting and a Romeo and Juliet (cigar) waiting for my first dip.   :)

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub and Electronics?
« on: August 08, 2005, 04:42:06 pm »

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
Re: Hot Tub and Electronics?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 05:55:02 pm »
Romeo and Juliet cigars?????? are you serious?????? Sorry being an ex-smoker I don't touch anything that has any tobacco products in it any more 11 months and going strong!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 06:02:57 pm »
Romeo y Juliet is a fave!  If you like your champagne and cigars that much (I'm a cigar and martini man m'self), I bet you won't miss your TV.  Fuggetaboutatv....at least at first....you may be like me and not want one at all...... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

themoc

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 10:09:18 pm »
Good advice on the TV. Believe it or not, I actually enjoy listening to the music channels on DirecTV, but Êfor now I wil just use my portable iPod speakers.

A very good friend of mine travels frequently and brought me back a couple cubans from the Middle East. I am not a smoker, but do enjoy a nice cigar and a nice bottle of champagne every now and again. Fire up a fancy stogey maybe 4-5 times a year. The first dip in a new hot tub seems like a special event to me. Hopefully the first of many!

Was reading through the other post about youngsters (21) buying tubs. Is 31 too young for hot tub, cuban cigar and champagne? Ê

8) 8)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 10:10:27 pm by themoc »

J._McD

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 10:25:52 pm »
You have completely frogotten about Juliet and if you know which side your bread is buttered on you might be advised to get a few of those sweet smelling candles and light them inside befor you go outside.  Just a suggestion for what it's worth. ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 10:27:32 pm by J._McD »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 08:59:54 am »

Was reading through the other post about youngsters (21) buying tubs. Is 31 too young for hot tub, cuban cigar and champagne? Ê

8) 8)

If you can afford it, you're old enough.  Hopefully at age 31 you're out of the nest doing your own thing.  
Brewman
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 09:39:22 am »
I can attest to the cigars. A fine choice.  ;D

The TV? Nah.   Just my opinion,  but  no thanks.  I'd worry about protecting the TV form the elements, as well as just the whole asthics of it all. And honestly? I don't want to wath tv when I'm in the tub.

Now, if you want to put a digital project in, and some nice outside speakers, and project moives onto  a jumbo screen or the side of the house....you could make you're own drive in (or swim in) theater.  ;D

For those who have a few extra bucks, I recomened the following Inflatable  Big screen Outdoor tv from the fine folks at Frontgate: You got to check this  out:

http://www.frontgate.com/fg/pdp.jsp?prod_key=70932&category_key=%2fProductHierarchy%2fPool+%26+Spa%2fOutdoor+Entertaining
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 10:17:19 am by wmccall »
07 Caldera Geneva

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 11:34:53 am »
The system seems like overkill.. . I know that's the American way.

I would think that a screen fixed to a wall, fence, or put up on a folding metal stand might be every bit as big - and more stable to boot. The whole thing looks like fun though: especially floating around in the pool while watching a movie.

Now, there was another item on the same page which caught my eye:

I like this: I could have sold a ton of these back when I was doing pools!

Might be nice for fountains too.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 11:42:20 am »
I saw the floating light and thought about getting it....but at $200 + I had second thoughts.  Frontgate is a tad exspesive.

What's the code for posting pics?
07 Caldera Geneva

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 11:46:23 am »
i wonder if that light has a remote control? and maybe an optional motor to drive around the pool.... wait, wait... what we need is a much larger one, with at least 2 motors, 5 lights, pointed in random directions........ wait, a DISCO BALL on a pipe with 10 lights aimed at it....
well maybe that would be a little overkill, but i agree, the light is pretty cool.

as to the blow up projector..... i thought it was pretty cool, but $TEN THOUSAND?!?!
however, as we have been considering getting a projector for the house instead of a plasma screen, i bet i could point it out a window (a very CLEAN window) and just set up a screen. i already have outdoor speakers connected to the fam room system anyway......
woundn't it be cool to watch the infomercial for thermospas FROM your own hot tub? ::) ;D ;D ;D

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 12:04:43 pm »
There are really servicable projectors available for under $1000 now that will knock the socks off most TV screens, and you can certainly project a movie onto a bedsheet hanging from the side of a house, having a really awsome outdoor theater.  We've done this a few times.  

PS
In addition to Romeo Y Julietta, I also enjoy Arturo Fuentes Double Chateu, and Royal Salutes, when I can find them.

Brewman

themoc

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 01:01:53 pm »
I was thinking more about catching a baseball or football game while soaking, but I think everyone is right. I'll only be stressing myself out watching my team while I am trying to relax. Never mix "pleasure" with pleasure, I guess!  : )

The projection screen seems like a bit much. I barely go to the movies as it is.

I am happy to report I am out of the nest and have been since college. I'm one of those DINK's. Dual Income No Kids. Which always helps when buying hot tubs! My wife and I figured we'd buy our house and hot tub and all that stuff first, then have kids. And we'll need the tub when the kids come!

RockyRanch

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 06:03:57 pm »
We did just that, used a swinging tv mount, a 21" LCD tv & set it up with a wireless audio / video unit so all we do is plug it in to the GFCI plug & watch whatever we want. The jets kill some of the sound, but for football the watching is better than the listening anyway  ;D

It sets under a 4 foot cover of the house roof & if it starts to rain we just bring it in.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 06:03:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42