What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: chlorine or bromine? ozone gen?  (Read 10214 times)

spanewbie

• welcome to the center for the easily confused
chlorine or bromine? ozone gen?
« on: July 24, 2005, 05:31:17 pm »
hi -
Not only am I brand new to this great forum, but our new (& first) spa hasn't even been delivered yet.  
We're getting a Freeflow RLX 15 because we can't afford a Sundance or anything else in that price range.  We'll run it on 240V.  
I've read many posts on this forum and most of you are extremely knowledgeable - it's wonderful.  However, the more I read, the more confused I become about some of my dilemmas.  
1.  chlorine or bromine?  tabs or another form?  
2.  ozone generator?  Freeflow offers the Balboa UV type.  We 're more concerned with skin/breathing reactions to chemicals than with minor cost fluctuations.  I presume this can be an after-market item and that we can install it ourselves.
any input will be greatly appreciated.    8)

Hot Tub Forum

chlorine or bromine? ozone gen?
« on: July 24, 2005, 05:31:17 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: chlorine or bromine? ozone gen?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 06:40:05 pm »
I would use a mineral stick and di chlrol if you want to keep it simple....the after market ozone may not be worth the investment....as you will not have a mixing chamber

spanewbie

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 07:43:08 pm »
thanks for the reply, but what's a mineral stick, and I don't know about a mixing chamber.   ???

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 08:15:33 pm »
a mineral stick like the frog or nature 2 aids in water sanitation by adding silver based minerals to your spa ..a mixing chamber is after you water is injected with the ozone it mixes in a chamber and this is where the majority of ozones benefits happen in aiding again in the sanitation of your water ...

spanewbie

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 11:33:29 pm »
thanks for the explanation.
why do you prefer chlorine?

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 12:17:32 am »
its not I perfer it...but it is simple if thats what you are looking for...I use the frog and bromine

spanewbie

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 12:26:33 am »
what's easier about chlorine over bromine?

also, still confused about the ozone generator...  ???

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 09:11:24 am »
Ok sapnenewbie, between the bromine and chlorine it's really a personal decision, some like bromine others like chlorine....while there are some on this forum that prefer something that isn't either.  I use bromine in the form of a feeder I add a couple of tablets (they look like big huge lozenges) to the feeder that floats around my hot tub all the time, at times if it's low or my water looks cloudy and my stick reading is out of wack on the bromine...I add the bromine concentrate which looks like granulers. Like I said it's really a personal decision, but IMO I feel comfortable with the bromine. Hope this helps.

BP

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 09:16:24 am »
what's easier about chlorine over bromine?

also, still confused about the ozone generator...  ???

I've used both. I prefer the Dichlor (Chlorine).  I dump a tablespoon into the hot tub after each use and shock once a week. I prefer that to having a float in the hot tub with a bunch of bromine tabs in it.

The Ozinator in order to work efficently needs a "mixing chamber" (a leangth of hose about 15 week long) for the ozone to mix with the water, kill the bacteria and then enter the tub.  Without the mixing chamber, the ozone is injected directly into the tub, where it is not as concentrated and is (as some claim) virtually useless.

Good luck.
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 09:37:44 am »
A little bit more on Bromine and Chlorine....as Backpains mentioned it can be more of a personal decision (kinda like a coke vs pepsi thing).  ;)

I used bromine in my old tub for a year. it was dispensed into the water via a floting ducky thing.  I expereinced very dry, itchy skin.  I also didn't like the float dispenser. It was either getting stuck in my filter, or bumping into me when I was in the tub. It was a slight annoyance to me.

I was constanly adjusting the openings in the float as well trying to get the correct level of bromine.  

I wasn't comfortable with the bromine constantly floating around in the tub. Some days it was too high, some days too low.  People would play with the "cute duck".  Somedays I felt I was sitting in a chem bath.  IT jsut wasn't the system for me.

The Dichlor system for me seems much better/easier. It's been only a month, and i haven't had any dry itchy skin (the real proof will be in the dead of winter with the dry air).  YMMV.  8)
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 12:58:36 pm »

I've used both. I prefer the Dichlor (Chlorine).  

I think the best advice comes from those who have used both or are very familiar with both systems. Like Drewstar, I am very familiar with both and find that about 90% of those who've tried both prefer the dichlor version (especially when you have ozone and Nature 2). I often see people who have Bromine and give chlorine a try and most of them quickly swear off Bromine after trying chlorine.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

SDguy

• Where do they get these names for spas?
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 03:05:28 pm »
I agree with the drewstar and spa tech that dichlor is becoming the preferred way to go with the sanization of the spa. I've used both bromine and chlorine. Chlorine concentrate once a wekk and some shock when people are done bathing and it keeps the water sparkling clean all the time. Also, with the bromine tabs and concentrate I used to get itchy skin because it was tough to control the output of sanitizer with that system. I put approximately 90% of my new clients onto chlorine and have minimal problems with it. The biggest complaint I get is that they can't seem to have enough chlorine because the strip reads zero too often, however I feel that is the point behind being on that system. Once a week-chlorine 2 tbsp, every time bathers get out-1 tbsp shock.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 03:42:15 pm »
Question the rule of thumb with Di Chlor seems to be one teaspoon per bather ....but what about tub size and its role in the amount of di chlor ....anyone with any input

txwillie

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 03:49:23 pm »
I used bromine via the Spa Frog for about 9 months and was never real happy about the water quality. I drained and refilled at 8-10 weeks because the water would get so fizzy and cloudy with the jets on. I'm just shy of my first month using dichlor and the water looks better than it ever has.

I never had any skin problems with bromine, but it made my finger and toe nails brittle. That went away as soon as I switched to dichlor.

The Spa Frog is very simple and convenient, but at least IMO, dichlor is far superior. And BTW, I'm not using the Frog mineral cartridge with the dichlor, no need, the water is great without it.

txwillie
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 03:50:41 pm by txwillie »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 04:49:22 pm »
Question the rule of thumb with Di Chlor seems to be one teaspoon per bather ....but what about tub size and its role in the amount of di chlor ....anyone with any input

It should be more of you want to achieve 2-3 PPM in the tub. If a smaller tub takes 1 tsp and a larger 3 tsp, then that's what it takes to do the job.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 04:49:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42