What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Resort Hot Tub Horror Stories  (Read 6142 times)

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
Resort Hot Tub Horror Stories
« on: July 29, 2005, 04:28:50 pm »
Just back from a vacation to a 3 star resort.  My Dad paid a big premium to be in the "executive chalet" at this place.  

part of the allure was that it had it's own hot tub.  I was quite excited about this, as their two other hot tubs are sickly gross!! Excess foam, dirty....you get the idea.

The tub in the "executive chalet" was only slightly better.  It was a "Sunrise Spa" that had obviously seen it's best days while it was still wrapped at the spa dealership.

The heat control didn't work, so my brother, sister and their spouses and kids (who were really looking forward to this as they don't have tubs) could only enjoy it at 100F.  3-4 of the jets didn't even have the full housing on them and most of the diverters didn't work.  And to boot, there was a ton of sand in the bottom of the tub.  I mentioned to the maintenance staff about spa vacs, which they had never heard.

Oh ya, it also didn't have a cover lifter, which was so much fun.

Happy to be home with my own tub,

Mark

PS....how do these resorts get away with having such dirty gross tubs?  Aren't they subject to the same health regulations?

(this resort is in Manitoba, Canada)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 04:30:00 pm by golferm »

Hot Tub Forum

Resort Hot Tub Horror Stories
« on: July 29, 2005, 04:28:50 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Resort Hot Tub Horror Stories
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 04:37:41 pm »
We were staying at the Peabody in Orlando during the 2000 NSPI Show (a big pool and spa expo for those wondering).  The inground spa they had next to the pool had foam rising about 18" off the surface of the water, and the jets weren't even on.  I always wondered if anybody was silly enough to go in that awful mess.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 06:41:37 pm »
Went to Disney and stayed at the Animal Kingdom Hotel.

The tubs were great, then again we're talking Disney. It was the first tubs I actually went in quite often and I knew then I WANTED A TUB even though I wanted a tub.

They cleaned the tubs every 2 days and I was surprised how clean they were, I had been reading about how dirty commercial tubs can be.

mark 2550

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 07:36:09 pm »
We recently rented a log cabin in the pigeon forge area (tenn.)and I'm happy to say their no name hot tub was a delight, it did have a somewhat ordor from the chemicals the first evening , no foaming issue's and everything worked after the maintenace people came and unlocked the program to be able to change the temperature settings we all thoroughly enjoyed our expierence with this tub and that is why now were in the market to purchase our own been checking out different brands,dealer's and hopefully soon will wet test and the choose the one were both comfortsable with.

tootall

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 08:53:10 pm »
I was at a time share at the Ocean and the hot tub there had brown fuzz growing on the sides it looked like a tide pool not a hot tub. the pool was good.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 10:38:51 pm »

The tubs were great, then again we're talking Disney. It was the first tubs I actually went in quite often and I knew then I WANTED A TUB even though I wanted a tub.

They cleaned the tubs every 2 days and I was surprised how clean they were, I had been reading about how dirty commercial tubs can be.

Its a thread about horror stories, but on the otherside, Here in Ohio, Hocking county has the highest number of hot tubs per person than any county in the country. Lots of resorts that are individual cabins each with its own hot tub. Thousands of Ohioans get their first hot tub experience at them.  Our favorite place had a relatively simple round Viking Spa.  the owners, had 6 cabins and 7 tubs.   They also did a great job of caring for them.  8am every day was spa maintenance so the guest knew to be presentable.   It was a great experience that put the need for a spa on the front burner.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 12:00:48 am »
Its a thread about horror stories, but on the otherside, Here in Ohio, Hocking county has the highest number of hot tubs per person than any county in the country. Lots of resorts that are individual cabins each with its own hot tub.

Like your supposed to feel compfortable about getting in a public spa in a county that was named for the act of "Hocking"?  :o

Do that have a city named "Spitting" in the same county? ;D

Chris_H

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 12:34:49 am »

I have been in that hottub.  I am going to shower now.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 02:50:45 am »
This is not my story, but I heard it from a former employee often enough that I almost feel a sense of ownership.

He and his sweety went to Los Vegas and stayed at one of the more up-scale hotels. They decided to try a spa - there were something like a dozen to choose from so they felt they could find one that looked clean enough, and he had a tube of test strips with him so he could check for a good level of chlorine.

They circled the pool/fountain/stream/spa area several times, and had to choose the spa with the least foam: about six inches.

One more item he had with him which he had not metioned to anyone: a bottle of Foam Down. He surreptitiously put some on his hands like lotion, and then turned, strode over and stepped into the crowded tub. He stood like Moses parting the red sea, and when he touched the water, the foam fled like magic away from him in all directions.

Everyone else in the spa got up and left immediately and they enjoyed a nice long soak alone.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

txwillie

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 11:00:38 am »
One more item he had with him which he had not metioned to anyone: a bottle of Foam Down. He surreptitiously put some on his hands like lotion, and then turned, strode over and stepped into the crowded tub. He stood like Moses parting the red sea, and when he touched the water, the foam fled like magic away from him in all directions.

Everyone else in the spa got up and left immediately and they enjoyed a nice long soak alone.

now THAT is funny

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 11:55:02 am »
Some resort towns actually have clean tubs.  I have a servcie/sales busienss maintaining over 100 spas on a weekly basis in Breckenridge, CO.  

We drain spas when needed.  It seems to average about 1 month.  The reason is the guest don't shower before useing the spa.  They drink beer, wine, and eat pizza in the spa.  You know having fun on there vacation.  So draining and filling spas that often eliminates calls from a new guest checking in.

Michael
www.HeavenlyTimes.com

J._McD

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 04:03:17 pm »
My wife, who would NEVER go into a public spa and now I know why, and I were in the Bahama's in March a couple of years ago, which happened to coincide with "spring break", lucky us eh!  Our room was on the second level with a veranda overlooking the pool and spa area.  

One evening we were sitting out and looking at the stars when there was a group of young party people in the spa.  One of them got sick and barfed in the spa.  Needless to say, everyone got out and left :-X.  Shortly thereafter................well, I need not go on, but the spa was never taken out of service.  :o:P :P :P

My wife turned to me a said, "see what I mean".

I commonly say, "hey, us guy's we would sit in battery acid as long as we've got a beer, but the ladies, that water better be sparkling clean and crystal clear with that invitation to drink before they will consider getting in.  I have never found a guy or a gal that didn't agree with me.  Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars. ;D

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 06:44:03 pm »
The Orlando Sentinel just ran an article on how many resorts and hotels failed the inspection for pool sanitation.  I was amazed at how long the list was and included top names.

I realize summer in Orlando is the highest amount of tourists using the pools in the highest heat, but it is still inexcusable how many times many of these properties failed.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 07:55:51 pm »
I had several commercial accounts back when we did pool service, and even though I put in lots of extra time and effort, was there three days a week, I still had to go out after hours to clean up various 'emergencies' from time to time.

No, I don't go in public spas.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 07:55:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42