What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First question about water  (Read 5906 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
First question about water
« on: July 28, 2005, 09:01:23 am »
Ok, so I have had the tub for a day now.  This is the problem.  Last night 4 adults were in it.  My wife son and I were in it earlier in the day as well.

So After my wife and I got out, I added to tablespoons of shock as directed by my dealer.   I ran the boost cycle to mix it.  At night 4 adults in it for like 3 hours, i know i know.  The one girl is a makeup and lotion girl I think.  After they left, I added 4 tablespoons of shock or what arctic calls refresh.

Anyways this morning I went out to look at it and the water is a little cloudy, but more importantly the top looks like someone put a layer of baby powder accross it.  What is all the gunk on the top of the water and how do I get rid of it.

I checked the water and bromine, and total alk is good.  The PH was a little high so I added one capful of ph down as directed in the book.

My question is, did I over shock?  Is one tablespoon per user really needed every time?  I have a micropure filter as well which you dont clean ever, and I was told that you should not add clarifiers to the water because it could clog the filter.  

What do I do?  I thought finding a tub was hard, I am so confused.  I dont want to be the over chemical the tub guy, so please help.

Hot Tub Forum

First question about water
« on: July 28, 2005, 09:01:23 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: First question about water
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 09:06:09 am »
"I  have a micropure filter as well which you dont clean ever"

Never, ever? Is it disposable? how long does it last? What does this cost?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 09:06:33 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 09:07:42 am »
yeah its a disposable.  You change it every 3 to 4 months.  You never clean it, just leave it in there.  

You get three for 90canadian
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 09:08:24 am by bosco0633 »

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 09:48:34 am »
I am thinking of using them on my Beachcomber Tub when it arrives next week.  The web site is:

www.micropure.ca

I found a site that sells them:

www.hottubessentials.com/micropure-disposable-filters.asp

Looks like a good product, but hard to get info on them.  If you search this forum for MicroPure a couple of threads show up with info.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 10:27:26 am »
Ok, so I have had the tub for a day now.  This is the problem.  Last night 4 adults were in it.  My wife son and I were in it earlier in the day as well.

So After my wife and I got out, I added to tablespoons of shock as directed by my dealer.   I ran the boost cycle to mix it.  At night 4 adults in it for like 3 hours, i know i know.  The one girl is a makeup and lotion girl I think.  After they left, I added 4 tablespoons of shock or what arctic calls refresh.

Anyways this morning I went out to look at it and the water is a little cloudy, but more importantly the top looks like someone put a layer of baby powder accross it.  What is all the gunk on the top of the water and how do I get rid of it.

I checked the water and bromine, and total alk is good.  The PH was a little high so I added one capful of ph down as directed in the book.

My question is, did I over shock?  Is one tablespoon per user really needed every time?  I have a micropure filter as well which you dont clean ever, and I was told that you should not add clarifiers to the water because it could clog the filter.  

What do I do?  I thought finding a tub was hard, I am so confused.  I dont want to be the over chemical the tub guy, so please help.

It sounds like you're on the right track bosco. You can't "over-shock" so don't worry about that. What you could do is increase your filtration cycles as it seems the lotions,etc. are not being filtered properly. Maintain a 3-5ppm of bromine and shock weekly and after heavy use.

I do agree with Chas in that most new owners only get about a month er 2 out their water as they haven't grasped the watercare concept yet. It'll come and it sounds like you're certainly ahead of most new owners... ;)

Steve

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 11:15:26 am »
hey steve,  what should i set my cycle to.  I am 1 hour filtration every four hours.  what do you suggest for me to do.  I was thinking that as well, i am glad you said that

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 11:17:57 am »
Hi Bosco:

First congrats on your TUB! Glad to see you are finally soaking.

I don't use bromine, so my advice may not exactly match your issues, but I will TRY.

The stuff floating is probably stuff that has clumped up and needs to be filtered out. I'd suggest shocking like you did, but allow the tub to run at least one or two cycles with the cover off and then see what happens. Remember, FILTRATION is what removes stuff, not just shock.

Am I hearing you say that you don't clean the filters, instead you just throw them out?

Best of Luck!

Drewski

:D
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 11:32:05 am »
The one girl is a makeup and lotion girl I think.  

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 11:43:21 am »
Bosco...you know what I would do??? I would beat the girl that had lotion on (ooops remembering a time back in the 70's when your neighbor could spank you sorry hehehe) Sounds like your getting a grasp on the chems hun. Like I am doing your just going to have to be patient and don't over think the chems...it's a basic easy task like mowing the lawn every week and setting the water to water it.

One thing that surprises me is how you filter..I'm reading it right...you filter one hour every four? see now tha's different than how I filter mine, it's set to come on at 2pm to 6pm in the afternoon and then from 10pm to 2am at night, so I'm filtering twice a day for 4 hours a day and right at this point and time my dealer is thinking on bumping that to 5 hours 2 x a day.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 11:47:49 am »
thanks guys.  Drewski I am using a new micro pure disposable filter.  They are becoming popular down this way.  You never clean them and dont need to add clarifier and defoamer apparently.

After 3 to 4 months you toss it and get a new one.  Im calling my dealer right now to see what he suggests for my filter times.

any input greatly appreciated.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 12:06:31 pm »
ok, so i went through the manual and learned how to change filter cycles.  I changed it to 2hours 4 times a day..  Now here is the problem, my tub has a safety to prevent water from getting to warm during filtering, It shuts itself down when it goes 2degrees over its set temp.  

So the tub is not filtering right now because it is so hot outside.  Thats why all this stuff is sitting on the water, so what do i do and how do i get the filtration to work in hot water.

I have a boost cycle but i have to manually start that and it goes for 45 min at a time.  So now what.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 12:11:55 pm »
ok, so i went through the manual and learned how to change filter cycles.  I changed it to 2hours 4 times a day..  Now here is the problem, my tub has a safety to prevent water from getting to warm during filtering, It shuts itself down when it goes 2degrees over its set temp.  

So the tub is not filtering right now because it is so hot outside.  Thats why all this stuff is sitting on the water, so what do i do and how do i get the filtration to work in hot water.

I have a boost cycle but i have to manually start that and it goes for 45 min at a time.  So now what.

I am surprised no one has suggested Enzyme cleaners yet. They work great, provided you do not add it to the water with high bromine levels. I recommend adding it when Br/Cl < 3 or better yet when br/cl=0.

If your bromine is too high to add it, open the lid a run the pumps with air on. This will allow the bromine to gas-off and also allow your pumps torun longer without shutting down.

I do not know what chems Arctic carries (rebranded CAPO I think), but I am sure they have an enzyme product. Otherwise look for SPA PERFECT (most common brand) or go to Budz and get some REFRESH or go to the Beachcomber dealer and get some PUREZYME.

Hope this helps.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 12:26:29 pm »
Would those "Scum Balls" be useful here?  Never have used them myself, so I don't know for sure how well they work.
Brewman
Brewman

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 12:29:11 pm »
Would those "Scum Balls" be useful here?  Never have used them myself, so I don't know for sure how well they work.
Brewman

Absolutely! Also look for the the Scum Bug. Works the same. Why didn't I think of that  ???
Homeworks Financing Representative

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 12:39:53 pm »
will those chemicals work with my micropure filter.  I was told no chemicals like that only, bromine, shock, ph up and down, and alk.    

i am also allowed to use something that makes the water soft and fresh smelling.  not sure of name.

Apparently the other products may clog my filter.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 12:39:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42