What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Questions???? Change the water & handling Ice  (Read 4716 times)

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
Questions???? Change the water & handling Ice
« on: July 15, 2005, 11:03:07 am »
How often should a person change their spa water?  Yes, I realize this depends on a lot of factors like usage, water type, chemical balances, and temperature just to name a few.  Is there a rule of thumb?  We use our tub 4 to 5 times a week and shower ahead of every use.  I noticed most chemical manafacturers say every 60 days so I got to wondering???

Also, how do folks up north like me handle ice build up in the winter?  My tub sits in the back yard on a concrete pad.  It is about 12' from my back door.  I'm wondering how to prevent ice from building up around the stairs and entry points including the deck in the winter.

Hot Tub Forum

Questions???? Change the water & handling Ice
« on: July 15, 2005, 11:03:07 am »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Re: Questions???? Change the water & handling Ice
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 11:09:06 am »
We change our water about every 3 months.  We could probably go longer as the water is still in pretty good shape after 3 months but we like to co-ordinate our water changes with changing the disposible Micro filter in our Optima.  Thos filters start too look pretty nasty after 3 months or so and I just find it easier to do it all at once.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

fletch49

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 11:17:26 am »

Also, how do folks up north like me handle ice build up in the winter?  My tub sits in the back yard on a concrete pad.  It is about 12' from my back door.  I'm wondering how to prevent ice from building up around the stairs and entry points including the deck in the winter.

They invented this neat little device called a snow shovel  ;D

No really, that's a good question, because the ice on the stairs get pretty thick as you use it. Obviously, you don't want to stain the stairs with salt, so I just gently chip the ice away with a hammer.

It can get rather treacherous getting in and out.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 12:09:51 pm »
We try and change water 3 or 4 times per year.  Our spa is under our deck, so minimal ice and snow builds up.  But after a snowfall, I just shovel as needed to access the spa.
Brewman
Brewman

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 05:41:26 pm »

I shovel as soon as I can after a snow fall to keep it from building up.   I also keep old  towels just inside the door.  Whenever we go out we cover the entire path to the tub with towels.  This not only prevents from slips but also from keeping feet from sticking to the ice.  I also cover my tub with a tarp in the winter.  It's real easy to pull the tarp full of ice and snow right off.  
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 09:57:03 am »
I've been told since I use my tub 5-6 times per day...I should change my water every 45 days..which is what we willl do (wonder what hubby's attitude is going to be changing it this winter when it's cold and miserable outside) As far as the ice goes..I won't have a problem of ice on the steps hubby made or the tub due to the fact that the hot tub has it's own little room but, the stairs will have to be shoveled often or I will slip and fall and we KNOW we don't want THAT happening

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 11:01:29 am »

They invented this neat little device called a snow shovel  ;D

No really, that's a good question, because the ice on the stairs get pretty thick as you use it. Obviously, you don't want to stain the stairs with salt, so I just gently chip the ice away with a hammer.

It can get rather treacherous getting in and out.

The one time I used a hot tub in the snow (I was traveling) they had a lightweight plastic step inside the back door. You grabbed your towel, grabbed the steps, and went out to the tub.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 11:04:25 am »
That's an excellent idea Chas.  :)

I have the  plastic, light weight steps and if I find they are icing up too much in the winter I will bring them inside to "defrost".
;D
07 Caldera Geneva

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 12:05:09 pm »
Thanks everyone for the great "dealing with ice ideas".  I especially liked the take the steps in and thaw them out theory!  The laying down towels was also good and gave me this idea!  How about buying some cheap indoor/outdoor carpet  laying it down for a walking path!  Then we'll just put the steps and the rug in the heated garage for thawing!
I'm really enjoying this tub and will be posting pictures soon for all to see. Thanks again!

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 12:41:29 pm »
As you can see, we use our tub up here in the northern hemisphere all-year around, and to be honest, ice really isn't a factor. Shovelling the snow, maybe, but most of the water stays in the tub (unless the wife is drinking again  ;D)

We put down a thick, corrogated rubber mat (from Costco) in front of our patio door for exit/entrance. The best advice I can give you is to get yourself a big, thick terry-cloth styled robe! Believe it or not, this is enough for us to negate the swimsuits regardless the time of year!!  
How do you know how much you don't know?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 05:34:56 am »
Shoveling all the snow where you walk is the most important part. After that the sun no matter how cold, if it hits the surface coated with ice will dissapate it slowly. But you have to keep up with the snow!!!

Retired

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 06:09:42 am »
JCDenton, that picture just got me excited about the terrible cold Canadian winter for the first time ever.  I cant wait to expierence this.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 06:09:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42