What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Misters?  (Read 3686 times)

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
Misters?
« on: July 06, 2005, 12:55:40 pm »
Last year someone here mentioned a misting system that keeps the deck/tub area cooler.  I've looked at a few systems online, they seem to run $100-200ish.  Does anyone have any firsthand experience either in setting up a system or using it?  The one I'm looking at is called Artic Mist, supposedly it cools the air by 20degrees and the water evaporates so quickly you dont feel wet.  Sounds really neat.  

Hot Tub Forum

Misters?
« on: July 06, 2005, 12:55:40 pm »

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
Re: Misters?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 01:29:00 pm »
I've not seen one used with spas, but I did see one on HGTV or DIY or something... they were working on a hot, dry backyard in California, I believe, and the solution was to add some trees, bushes, and a mister system.  Was supposed to drop the temperature 20-30 degrees (F), so, I can't see it *not* working under dry conditions, as long as there's not a breeze to blow away the mist!
--
Lee

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 06:41:57 pm »
In the Southwest, they use "swamp coolers", which use similar technology, for cheap A/C (check out the unit on top of Budd 'Sidewinder's trailer in "Kill Bill 2")

But if you live in a high humidity area, where as soon as you walk outside you are "wearing the air", any kind of evaporative cooling isn't going to work that well.

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 08:46:39 pm »
Thx so much, John...I'm in NC...extreme humidity in summers.  Guess the misters wont be good idea here.  I just hate HOT.  

Michelle

• He said "trust me!" so I married him.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 10:32:42 pm »
Actually, evaporative coolingworks good in humid areas.  The act of evaporation requires btu's of heat and therefore, the exit air is cooler and it does not feel humid either

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 10:53:06 pm »
Misters are fine as long as they are separated from the spa water.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 12:20:35 pm »
Actually, evaporative coolingworks good in humid areas.  The act of evaporation requires btu's of heat and therefore, the exit air is cooler and it does not feel humid either

So you are saying that adding moisture to air that is already saturated with moisture produces cooler less humid air?  ???

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 12:23:00 pm »
I prefer Misses to Misters. ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 12:35:07 pm »
Not that there's anything wrong with that...  ;D ;D
--
Lee

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 12:36:34 pm »

So you are saying that adding moisture to air that is already saturated with moisture produces cooler less humid air?  ???

I was wondering on the mechanics of this myself... I think the avap coolers have a fan to blow air over the water to force the evaporation, no?  Else, I can't see how water evaps into saturated air all by itself, either!
--
Lee

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 01:05:24 pm »
 My only experience was servicing the above mention "swamp coolers", which sprayed water down a pad, which in turn a fan blew across. Same principle?

The Dennys restaurant chain had these installed as makeup/ cooling fan units for their kitchens.  They found that in high humidity areas, such as the East Coast, the added water vapor just added to the building cooling load.

I would think if one was sitting in a 100 degree tub, with surrounding air and humidity in the 90s, plus a lot of sweat to boot, a kick butt high CFM fan would do just as good.

But who knows, maybe Calicoskies can get one and let us know the results?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 01:13:38 pm »
I've seen them installed on one of the home improvement shows. looks just like water pumped through a preforated pipe.

I haven't seen anyhere in the North East, and always thought they were more for Desert (Vegas) or Tropical locations.

Here's a site I found (Google is our friend) that sells them. Click on the photos link for pix.

http://www.coolworldinc.com/
07 Caldera Geneva

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 11:49:44 am »
I have seen mister systems on E-bay for $15.00 a decent brand I think too.  The add stated 39.99 at home depot.

I also found at Walmart (.com) a misting fan ($50.00) hook the hose to the fan and fire away.  )tye fan works with out the hose too, for inside use)

On the hot islands Aruba ex. They have misting systems at the bars it is almost too hot to drink without them, yeah I said, almost   ;D

Our back yard is beat with the sun all day it is wonderful for the garden not good for the people, so I have been entertaining the idea of a mister system.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 11:49:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42