What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What I've Learned from Kids Using My Tub  (Read 5386 times)

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
What I've Learned from Kids Using My Tub
« on: July 12, 2005, 01:53:06 pm »
Hi All:

As some of you probably know, I've had friends staying with me for about 2 months, pending relocation out of state. The kids of these friends included an 11 and 10 y/o girl and a 5 and 3 y/o boy. They moved out last week (now I miss them -- my house is empty :-[ ).

Concerning kids and hot tubs, here's what I learned:

Kids ALWAYS want to get in the tub. It could be 100 out and they STILL want to go tubbing in the middle of the day.

KIDS don't have a problem with HOT water. In fact, they LOVE it. 105 was the usual temp, with 102 on the low side. The first warning sign of overheating in the 5 y/o was a red back, followed by an upset stomach. When this happened, he got OUT. BTW, that was usually after 1 HOUR at a minimum.

For kids 6 and under, specifically boys, consider using a speedo (small suit) on them. The big baggy shorts quickly fill with air and they float. This wasn't a problem until one ended up head down and had trouble standing up. Girls suits don't have this problem.

Yes, you can teach kids how to float and swim in a hot tub. By the time the 3 year old left, he was using floaties at my pool. When he moved in, he was afraid to even get in my tub.

If you have a sign near your tub that says "Hot Tub in Use, Swim Suits Optional," don't be surprised when the kids take it literally, NOT as a joke! THEN, as mom asks them "what are you DOING?!!" when you just stepped away to get something in the garage instead of watching them, they answer "Skinny Dipping, like the sign says!"

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, use the lock code on the tub before a 5 y/o gets in it. Otherwise you will be pulling out the user manual to figure out how to get it off economy cycle with no filtration except between 2:57 and 3:20 AM.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check the temperature setting BEFORE using the lock code, even if you think you got to it before the 5 y/o. Otherwise, the tub will be at 85 just as the 6 people you had over for dinner are about to get in it.

Half of the kids that get in the tub LOVE jets. The other half HATE them. Thank GOD I had a 2 zone 2 pump spa.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER leave dry towels within 10 FT of a tub that has 4 kids in it. Otherwise you will hear "Uncle Andy, I need another towel!" Also, consider checking the belt on your clothes dryer BEFORE using it 5 times a day to dry towels.

Finally, out of all the guests who have used my tub, the 4 kids that lived with me for the last few months loved it the most. Now, when I sit out there alone at night I truly miss how special it was with them. Don't exclude your kids from using your tub... the time you spend with them you will always REMEMBER.

So, THANKS Natascha, Xanadu, Roy and Wryly... I'll always remember you guys...

God Bless...

Drewski

:-/

It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

What I've Learned from Kids Using My Tub
« on: July 12, 2005, 01:53:06 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: What I've Learned from Kids Using My Tub
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 02:00:22 pm »
Hi All:

Half of the kids that get in the tub LOVE jets. The other half HATE them. Thank GOD I had a 2 zone 2 pump spa.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER leave dry towels within 10 FT of a tub that has 4 kids in it. Otherwise you will hear "Uncle Andy, I need another towel!"  

That was an exact description at my house Saturday.

Also overheard was "Waddya mean "no diving?!"

:)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 02:01:19 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 02:01:01 pm »
Now, when I sit out there alone at night I truly miss how special it was with them.

It sounds like it may be time to find someone and start making some of your own! ;D
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 04:46:27 pm »
It sounds like it may be time to find someone and start making some of your own! ;D

I have finally figured out how that whole thing works, if you need some tips.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 05:46:01 pm »
Nice. My 1 year old just loves the tub. Never above 99. I'm sure as she gets older she will love it even more. Thanks for the tips.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Soakin

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 10:14:00 pm »
KIDS don't have a problem with HOT water. In fact, they LOVE it. 105 was the usual temp, with 102 on the low side. The first warning sign of overheating in the 5 y/o was a red back, followed by an upset stomach. When this happened, he got OUT. BTW, that was usually after 1 HOUR at a minimum.
I've always been concerned about kid's bodies ability to manage heat and what the heat can do to developing reproductive parts, so we keep the tub at 97-99 max when kids are in, and limit them to 20 minutes (usually not a problem, because they are in and out so much).  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 10:14:46 pm by Soakin »

Ritz

• Vanguard 2004
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 09:08:16 am »
That post was 1 day too late!  We were panicked newbie tub owners runnning around last night trying to figure out what problem caused the temp to drop to 85 - problem was a 10 year old!  Silly of us to think we wouldn't need to lockout the temp setting....

