What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Narrowed it down to 3  (Read 7036 times)

cappykat

Narrowed it down to 3
« on: July 19, 2005, 01:41:50 pm »
We've narrowed our search down to 3 tubs; SD Cameo, MS LX800, and Jacuzzi J-385.  I think these are all pretty much comparable.  They all have stereo, ozonator, startup kit, steps, waterfall(s), cover & lift.

The Cameo and LX800 are close in price.  The Jacuzzi is about $1500 less than both the others.  We like the way they all feel.  My question is what makes the SD and MS worth $1500 more than the Jacuzzi?  If SD is the mfg of Jacuzzi why such a price difference?  I know someone said SD is the luxury line and Jacuzzi is a step below that.  Both the SD and the J appear to be constructed along the same design.

We are going to go back and wet test each one, but these are the ? I have.  We are not deciding based so much based on $1500....we want the best therapy and realiability.
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

Narrowed it down to 3
« on: July 19, 2005, 01:41:50 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Narrowed it down to 3
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 01:48:34 pm »
The wet test should let you know which in the end is the best fit for you ...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 02:03:16 pm »
Other than the lounger in the MS and SD, I don't see much of a difference in features and size.  

And on a second look, I see that the Jacuzi has a lounger too. never mind.

I am interested in what the dealers here can say about the price difference?  ???  It would have to be quite the story to justify $1500 in my book. The Jacuzi tub looks great....but as we all now, the wet test will decide.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 02:07:25 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hymbaw

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 02:15:10 pm »
When comparing to the Jacuzzi line you should be looking at the Sundance 780 Series (Bahia or Palermo). The 880 series (Cameo, Optima) have upgraded components (bearing-less jets, Micro filter, Circ pump that circulates and filters 7X more water per day, Subwoofer for stereo,Blower w/aroma therapy,etc......) Your dealer should be very competitive $$ wise with the 780 series.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 02:16:45 pm »
Ok, I'm really bored at work today.
Sundance

Dimensions:*
7'5" x 7'5" x 37.5" • 226cm x 226cm x 95cm

Dry Weight:
834 lbs • 378 kg

Filled Weight:
4,870 lbs • 2,209 kg

Water Capacity (Avg. Fill):
450 US gal • 1,703 liters

Water Delivery:
2 TheraMax high-flow pumps and Dynamic Flow Circulation System

Pump Ratings:   Pump 1
North America: 1-speed/2.5 hp continuous, 4.2 hp brake
International: 1-speed/2.5 hp continuous

Pump 2
North America: 1-speed/2.5 hp continuous, 4.2 hp brake
International: 1-speed/2.5 hp continuous
Total Jets:
Fluidix ST Jets:  12
Accu-Pressure Jets: 4
Pulsator Jets: 2
Fluidix Intelli-Jets: 8
Vortex Jets: 2
Euro Jets: 6
Whirlpool Jets: 5
Air Blower/Aromatherapy Delivery:
14 Air Injector Jets with quiet, 1.5 hp air pump

Air Controls/Massage Selectors:
5 Controls / 2 Selectors

Filter:
MicroClean II filtration system

Water Treatment:
Automatic Brominator and Dynamic Flow Circulation System,
SunZone CD installation-ready

Lighting:
Multicolor AquaTerrace LED Lighting,
1 in spa and 1 in waterfall

Headrests:
3 ComforTone 2-part/2-tone gray;
optional blue or camel insert

Electrical Requirements:
North America (60 Hz): 240 VAC @ 30A, 50A or 60A
International (50 Hz): 230-240 VAC @ 25A or 40A

AquaTerrace Control Panel:

AquaTerrace Waterfall:

In-ground Model:
Available**

Colors Available:
North America: Platinum, Silver Pearlescent, Azure Pearlescent, Sahara, Sand, Marine, Bluegrass, Onyx

International: Platinum, Silver Pearlescent, Azure Pearlescent, Sapphire, Emerald, Sahara, Marine, Bluegrass

Seats:
5-6 adults

The Jacuzzi

Size
L 94 " x W 94 " x H 38 "
Key features
Seats 6-7
A total of 43 PowerPro® jets
7 PowerPro® MX jets
7 PowerPro® LX jets
27 PowerPro® FX jets
2 PowerPro® SX jets
3 foot jets
5 headrests
2 Water Rainbow® waterfalls
Lighting includes LED ProLites plus Waterfalls
2 diverter valves
Two filters @ 60 sq ft each
Circulation pump
Three pumps:
1 speed/2.5hp
1 speed/2.0hp
2 speed/2.5hp
Electrical specifications 40A, 50A or 60A @ 240v
Warranty - 10 years shell structure, 7 years shell surface, 5 years on equipment and controls. See Limited warranty for exclusions and exceptions
Warranty terms valid for spas installed in North America only.
Color Options*

And of course the Master

LS800

Dimension:  94"x94"x36"

Dry Weight: 860 lbs.

Gallons: 485

Pumps: Four

Filtration: 150 sq. ft.

