What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: nature2 ?  (Read 4005 times)

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
nature2 ?
« on: July 13, 2005, 09:46:04 am »
anybody using nature 2? what do you think?
currently using spa gard soft soak chem system. tends to be very bubbly, and the mist will sometimes irritate the wifes asthma....plus, it seems to be one of the most expensive programs going.
specs say that nature 2 cut down on the chem usage significantly. we may change to bromine type chem anyway. just looking at option right now and trying to get some good info.....
recommendations?

Hot Tub Forum

nature2 ?
« on: July 13, 2005, 09:46:04 am »

Soakin

Re: nature2 ?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 10:57:29 am »
I've never compared the cost with Soft Soak, but N2 is also expensive compared to bromine or dichlor alone.  It does allow lower residual levels, and therefore less primary sanitizer, but not enough to offset its cost.  Other than reduced chems, its primary benefit is providing a second sanitation source and more margin for error.  Most that use it seem happy with it, but I have seen posts that decided it wasn't worth the additional cost.   There was a good discussion of it here several months ago.  I'd recommend a search back for it.

IMO N2 is definitely worth considering in systems that  use dichlor and don't have ozone, (especially if you don't use the tub and dose on a regular basis), because  chlorine disapates quickly and a second sanitizing system can help protect the water in the event chlorine levels go too low for an extended period of time.  With ozone, it becomes a question of how many supplemental systems you think are necessary, and are willing to pay for.

Since you are considering bromine, I personally think N2/Frog may not be necessary, especially if you have ozone and use a floater/feeder to dispense the bromine.   Bromine is not as effective a sanitizer as chlorine, but it is more persistent (more stable at high temps, still sanitizes in amine form), and with a feeder you should be able to maintain fairly consistent residuals.  Again, it is a question of how many back-ups you want to have and pay for.  

I haven't looked at it for awhile, but I seem to recall the the Frog system is targeted primarily at bromine users, and N2 at chlorine, although I think N2 can be used with either.  Make sure you get the right one.  
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 11:58:38 am by Soakin »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 11:07:18 am »
I'm a big fan of Nature 2 (and ozone) for HELPING you keep the water cleaner/clearer. I don't like it when people have the expectation that their chem use will drastically be lowered. You'll use a bit less chems but its really there to help you avoid the cloudy/smalley water issues that frustrate people and if it does that its well worth it (and it does that IMO).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 11:15:00 am »
You should read this from a previous post...

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

GCLOUD911

• Need some sun for my cloud!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 08:15:45 pm »
I know I'm new at this and have a lot to learn, but when we went to check out tubs the 3 tubs that they had water in at the store had 3 different bases.  One was bromine based, another chlorine based and the other was running nature 2.  

The water in the spa running nature 2 looked cleaner and clearer.  When they turned on the one with the bromine in it, it got all cloudy and I told the salesman I wouldn't even want to sit in there.  We also noticed that when they took the cover off the bromine based one that we could feel it in our lungs and 3 of the 4 of us started to cough.  The salesman said he has to keep the chem levels a bit higher than we would at home with people always wet testing...just something to maybe keep in mind though if your wife has asthma?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 09:14:30 pm »
My dealer gave me a N2 cartridge as part of the start up kit. I haven't installed it yet as I wanted to see if Chas' Law comes into play.

My water is crystal clear exept for a blueish color which my dealer said is normal due to Artesian's cleaning and testing and it'll go away on the next fill - we'll see.

So far, I add 2 teaspoons of dichlor into the water after I get out and have shocked the water twice with a dichlor shock product (from the dealer) and once with MPS. I also use Spa Perfect for scum line control and also run my ozonator only 8 hours a day. If more than 1 or 2 people go in, I up the dose to 2 1/2 to 3 teaspoons.

I don't think I'm going to use the N2 at water change. Since my water quality appears great and I'm soaking in close to 0 or no chlorine using Vermonter's method, I don't see the need. MAYBE with N2 I could knock it down to 1 teaspoon but knowing me, I wouldn't believe the chlorine was high enough to kill them nasties.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 10:06:54 pm »
You should read this from a previous post...

Drewski

8)

What I stated in that post is still true.  We have NOT gone back to using a mineral purifier and I've seen no difference in the quality of our water.  If you have the extra 25-30 to spend every three months then it can't hurt but you can certainly do without it.  I'm using the same amount of chemicals now as before and our water's been great.

Ken
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

obi wan

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 10:44:12 pm »
appreciate all the input....still looking at trying diff chem program. due for a water change in the next 6 weeks or so..... will try something then.

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 08:17:56 am »
I have been using N2 for 1 1/2 years now.  IMHO I do think it makes water care easier.   I do NOT pay 25 - 30 dollars for it though.  More around the range of 15 - 16 per cartridge and my water easily lasts 4 months without issues.  I would also say my dichlor usage is about 1/2  of what I was using before I started the N2.  I have ozone and use basically just dichlor in my tub.  Less is better in my book.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 11:41:33 am »
Ditto to what spatech t.u.o. said.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 02:29:37 pm »
In the for what it is worth department, my tub has Nature2 and an ozonator.  I use dichlor as per the Vermonter's formula.  This works very well for me.  Also, I change my water every other month, but the N2 cartridge every 4 months as per the HotSpring Owners Manual.  I do not test for silver, but cannot see any difference in the overall chemical requirements or the water quality.  Which may mean either the N2 is doing nothing, or the water change does not use up the cartridge as claimed by the manufacturer.

I intend to stick with this approach unless someone here comes up with some hard data that points us differently.

Regards,

Bill

obi wan

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 04:51:25 pm »
i saw it on docs site for about $22. says it will last up to 4 months. probably going to give it a try, but i dont think its compatible with soft soak. will have to wait till next water change.

txwillie

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 04:53:49 pm »
we went to check out tubs the 3 tubs that they had water in at the store had 3 different bases.  One was bromine based, another chlorine based and the other was running nature 2.  

The water in the spa running nature 2 looked cleaner and clearer.  When they turned on the one with the bromine in it, it got all cloudy and I told the salesman I wouldn't even want to sit in there.  

that was my experience with bromine as well

txwillie

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 04:53:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42