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 11:02:12 am »
hahahaha drew I know how you feel....I have the two neighbor kids 11 and 13 that are always wanting to go in the tub. and if I let them I hear "what does this do????" and "can you really get sucked into the bottom of this?" I laugh so hard, of course I was invited to come over to their yard and play in their 15 foot soft side top ground pool, it's only 35" deep but quite refreshing when it's 99 degrees outside!  ;D  :D

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 10:24:09 am »
As stated numerous times on here,my kids LOVE the hot tub.  My 5 year old would most likely sleep in it if we let him.  Now that it is summer, my temp is in the low 90s and I dont put it above 98 or 99 in the winter.  My spa bar has no room for drinks thanks to all the squirt guns, fishy toys, kick boards, splash bombs, goggles, dive rings and other misc goodies.  It has definitely helped my son feel more comfortable in water and our neighbor's son who is afraid of pools loves to go in the hot tub(he is one of the 'no jets' kids though which drives my son nuts...LOL)  Time spent in the hot tub with my boys is always time we all enjoy....

Drewski

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 11:54:24 am »
Yes, a little trick with the squirt guns from "Evil" Uncle Drew...  Keep a gallon of water in the garage refrigerator (the one you keep SO cold that beer just starts to freeze when you open a bottle) so when the wet kids squirt dry you, you have ammo for a WEAPON.

I love it when they stand up in the tub, completely unprepared, daring you to squirt them because "WE'RE ALREADY WET!" When that 30° water from my Super Soaker CPS 1500 hits bare hot tub heated skin, the results (including the volume of the screams) are memorable!

Drewski

;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 12:31:18 pm »
dive rings ....

Dive rings?  Nobody's head, goes below water level in my tub, less they want a slap upside it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Drewski

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 03:41:27 pm »
...less they want a slap upside it.

My, my! A little rough on the guests, aren't we?  Remind me to ask for a complete set of "RULES FOR BILL'S SPA" before I get in if I ever come to visit...

;D

Drewski

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 04:03:39 pm »

My, my! A little rough on the guests, aren't we?  Remind me to ask for a complete set of "RULES FOR BILL'S SPA" before I get in if I ever come to visit...

;D

Drewski

Only that one and " There is no P in our SA"

I just have this memory of some news report of a girl wiht long hair getting it caught in a jet or intake.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Mercure

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 07:58:59 am »

Only that one and " There is no P in our SA"

I just have this memory of some news report of a girl wiht long hair getting it caught in a jet or intake.

When I read it first, I think you were overly zealous.
Now 4 days after your post, this happened:

http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=32f69298-554d-4542-8b46-51f18b6ef5d6

in french with a picture of the pool:
http://lcn.canoe.com/lcn/infos/faitsdivers/archives/2005/07/20050718-204818.html

A sad way to learn that you had a point.  :'(

Mercure
Futur owner of a spa
Sorry my mistakes, my first language is french
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 09:33:54 am by Mercure »

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 08:22:36 am »
Drewski, I am definitley going to do the 'cold' water squirt tonight with my son.  The little bugger gets me every time I walk past the spa.  Its not so bad if I am cutting the lawn and he squirts me a few times though

Bill,  unfortunately, my son loves to 'swim' in the spa.  He is 5 and it is like a big kiddie pool to him.  His loves to dunk his head and swim around.  I am not to concerned about his buzz cut getting stuck in my HS intakes although I have heard that my spa is a 'death trap'.   If I could just get my wife to not dunk her head I would be alright.  She's got the long hair with the conditioners and sprays and gunk in it....LOL....oh well, the perils of spa ownership I guess!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 08:22:36 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42