Number of jets: 76

Seating capacity: 6-7 adults

Secondary remote: Two

Master Blasters Two

Waterfalls Two

Complete Specifications

« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 02:19:13 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 02:32:30 pm »
Although cabinetry on spas is purely asthetic, except for very few that use it for support, put some weight on each of the cabinets. One of the brands mentioned will dramaticly woble. Like I said, it's not a structural issue, but it might speak to the over all quality of the product.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 02:33:06 pm by Wisoki »
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 09:18:13 am »
Although cabinetry on spas is purely asthetic, except for very few that use it for support, put some weight on each of the cabinets. One of the brands mentioned will dramaticly woble. Like I said, it's not a structural issue, but it might speak to the over all quality of the product.

OK, Wisoki, just spit it out....you are trying to equate the MS cabinetry to poor workmanship/design of the rest of the tub....at least that is what I think you meant by "dramaticly woble" or dramatically wobble or whatever you meant.  I think Stuart summed it up better when he called the cabinet panels "flimsy".  Though flimsy they may be, the ones on my year old LSX have done their job admirably as has the rest of the tub that has been issue free for a year now.  Basically, I think your attempt to equate MS's choice of cabinetry to poor quality of the rest of the tub is pure BS.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 09:28:49 am »
 Basically, I think your attempt to equate MS's choice of cabinetry to poor quality of the rest of the tub is pure BS.

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one WSD.

I sold Dimension 1 for a while. Most here will agree that it is a quality spa. There synthetic cabinetry, was less than sturdy. One could push it in. I have seen it change shape in the sun.

I do not beleive that the skirt in that case was any reflection of the quality of a Dimension 1. I did loose some deals because of it.....

I am not attempting to defend Master. I have no experience with them. No one sells them in my part of the world.
Homeworks Financing Representative

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 09:38:30 am »
I don't know. As an unbiased reader and consumer I found Winsokis comment fair and interesting.

He states cabinets are purley ashetic but advises a shopper to take note, without mentioning any specific brand.  Fair enough.

After all, a  buyer/reader has 3 tubs they are deciding on, and asked specifically for information on differences of these  tubs and why the  price dif.   The responses have been less than overwhelming and I found the point of flismly cabinet to be very relevent. No?

:)
07 Caldera Geneva

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 09:42:39 am »
I don't know. As an unbiased reader and consumer I found Winsokis comment fair and interesting.

He states cabinets are purley ashetic but advises a shopper to take note, without mentioning any specific brand.  Fair enough.

After all, a  buyer/reader has 3 tubs they are deciding on, and asked specifically for information on differences of these  tubs and why the  price dif.   The responses have been less than overwhelming and I found the point of flismly cabinet to be very relevent. No?

:)

I hear ya.

My point is that the cabinet does not necessarily reflect the quality of the rest of the spa. IMO.

Obviously Wisoki disagrees. Some shoppers that came to my store also disagreed.

I would also suggest that any spa manufacturer with a "flimsy" cabinet rectify the situation as the competition will lay "land mines" just like Wisoki did here.

Also good point on the lack of responses.

I am not intimately familiar with Jacuzzi or Master, so I stayed out of commenting on that part.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 09:53:16 am »
I've been intamate with both, but that is for another forum  ;) Like penthouse forum  ;D

I hear ya.

My point is that the cabinet does not necessarily reflect the quality of the rest of the spa. IMO.

Obviously Wisoki disagrees. Some shoppers that came to my store also disagreed.

I would also suggest that any spa manufacturer with a "flimsy" cabinet rectify the situation as the competition will lay "land mines" just like Wisoki did here.

Also good point on the lack of responses.

I am not intimately familiar with Jacuzzi or Master, so I stayed out of commenting on that part.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 09:56:48 am »
Oh great windsurfdog, I bow before you and ask forgivness for my poor spiellung ibilitys, oh please have murcy.  ::)

OK, Wisoki, just spit it out....you are trying to equate the MS cabinetry to poor workmanship/design of the rest of the tub....at least that is what I think you meant by "dramaticly woble" or dramatically wobble or whatever you meant.  I think Stuart summed it up better when he called the cabinet panels "flimsy".  Though flimsy they may be, the ones on my year old LSX have done their job admirably as has the rest of the tub that has been issue free for a year now.  Basically, I think your attempt to equate MS's choice of cabinetry to poor quality of the rest of the tub is pure BS.

cappykat

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 10:02:57 am »
For someone trying to decipher between the myriad of tubs out there....I'll tip the hat to Wisoki.  Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the "rest of the tub" but to me it's an important part of the tub.

I didn't even know which tub Wisoki was talking about....but I knew when looking at the MS that I wasn't crazy about the panels and the lack of foaming as compared to HS or SD.  

I'm not saying the MS is inferior....I don't know that.  Until I own one or the other I can't really comment.  I'm just trying to get the facts.
2005 Marquis Epic

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 10:06:44 am »
So to get back to the point,

Sundance is the big dog here and is the one to beat.

Jacuzi beats it by price,  but as mentioned,  may not be in the same catagory as the SD and Master as far as pump quality.

Master has more pumps, more jets, and maybe more gals. A bigger tub by a hair. No? Noticed no cool down seats on this guy.

So how are these tubs gonna stack up against each other for filtration, electrical costs, insulation and quality?  

What's the advice to CappyKat when he comes back and assumes he says: "I wet tested all three of them and they all were equally good? (which I doubt)

Go for the best price?
07 Caldera Geneva

cappykat

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 10:37:20 am »
Which tub has the titanium heater?
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 10:37:20 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42