What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: hot tub in garage?  (Read 19854 times)

trog88

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
hot tub in garage?
« on: August 06, 2005, 12:44:12 am »
still undecided where to place my future tub. yes outside sounds fine, but with tons of room in the garage it could end up there.  my roof is approx. 13 ft high, so would there be a problem from maybe the steam or heat from the tub that could cause trouble later?   at least i wouldnt have to worry about pouring new concrete ect..    please respond if anyone has some advice.  thanks

Hot Tub Forum

hot tub in garage?
« on: August 06, 2005, 12:44:12 am »

frankeyboy

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
Re: hot tub in garage?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 12:54:23 am »
You are spending a bundle of money for the hot tub, don't try to cut corners and save money with the placement.  IMHO sitting in the hot tub when its snowing is one of the best parts of spa ownership.  Do you really want to be staring at the back of your garage door while soaking?  Leaning back with a beer and staring at the stars at night is a wonderful experience.

Frankeyboy

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 09:44:56 am »
I also vote for outside.  The garage just doesn't seem inviting.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 12:07:10 pm »
I know of 1 person who has their hot tub in a garage. They didn't want to deal with the cold. I would still think that you have to consider the amount of water the spa will throw off and how to deal with it.

I was considering putting it in a screen room with glass windows but decided from the advice I got here and another site along with talking to a friend with a tub - outside was the place to be.

Now I can't wait to be sitting in it with snow falling! Of course since it'll be my first year with the tub, we won't get snow!

Put the tub where you'll be most comfortable both in aesthetic and usage!

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 02:25:49 pm »
Garage setting doesnt work for me, either.  Being outside in the spa is so awesome, dont underestimate how great the contrast between fresh air and hot water feels and smells.  Its very relaxing to look up at the stars and see the trees moving.  Ours is on the back deck and we put a gazebo over it  to escape direct sun.  

As far as steam building up, you would be creating quite a moist environment in there over time. You might could have some issues with mold or mildew growing on the garage walls/ceiling.  Nothing that some scrubbing w/bleach wouldnt fix, but not sure I'd like all the moisture in the garage.  

In the winter when its really cold, I wrap my towel around me, then put on big thick robe, stocking cap (yes, I look ridiculous!!) and I wear mocassins out to the tub.   It takes a quick 5sec to get in the tub, getting out will hurt, but only for the minute it takes me to run back in house.  

Good luck in finding the perfect spot for YOU!

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 02:42:50 pm »
I discovered many years ago when I  had my 1st tub that it was the only way that I could enjoy being outside in the winter.  I can't tell you how many falling stars I've seen from the tub, too many to count.  I love being outdoors.

fletch49

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 05:23:15 pm »
I had a friend move from house to house and until he could build a deck, he put his spa in the garage. Not a good idea in the cold Canadian winters! If he used his tub (during the winter), he couldn't open his garage door the next day due to the ice and frost accumulation on the garage door.  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 05:24:14 pm by Spazz »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 06:08:12 pm »
A friend bought a spa in late winter and decided to do a temporary hookup in his garage.  Soaking in the garage just wasn't right.  Felt strange.  When spring came, he put in his permanent installation, outside.  He's much happier now.
Brewman
Brewman

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 08:11:25 pm »
still undecided where to place my future tub. yes outside sounds fine, but with tons of room in the garage it could end up there.  my roof is approx. 13 ft high, so would there be a problem from maybe the steam or heat from the tub that could cause trouble later?   at least i wouldnt have to worry about pouring new concrete ect..    please respond if anyone has some advice.  thanks

Trog:

My guy who does all my animal taxidermy stuff has his out in his garage..it actually looks mice he's got it in a corner with a nice bar to the side!

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
;DRe: hot tub in garage?
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 09:49:42 pm »
I have my tub inside (not in a garage though)  
We get in our tub EVERY night...I doubt many "outsiders" can claim this.

I think it's an excellent idea for a temporary spot...when you are ready to relocate the spa, unhook, open the garage door and out goes the tub.

Since most garages have the main electric panel located there, running a new circuit will be easy, just check the codes as far a minimum distance from tub to panel.

Call up some exhaust ventilation manufacturers for recommendations for amount of air changes per hour to install the proper exhaust and makeup, and you will have no moisture problems.

We use a remote Fantech vent with two intakes in the spa room...totally quiet. Sized it for 1 air change per 5 minutes (as per Fantech)

Put in a TV, Brewmiester cooler, etc, and leave the star gazing to the hoot owls. ;D If you really want to feel the outdoors, hit the garage door opener!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 08:50:07 am »
I have to agree with the majority here;  outside for the hot tub.  I live in New England and being outside in the hot tub in the dead of winter is by far the most enjoyable aspect of the tub.  There is nothing like it.

;D
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re:  ;DRe: hot tub in garage?
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 08:54:51 am »
I have my tub inside (not in a garage though)  
We get in our tub EVERY night...I doubt many "outsiders" can claim this.

I disagree.  While we don't use the spa every night, there is nothing preventing us from doing so, other than the few times when there is a thunderstorm or blizzard or other condition making it unsafe or undesireable.  
But that's only a few days per year.  

Brewman

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 10:30:31 am »
Ok..I have to chime in here..My tub as most of you know is under a gazebo but, it's not totally away from the elements it still gets cold at night in the spa room so I would say I'm pretty much outside too. It's not that bad and yes I use my tub EVERYDAY!!! 5-6 times per day, but this is the reason I bought my spa..so that I could get into it when my back pain was at it's worst!! So, I think your wrong Johnvb...most people who have their hot tubs outside use it EVERYDAY!

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
:)Re: hot tub in garage?
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 11:48:47 am »
So, I think your wrong Johnvb...most people who have their hot tubs outside use it EVERYDAY!

Maybe you're right, but I certainly wouldn't if mine were outside. I wish more people here would list their location, it would add to the understanding of where everyone was "coming from" (literally!)

Here in the Southeast it is hot and humid in the summer, and as for "tubin in the snow, well I would get to do that maybe 3 times a year. If another southerner wants to chime in and call me a wimp, go ahead. I have an outside pool to go along with the inside tub, if I want to rough it outside.

Actually the hot tub was my way of getting my wife away from the "boob toob", as she couldn't handle the outdoor thing. Seems to of been a good choice.

To each their own and no hard feelings. :)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 11:53:32 am »
Call me a wierdo, but I put my car in the garage.  ::)
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 11:53:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42