What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: redesigned Grandee  (Read 5751 times)

mowgli1

redesigned Grandee
« on: July 22, 2005, 01:41:45 pm »
Is the updated Grandee available yet? Have any of the dealers received any yet? What are your impressions of the changes? Finally, any idea what the price increase will be? Any insight would be appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

redesigned Grandee
« on: July 22, 2005, 01:41:45 pm »

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
Re: redesigned Grandee
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 01:48:02 pm »
What is Watkins doing to it? I always thought that the Grandee was a great spa the way it was. Is there something that the competition has that is pushing them to make it more sale-able?
I always thought that "if it's not broken, don't fix it". Has the Grandee fallen off because of the competion.

hottubber... ; ???
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 02:29:29 pm by hottubber »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 01:53:41 pm »
I don't believe anythings broken on it.  It's just that, once again, Watkins has developed another outstanding feature to offer their customers.  Instead of having to wait for the next model year, we have the diversity and capability to offer it now.  It's another great way to be an industry leader.  YMMV.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

mowgli1

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 02:16:27 pm »
What is Watkins doing to it? I always thought that the Grandee was a great spa the way it was. Is there something that the competition has that is pushing them to make it more sale-able?
I always though that "if it's not broken, don't fix it". Has the Grandee fallen off because of the competion.

hottubber... ; ???

Changes:

1) both moto massages are dual instead of single

2) pumps size increased to 2.0 & 2.5 hp from 1.65 hp

3) tri x filters are standard

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 02:19:44 pm »
Yup - and the price increase is modest: should be around $300 through most dealers.

I have it priced the same as the Vista now.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottubber

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 02:33:00 pm »
East Tx,
I'm not saying there is a problem with the model? I thought it was a great selling model the way it was. If Watkins sees the need to improve on an already improved model, oh well.
It must be nice to have Masco as a bankroll.

hottubber... ;D

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 02:51:50 pm »
hottubber,

I realize what you were saying and I'm sorry if my reply was misinterpreted.  It is a great spa, it's just going to be even better now. :)

And you're right, being a successful company definitely does have it's advantages.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 03:33:32 pm »
Hot Springs needs to keep up to grow.  They are having big growth problems due to their size.

shabba34

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 03:36:23 pm »
Hot Springs needs to keep up to grow.  They are having big growth problems due to their size.
Would you like to elaborate.....???

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 03:46:16 pm »
They are big, big company with extreme importance on numbers.  They are not growing.  Market share decreasing.  Beginning to put their product in no service establishments like REC Warehouses, etc. in order to grow.  Wouldn't be surprised if they bought Leisure Bay in the very near future to continue growth.

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 03:57:27 pm »
Just an opinion.  They have always continued to better their product over time, it's just that when you have saturated every market, how else can you grow if current dealer base is not growing 10 -15% every year.  You can't and the stock holders don't like it so pressure builds.  You would never have seen HS in Rec Warehouses 10 years ago.  THEY HAVE NO SERVICE DEPARTMENT.  if someone buys a HS spa what kind of service are they going to get?  I hope they don't hurt the reputation by doing so.

hottubber

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 04:08:11 pm »
Kyle,

Don't you think that by putting products in non-service based accounts, it would hurt the overall outlook of Hot Springs? That would truly be a shame.

hottubber... :'(

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 04:17:05 pm »
That's what I can't figure out.  They've had THE best rep in last 20 years.  They are throwing it away for money.  Things always change.  But on the other hand they can increase their per store sales by 100 - 150% because of the numbers REC puts out.  Currently most HS dealers are down from years past.  HS as a company might be down as much as 20% this year.  I think it's too late for them to change now.  They are shipping HS out of Leisure Bay warehouse in FLorida to Rec dealers for cheaper freight.

shabba34

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 04:30:24 pm »
They are big, big company with extreme importance on numbers.  They are not growing.  Market share decreasing.  Beginning to put their product in no service establishments like REC Warehouses, etc. in order to grow.  Wouldn't be surprised if they bought Leisure Bay in the very near future to continue growth.
I agree that they are extremely large, and the importance on numbers is vital.  I realize that HS has dealers in just about every marketable area in this country as well as many others.  On the other hand, the Caldera side of the operation has room for tremendous growth.  Watkins market share is by no means decreasing.  The remaining market share after your two largest Mfg's is being juggled between 150 other Mfg's.  Through acrylic sheet sales, the closest figures at last check was somewhere around 17-18% for Watkins, and the next closest between 11-12%. (Sundance/Jacuzzi)  It appauls me that Watkins would use a company such as RFW to promote their product.  I understand the logic behind it, but the old days of the mom and pop operation of Watkins is long gone.  While the product remains at the pinnacle of the industry in quality, reliability, performance, and innovation, the smaller HS dealers have suffered tremendously from the expansion that Watkins has made into the warehouse stores.  Over time, the reputation caused by the lack of customer support from places like RFW will indeed hurt Watkins in the long term.  This may be 20 years down the road, that is when the we will see the rest of the industry truly share the market.  As for now, they are still the largest, still growing, still have a lot of coin, and a lot of power.  Kinda hard to lose in poker when you have all the chips sitting in front of you. Ala Greg Raymer 04' poker champ. ;)  

hottubber

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 04:34:38 pm »
Are you saying that Sundance doesn't have as good of a product or as many quality dealers?

I do believe Watkins makes a nice product, but I am a true Sundance believer. Dealer since 1983 and wouldn't change it for the world.

hottubber... :P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 04:36:29 pm by hottubber »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 04:34:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42